• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When i went on the 'Brother Grimms' supporters club coach to Plymouth in 1975, the cost was £5. This was for the coach fare and overnight acc in a Plymoutn B & B, returning the next day.

Now you're talking.

I was a bus conductor with Eastern National at the time of decimalisation,Feb.1971.

EN in their great wisdom decided on a price hike at exactly the the same time as decimalisation came in.

Cue dozens of angry punters working out their old fares in the new decimal currency only to be told that their fares had just gone up.

What a great PR exercise that was (not).:nope:
I was a conductor with Southend Transport back in the early 60s , used to play football and cricket for them , played in the Southend Wednesday League in football, dont s/pose thats going anymore.On a lighter note when i was just a kid Staurday mornings used to ride my Billy cart down to the coal yard at the gas works get coke for the week mum gave me sixpence pockey money for that , then again for next door neighbour another sixpence pocket money, then off to Saturday morning pictures , mickey mouse club etc . IF sufc were playing at home used to go in afternoon , climb over a wll into the toilets then walk out and find a place behind Harry Threadgolds goal, those were the days.:smile:

Now you're talking.

I was a bus conductor with Eastern National at the time of decimalisation,Feb.1971.

EN in their great wisdom decided on a price hike at exactly the the same time as decimalisation came in.

Cue dozens of angry punters working out their old fares in the new decimal currency only to be told that their fares had just gone up.

What a great PR exercise that was (not).:nope:

Only Tories spell Guevara wrong.

When i went on the 'Brother Grimms' supporters club coach to Plymouth in 1975, the cost was £5. This was for the coach fare and overnight acc in a Plymoutn B & B, returning the next day.
I remember spending two days trying to raise the £1.50 i would need to go to (and get in the ground) Watford in September 1974. We had made a great start to the season and were top of the old Third Division. I can still feel the excitement of being on the Brothers Grimm coach heading towards the North Circular. Needless to say, we lost 0-2 and slipped down the league like a cold lager on a hot day!

The Club opened the gates 10 minutes from the end to allow people to leave early. It was then possible to get in for the last 10 minutes for free. An 11 year old mighn't have had the money to pay the entrance. Certainly I often did this when short of funds.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread which has brought back so many memories. When I was away from a radio rushing to get the evening papers. Waiting for the delivery van to throw the trussed up papers at the newspaper vendors. Their shouts of "Classified". Were the classified papers pink?

Thanks very much for that.........senility is still a little way away! :smile: I reckon it was 5-2 match I saw the end of and it fits in with a night game. The friendly was probably after I had left college and anyway, wasn't in term time. Nor can I believe that there would have been a crowded stadium (15000?) for a friendly match. The only thing that remains a mystery, is why, at eleven years of age and living in Thorpe Bay at the time, would I have turned up for the end of an evening match???..........strange! Perhaps it was in 1965 after all! God knows

Between '62 and '65 I was a student at the wonderful prefabricated building in Dowsett Avenue, that housed Southend Art School. During that time I attended evening classes and some, unfortunately, clashed with the Blues games. It was, however, possible to run down to Roots Hall at the end of the course and they used to open the large gates to the South (north) banks, about ten minutes before the end. I distinctly remember arriving like that one evening for a game against Norwich City and had to squeeze in the top corner of a packed South stand.
Wonderful story...............unfortunately, I've just checked and it doesn't add up! :stunned: My memory is obviously playing tricks on me because the last time we played Norwich City, before the nineties, was 1659-60 and that's pre-art school days. I'm SURE I only saw the last ten minutes, I'm pretty sure it was Norwich City.....the 5-2 win in '57-'58 rings a bell? Was it a night match or was it mid-winter and consequently dark at 4.30???? Can anyone help me out?..........a rather confused bear.
1659 , Bl888y hell your old YOGI.Way before my time , tell me what was the football made of them days , i reckon someones head :omg::smile:

Like buffalowolf I used to bunk in when money was tight. Either behind the scoreboard on the South Bank or down the alley in Shakespeare Drive and over the wall into the toilets. Remember waiting until I heard the sound of the turnstiles clicking before making my entry. The stench was unbearable, but worth it. I'd join the 2-4-6-8 gang behind the goal, Southend's first choir I believe.

The barber shop below the Supporters Club in London Road was called Costas. My mate Barry James used to work there.

Last edited:
Like buffalowolf I used to bunk in when money was tight. Either behind the scoreboard on the South Bank or down the alley in Shakespeare Drive and over the wall into the toilets. Remember waiting until I heard the sound of the turnstiles clicking before making my entry. The stench was unbearable, but worth it. I'd join the 2-4-6-8 gang behind the goal, Southend's first choir I believe.

The barber shop below the Supporters Club in London Road was called Costas. My mate Barry James used to work there.

Talking of toilets did anyone have the misfortune to go in the North Bank toilets at the York match. The lights were out, it was pitch black, very smelly and you had to tread very carefully when in their as you had no idea where you were or who if anyone was in front of you, Even "hard men" looked very nervous about entering,

Not pleasant at all.

Talking of toilets did anyone have the misfortune to go in the North Bank toilets at the York match. The lights were out, it was pitch black, very smelly and you had to tread very carefully when in their as you had no idea where you were or who if anyone was in front of you, Even "hard men" looked very nervous about entering,

Not pleasant at all.

Not sure if that's been reported back to the club or not, but clearly a H&S issue so I'll pass it on.

Back