• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Interesting nominations at www.jaguaro.org

A few "eyebrow raisers":

Nirvana - Nevermind
"Yeah, yeah - I realize that this is the one that broke grunge's doors wide open and made Seattle a place to be reckoned with. Are we sure that's good? At best, Nevermind is an overrated Pixies tribute album that was blasted from every goddamn dorm room I skulked past in college (instead of the Pixies). Not to mention the fact that alt-rawk stations have bled this album of any magic it might have had by overplaying it. Fair to middling at best, but not the Second Coming. And "Smells Like Teen Spirit" IS the "Stairway to Heaven" of our generation, folks. This is the record you will embarrass your children with."

U2 - The Joshua Tree
"Oh, to be earnest, politically correct, Christian, and filthy rich. It's been 15 years since the birth of this critical and popular favorite, and U2-worship still hasn't been eradicated. When will it stop? When you do the right thing and retire this pompous collection of religious rock songs, that's when."

Bob Marley & the Wailers - Legend
"While there's nothing inherently wrong with Bob Marley or the song selection on this greatest hits collection, there is something wrong with the omnipresence of this CD. It is the Hotel California or "Stairway to Heaven" of the reggae world, which means that its fans have ruined the album for everyone, including you, by playing it into the ground. Every Birkenstock-wearing, hackey-sack-playing, REI-shopping ******* in the whole world has played this disc at every party, gathering, and road trip in the history of the world, and I for one have had enough. Now it's my turn to get up and stand up for MY rights. If you don't remove this from your collection, I will."

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
"These "funksters" are a testament to the triumph of style over substance in modern music. Once you get past the tattoos, piercings, and tube socks on their cocks, the Chili Peppers were just another over-hyped L.A. band. Don't accept anything less than 50 cents when you sell this disc at your used record store. Give it away give it away give it away now."

SZ nominations are ... ?

WS

Well, I underatand that they must be going for the controversial approach but I can't agree with Blood Sugar Sex Magik one bit. If that chap had wondered to Hyde Park where we could barely see the stage let alone the Chilis themselves and 'merely' had 2 hours of the music to keep us there whilst our bladders inflated like hot air balloons, he'd surely remove them straight away.

Perhaps for other nominations of albums that should be in there from my perspective painted in controversy....

The Strokes - Is This It. Yes, they sounded great with their throwback sound but when the simplicity seems too simple and the grating vocals grate too much, there's not much left. It's definitely not top 20 albums of all time material as seemingly every poll on albums since its release would suggest. Please get rid so that the hype of this album that overshadowed a lack of substance can be dampened.

The Scissor Sisters - The Scissor Sisters. Whoever had the idea of putting two outrageously camp front acts with some deluded backing has a lot to answer for. I can only imagine what Pink Floyd made of their abducted and mutilated child. Funny for a while, now get rid before we have to endure any more.

That's all i can think of for now other than the obvious

tounge.gif

Dido - No Angel

No Angel? No f***ing talent more like.

David Gray - White Ladder

Sail Away? If he came down my local he'd be f***ing running away. Fast.

No.9 BITCHES BREW by Miles Davis.

As a well known lover of this groundbreaking album i would definitely disagree.

Sure it is a bit obscure and it's not for the small minded music lover, but it is one of the most groundbreaking albums ever, and spawned disarray in music journalism at the time.
This album came out in 1968 which was full of smiling Beatles, Dancing Hermans Hermits and other fun groups.
Then,  BANG, along came this dark, broody and esoteric music by an enigmatic musician which sounded absolutely astounding and like nothing else ever made!!

It is a seriously great album which you should hear at least once and consider  when it was made, and the worlds climate at the time to realize how explosive it was ( and still is ).
The liner notes to this album have two great quotes about Bitched Brew-
1. - " Music will never be the same after this"
2. - " It's all in there. The beauty, the terror and the love".

It in all sincerity changed my perception of music totally, and music to me has never been the same since i frst heard it in  1996.
It is exciting, explosive, intense and will evoke an immediate reaction to the listener like no other album.
It's like Witchcraft on Vinyl.

I say with all sincerity, buy it immediately.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ June 22 2005,04:32)]No.9 BITCHES BREW by Miles Davis.

Sure it is a bit obscure and it's not for the small minded music lover, but it is one of the most groundbreaking albums ever, and spawned disarray in music journalism at the time.
This album came out in 1968 which was full of smiling Beatles, Dancing Hermans Hermits and other fun groups.
Then,  BANG, along came this dark, broody and esoteric music by an enigmatic musician which sounded absolutely terrifying!!

It is a seriously great album which you should hear at least once and consider  when it was made and the worlds climate at the time to realize how explosive it was ( and still is ).

It in all sincerity changed my perception of music totally, and music to me has never been the same since i frst heard it in  1996.

As an ex pat in Australia surely you should be reviewing the works of Angry Anderson, Savage Garden and Olivia Newton John?

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 22 2005,04:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ June 22 2005,04:32)]No.9 BITCHES BREW by Miles Davis.

Then,  BANG, along came this dark, broody and esoteric music by an enigmatic musician which sounded absolutely terrifying!!

It is a seriously great album which you should hear at least once and consider  when it was made and the worlds climate at the time to realize how explosive it was ( and still is ).

As an ex pat in Australia surely you should be reviewing the works of Angry Anderson, Savage Garden and Olivia Newton John?

smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

I've just thought of another ubiquitous album (Maybe I am showing my age here)

The War of the Worlds - Jeff Wayne et al

The story is great but since when has David Essex added value to any project?

If people like David Essex were admitted into the British army it's no wonder the Martians kicked our arses.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 22 2005,04:56)]I've just thought of another ubiquitous album (Maybe I am showing my age here)

The War of the Worlds - Jeff Wayne et al

The story is great but since when has David Essex added value to any project?

I people like David Essex were admitted into the British army it's no wonder the Martians kicked our arses.
I presume this generally concerns top selling albums which, with hindsight, were not all they were cracked up to be
biggrin.gif

Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield, IMHO the most overrated Album of all Times

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the moon. Listen to it in the morning, stone cold sober and free of anything chemical, then bin it....

Out of the Blue - ELO, Why does almost everyone over 40 have this tripe

Sex Pistols - Never mind the b******s. Primarily because nearly everyone bought it to be "cool" played it once and never played it again, Keep it only if you have listened to it in the last 6 months (and if you have got Great Rock and Roll Swindle, go see a doctor ! )

The Verve- Urban Hymns: pile of over-indulgent mid-paced chest beating macho bilge...'oh child, my lord' etc etc. All their worst tendencies condensed onto one long-player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 22 2005,01:21)]Dido - No Angel

No Angel? No f***ing talent more like.

David Gray - White Ladder

Sail Away? If he came down my local he'd be f***ing running away. Fast.
laugh.gif

It is a welcome return to the boards of Mad Cyril's local. He will not be surprised to learn, moreover, that not only do I own White Ladder, but I actually quite enjoy it...!

oops.gif
tounge.gif

However, I heartily concur with my learned friend about Ms. Dido. It's shockingly bad.

suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 22 2005,09:09)]BTW, can't wait to see what Matt the Shrimp thinks of 90.
wink.gif

smile.gif
tounge.gif

1. I'm afraid Sting has been on the slide since the early 90s. Ten Summoners' Tales is a curate's egg of an album - there's some good stuff on there (Shape of My Heart, Fields of Gold), there's a bit of "Sting By Numbers" (Seven Days) and the rest is largely forgettable.

2. As the bloke said, Sting did then go on to try his hand at Country & Western in the lamentably poor Mercury Falling, his weakest album to date. At least Brand New Day has seen a mild return to form and a dabbling in something new (world music).

Unexpectedly, perhaps, I'm not going to quibble too hard with that one. Ten Summoners' Tales (which was, incidentally, a poor pun on his surname to start off with) isn't a patch on his first three solo albums...

oops.gif

Matt

Just read the list and I agree with a lot of them, I had thought of Sgt Peppers and The police third album (couldn't remeber the name until I saw the list) beforehand.
Proud to say I have not got any of them, but then again my tastes are no exactly wide.....

Hmm, not sure about

<span style='color:blue'>34. Dave Brubeck - Time Out
My dad said that when he was a young hipster when this was released in 1959, it was de rigueur own this to make your record collection cool, even if you never stuck it on your turntable. Times haven't changed - you never play this one either. Admit it and get rid of it.
</span>

Doesn't sound like they've listened to it, so that's not much of a basis for chucking it out of the collection.  That said, I would always suggest people to go for Time Further Out... a truly masterful album.

cool.gif

But this, however, is spot on:

<span style='color:blue'>45. Celine Dion - Colour of My Love
This freakish French Canadian warbler is... oh f*** it. You already know this sucks.
</span>

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ June 22 2005,09:35)]Just read the list and I agree with a lot of them, I had thought of Sgt Peppers
Absolutely everything by The Beatles should be on there. Surely the most over-rated band ever, for Christ&#39;s sake The Monkees made better records (and they&#39;re banal).

What is it about Lennon and McCartney that has people fawning over them. The best Beatles recordings were written by George Harrison, i.e &quot;Something&quot;, &quot;Here Comes The Sun&quot; and &quot;While My Guitar Gently Weeps&quot;, &quot;Within You, Without You&quot;
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 22 2005,10:08)]81. The Presidents of the United States of America - Self-titled

Well I like it. And so does Spinner.

smile.gif
And ...?&#33;

WS

wink.gif

Naps, you haven&#39;t dropped a name for, oooo, hours&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ June 22 2005,10:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 22 2005,10:08)]81. The Presidents of the United States of America - Self-titled

Well I like it. And so does Spinner.

smile.gif
And ...?!

WS

wink.gif

Naps, you haven't dropped a name for, oooo, hours!
I meant Spinner from my department!

laugh.gif
suspect.gif

Back