• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've got a few of those, not as many as I thought I might have when I read their reasoning behind the list though. F*ck it, it's better to have someone hate what you do than show indifference. And I agree with them about Transformer, won't be throwing it out though seeing as I've got it on near-mint condition vinyl...

My nomination: David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars or whatever it's called. From what I'd read of it before I heard it, I was really looking forward to hearing it, and rushed out to buy it. I was so disappointed to find it to be a dull, turgid mess of a record. Radiohead are prozac compared to that thing. And it was responsible for bloody Bauhaus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 22 2005,10:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 22 2005,09:35)]Just read the list and I agree with a lot of them, I had thought of Sgt Peppers
Absolutely everything by The Beatles should be on there. Surely the most over-rated band ever, for Christ's sake The Monkees made better records (and they're banal).

What is it about Lennon and McCartney that has people fawning over them. The best Beatles recordings were written by George Harrison, i.e "Something", "Here Comes The Sun" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Within You, Without You"
mad.gif
I recall being roundly abused at Junior school (ooo er) in 1968 for being the only kid who didn't like the Beatles.

I do like their early stuff, though. Its got that raw edge to it. but Sgt Peppers onwards ...........
As for McCartney and Wings....

I think the compilers of the list have an issue with anything they feel to be a tad pretentious, So why isn't Queens a night at the Opera in there ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 22 2005,10:32)]What is it about Lennon and McCartney that has people fawning over them. The best Beatles recordings were written by George Harrison, i.e "Something", "Here Comes The Sun" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Within You, Without You"
mad.gif
I agree to the extent that the most overplayed Beatles songs are, quite frequently very tame efforts. I completely disagree to the extent that they made a huge number of excellent records. Add to this that there was enough talent in the band to fill a small orchestra and that Sgt Pepper's one of my favourite albums in my collection.

What probably would have shaped my opinion is that I was an Oasis teenager and they worshipped the Beatles.

I can't believe they had the cheek to have a bash at Smash. Damn them. Damn them to hell.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 22 2005,11:34)]I think the compilers of the list have an issue with anything they feel to be a tad pretentious, So why  isn't Queens a night at the Opera in there ?
Look in the dictionary for the definition for pretentious, and it just says:

Queen, "A Night at the Opera" and "A Day at the Races"

I think the only Beatles song I like is from Sgt Pepper and that is "A Day in the Life" a Lennon song, at a guess.

I disagree with quite a few of the author's pet hates, with some of them it seems he's deliberately being controversial. I#d be interested to see his list of top 100 albums you should own....

A Day At The Races and A Night At The Opera may well be pretentious albums but that does not make them bad... still, I'm also surprised that he has not included them given the rest of his selections....

As for the Beatles.... after Sergeant Pepper they did go downhill, but their early music was exceptional and they were probably one of the most creative bands around at the time. To say the Monkees made better songs is criminal, even more so considering they neither wrote the songs nor played any instruments on them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 22 2005,12:05)]To say the Monkees made better songs is criminal, even more so considering they neither wrote the songs nor played any instruments on them.
Didn't they? C'mon you'll be telling me that Milli Vanilli didn't really sing on "Girl, you know it's true"
biggrin.gif

I said that the Monkees were banal, just that, as a package (singing, playing, writing or not) I prefer some of their songs to those of The Beatles (1 good song, in my opinion, and that's all it is an opinion). Their early stuff, which seems popular based on replies, is in my opinion Identikit early 60's uninspiring pop, and the later stuff, I think, gets a little better, but not much.

I wish they hadn't split in 1970 though, as that would have saved the world from Wings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 22 2005,12:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 22 2005,12:05)]To say the Monkees made better songs is criminal, even more so considering they neither wrote the songs nor played any instruments on them.
Didn't they? C'mon you'll be telling me that Milli Vanilli didn't really sing on "Girl, you know it's true"
biggrin.gif

I said that the Monkees were banal, just that, as a package (singing, playing, writing or not) I prefer some of their songs to those of The Beatles (1 good song, in my opinion, and that's all it is an opinion). Their early stuff, which seems popular based on replies, is in my opinion Identikit early 60's uninspiring pop, and the later stuff, I think, gets a little better, but not much.

I wish they hadn't split in 1970 though, as that would have saved the world from Wings.
Milli Vanilli? Christ, that takes me back....!

wow.gif

Music will always be an emotive topic, as pretty much everyone has different tastes and will defend theirs to the hilt.
When I said that their early stuff was better two of the albums I had in mind were Revolver and Rubber Soul, both of which (in my opinion, Revolver especially so) were innovative and different to most other sixties pop that was around at the time (or what I've heard from sixties compilation albums) Their later career I think they got too weird for their own good and one of their weakest albums was Let It Be, their last.

Having said that, I also wish that we could have been spared the torture of Wings....!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 22 2005,09:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 22 2005,09:09)]BTW, can't wait to see what Matt the Shrimp thinks of 90.
wink.gif

smile.gif
Incidentally, can't wait to see what Shrimper James makes of 58...

oops.gif

tounge.gif
If he thinks it's bad he should hear what Ben Folds himself has to say about it!

tounge.gif

I'm more shocked that The Soft Bulletin is in there, that's a cracking album. As for Vs, always said it was the weaker Pearl Jam album- i still wouldn't remove it from my collection though, obviously.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 22 2005,12:31)]and Frank Sinatra didnt write any of his songs.

So what- why should songwriting deflect from good music as entertainment?
I didn't mean that, I probably used that particular point out of context.
There are of course plenty of artists who did not write their own material yet produced excellent music, Frank Sinatra was a good example while the Motown label in the sixties used stock songwriters, like Holland-Dozier-Holland who wrote some fantastic tunes, while I don't believe Elvis Presley wrote much of his own music either, and many people enjoy his music too.

The guy is a moron - only one Sealion Dion album and even then very low down. She is, without doubt, the anti-christ. I don't know one person who owns one of her albums or who likes her. Who are these people that buy her music?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 22 2005,12:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 22 2005,12:33)]Having said that, I also wish that we could have been spared the torture of Wings....!
Woeful.
down.gif
but Wings had one saving grace- one of the best Bond theme tunes!

Which gives me an idea for a new poll!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 22 2005,12:52)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ June 22 2005,12:33)]Having said that, I also wish that we could have been spared the torture of Wings....!
Woeful.
down.gif
but Wings had one saving grace-
For a minute, I thought you were going to say Linda.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 22 2005,12:51)]The guy is a moron - only one Sealion Dion album and even then very low down.  She is, without doubt, the anti-christ.  I don't know one person who owns one of her albums or who likes her.  Who are these people that buy her music?
Too bloody right. All her albums should be wiped off the face of the earth for being complete arse.

Someone should also gain an injunction so she cannot inflict her wailing upon us any more.

Quite why anyone would want to buy such wanton trash is beyond me, too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 22 2005,12:15)]I said that the Monkees were banal, just that, as a package (singing, playing, writing or not) I prefer some of their songs to those of The Beatles (1 good song, in my opinion, and that's all it is an opinion). Their early stuff, which seems popular based on replies, is in my opinion Identikit early 60's uninspiring pop, and the later stuff, I think, gets a little better, but not much.
I too prefer Daydream believer to any One Beatles song

Especially with the Barry Fry words in it !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 22 2005,12:52)]
[b said:
[b said:
Woeful.
down.gif
but Wings had one saving grace- one of the best Bond theme tunes!

Which gives me an idea for a new poll!
They did a good cover of the theme from Crossroads as well.

Ok, out of that hundred I own 15 of them. Out of the 15 I own I would say that only 'Pearl Jam - Vs' would I agree with.

I would also quite confidently say that the new Coldplay album will be on the list for most people before long.

Back