• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but who remembers the old supporters club office, a terraced building in the London Road?. You had to go up a flight of rickety stairs when you wanted to buy tickets or other items. Was it where Sainsbury's are now? IIRC wasn't there a barbers shop on the ground floor???
The building in London Road is still there it is further up than Sainsbury's on the same side and yes it was shared with a barbers shop. The Windermere Road Supporters Club is still there to this day in one form or another. Regarding the shop near Priory Park I worked in there on matchdays around about the 1980-81 season, don't remember when it shut but reckon it is about 25 years ago.

The supporter's Club "Club" was opened in 1937, in Seaview Road which I believe is now Windermere Road, the following snippets are from the local paper:

UNITED SUPPORTERS’ CLUB HEADQUARTERS
Negotiations are nearing completion by the Southend United Supporters Club to take over as their headquarters the premises formerly occupied by the Southchurch Unionist Club, in Seaview Road, Southend. Satisfactory terms have been agreed with the Brewers Messrs. Charringtons and it was hoped for the meeting on Tuesday that the lease would be signed but it is reported that the arrangements were not quite complete. The Seaview Road premises were built for a club over thirty years ago and offer ample facilities for social and recreational pursuits including billiard room, large hall etc. comfortable lounges and private rooms.
From the Southend Standard 7th October 1937.

THE SUPPORTERS NEW CLUB
The premises in Sea View Road taken over by the Supporters Club as permanent headquarters are now in the hands of the decorators for a through “spring cleaning” and it is hoped that everything will be ready for opening on the December 1st. The committee has set the annual subscription at 7s 6d (37½p) all applicants must not be less than nineteen years of age. Billiards, snooker, darts, table-tennis will be available at the new club.
From the Southend Standard 11th November 1937
Wednesday 1st December 1937

The Supporters Club Social Club
The Club was opened at Seaview Road and in the opening ceremony it was stated that for a long time the Supporters Club should have a club as well as being a club. The social club has been newly decorated both inside and out. It contains a billiard saloon with four excellent tables, a reading room and lounge with darts etc. Upstairs the large hall has been divided into two by means of a folding partition, one half being devoted to the ladies lounge, while the other is used for table tennis. The hall can be used for concerts etc. by folding back the partitions, there are also offices for the Supporters Club and Committee rooms.
From the Southend Standard 2nd December 1937

As an exiled Southchurch boy, I am aware of the Windermere Road building, and have often wondered about its current standing. I have even thought of screwing up all my courage and creating my first ever thread, but now you have ruined it!

During my time living in the area (pre 1978), it was always signed "Southend United Supporters Club". On my last visit to see my Mum (I am a loving son, but my regular weekend visits to see my Mum never, ever coincide with an away match, not sure whether she has noticed), I even drove down Windermere Road, and I saw that it was now badged as something like "The Supporter" (I may not be 100% correct with the name there, it was a few days ago and I am getting old).

Does anyone know if it is still affiliated to/owned by the club. Or the Supporters' Club??

The supporter's Club "Club" was opened in 1937, in Seaview Road which I believe is now Windermere Road, the following snippets are from the local paper:

UNITED SUPPORTERS’ CLUB HEADQUARTERS
Negotiations are nearing completion by the Southend United Supporters Club to take over as their headquarters the premises formerly occupied by the Southchurch Unionist Club, in Seaview Road, Southend. Satisfactory terms have been agreed with the Brewers Messrs. Charringtons and it was hoped for the meeting on Tuesday that the lease would be signed but it is reported that the arrangements were not quite complete. The Seaview Road premises were built for a club over thirty years ago and offer ample facilities for social and recreational pursuits including billiard room, large hall etc. comfortable lounges and private rooms.
From the Southend Standard 7th October 1937.

THE SUPPORTERS NEW CLUB
The premises in Sea View Road taken over by the Supporters Club as permanent headquarters are now in the hands of the decorators for a through “spring cleaning” and it is hoped that everything will be ready for opening on the December 1st. The committee has set the annual subscription at 7s 6d (37½p) all applicants must not be less than nineteen years of age. Billiards, snooker, darts, table-tennis will be available at the new club.
From the Southend Standard 11th November 1937
Wednesday 1st December 1937

The Supporters Club Social Club
The Club was opened at Seaview Road and in the opening ceremony it was stated that for a long time the Supporters Club should have a club as well as being a club. The social club has been newly decorated both inside and out. It contains a billiard saloon with four excellent tables, a reading room and lounge with darts etc. Upstairs the large hall has been divided into two by means of a folding partition, one half being devoted to the ladies lounge, while the other is used for table tennis. The hall can be used for concerts etc. by folding back the partitions, there are also offices for the Supporters Club and Committee rooms.
From the Southend Standard 2nd December 1937

Thanks for that. It sounded quite an ambitious undertaking..............so, it would be interesting to know how we 'progressed' from there to an upstairs flat over a barbers shop on the London Road? Financial problems of an earlier nature? :winking:

Last edited:
Does NO ONE remember this...........I'm suddenly starting to feel VERY old...........Cricko, if you're still there, help me out! i assure you it did exist, I'm not going doolally...

Yogi,
Sorry to disappoint but Cricko's younger than me (we were fellow boarders at Highfield College back in the 60's)and therefore much younger than you. :winking:

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It sounded quite an ambitious undertaking..............so, it would be interesting to know how we 'progressed' from there to an upstairs flat over a barbers shop on the London Road? Financial problems of an earlier nature? :winking:

To set the scene Ted Birnie had nearly got us promotion in 1932 but he had retired through ill health, David Jack (the David Beckham of his time) had taken over plus we moved to a brand new ground at Grainger Road in 1934, which brought huge expectations of the club (in David Jacks first season we had to apply for re-election). Southend had become the glamour club of the lower divisions, sides like Olympic Marseille wanted to play the Blues (see article in the next issue of All at Sea out for the Rochdale match).

In short everything at the club was booming apart from on the pitch (as always), hence the enthusiasm led to the bold move of the Windermere Road Club. It was a time of virtually no TV, little radio, so what better way than to get together with your fellow shrimpers and play billiards while your wives had a good natter elsewhere in the club. However this was 1937 and although the war was two years away preparations were already in hand with practice air raids etc. and the world was about to change.

The power of the Supporters Club at this time shouldn't be underestimated. In 1950 it was they that demanded, paid for and largely built Roots Hall, but times had changed by now TV was a lot more widespread and the attraction of the social club was less. Being situated in Southchurch it was more isolated from Roots Hall than it had been from the Stadium, and then of course a new Social Club was created the SHRIMPERS CLUB at Roots Hall.

From memory the Shrimpers used to be open seven nights a week, we used to go there on occasion on non match nights, and for overnight coach trips the Shrimpers would often be used for pre-trip drinks.

Is the Shrimpers open now other than match days?
How often do people go in there?

Speaking of cost of going to a match, ( I will put the costs in Decimal!) in 1966...

Bus fare from Basildon 22p return, 22.5p admission 2.5p transfer to the West stand, 1.5p for a tiny square programme.

Strange to think in those days, the bus fare cost little less everything else put together!

Speaking of cost of going to a match, ( I will put the costs in Decimal!) in 1966...

Bus fare from Basildon 22p return, 22.5p admission 2.5p transfer to the West stand, 1.5p for a tiny square programme.

Strange to think in those days, the bus fare cost little less everything else put together!

Hi RobM Are you sure about admission? 22.5p is 4/6p old money I would have thought more like 12.5p (2/6d) transfer to the west was as you say 2.5p (6d) programmes were 1.5p (4d) up to 1964 but then went up to 2.5p (6d) and were this in 1966.

Hi RobM Are you sure about admission? 22.5p is 4/6p old money I would have thought more like 12.5p (2/6d) transfer to the west was as you say 2.5p (6d) programmes were 1.5p (4d) up to 1964 but then went up to 2.5p (6d) and were this in 1966.

mine was 2 bob,two shillings(real money),that is now 10 new!!pence, admission fee, plus as you say, 6d, 2.5 new pence, prog...that was in real money ,half a crown...real money,real football,top fans..good old days:thumbsup:

My recall is in old money, adult bus fare 4/5. Junior 2/3' admission 1/6 adult, 9d junior.

It was 47 years ago and I was only small so the memory may be a tad hazy. Happy to be corrected, m'lud!

mine was 2 bob,two shillings(real money),that is now 10 new!!pence, admission fee, plus as you say, 6d, 2.5 new pence, prog...that was in real money ,half a crown...real money,real football,top fans..good old days:thumbsup:

My recall is in old money, adult bus fare 4/5. Junior 2/3' admission 1/6 adult, 9d junior.

It was 47 years ago and I was only small so the memory may be a tad hazy. Happy to be corrected, m'lud!

Now you're talking.

I was a bus conductor with Eastern National at the time of decimalisation,Feb.1971.

EN in their great wisdom decided on a price hike at exactly the the same time as decimalisation came in.

Cue dozens of angry punters working out their old fares in the new decimal currency only to be told that their fares had just gone up.

What a great PR exercise that was (not).:nope:

There was a newspaper strike when matches were being played at Grainger road but I cannot recall the year. On leaving the ground one day there was a paper seller outside so in my innocent youth I took a copy home for my father thinking he would be pleased. He was not happy as it was a communist publication and I cannot remember its title either.

What ever happened to the Eastern Professional Foodlight League that I can recall many many years ago?

Back