• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

One of the best Night's For England International Football?

J

The Chameleon
Well?

On One hand, i think this is one of the best possible things that has happened to england, and the fa. For once, these ****s, who are overpriced, over sexed, molly coddled, **** takers, who are not fit to wear the shirt, may finally think to themselves what a shower of **** they are!

Tonight has come about for a fair few reasons.
1. TOO MANY!!! Foreign players, yes call me a racist, i'm sure you will, but without chances being given to young kids, (not theo bloody walcott!!!) how can you expect to achieve a long term success at international level..
2. The english players we do have are ****e.... yes they are. They spend their time, ****ing about, wrapped in cotton wool, complaining about the amount of games they play, more worried about hair styles and the size of their car engine..
3. ****ING WAGS! This ****es me off, only could this country concentrate more on what new ****ing hat cheryll tweedie has, instead of worrying about the real problems on the pitch.
4.Steve the **** Mclaren, who? A man, who was deputy to one of the most boring useless managers in history... then given the job, to prove his worth?
5. The ***** not proud to play for their country, there must be 40 million people who would give their right arm to play for country at anything!!
No passion, no pride, just stuck up pompus pricks, who won't get out of bed for less than 10 grand a day... scummers.

There is some exceptions, i feel really sorry for- campbell, gerrard, owen... and to some extent Beckham, who has shown time after time how much he loves playing for his country.

Why is this good for english football? Because it may make them review the position of the england football team, and the football league as whole.
No more wags going to the hotels etc, no more ****ing about with foreigners in the top leagues (limit it!!!! like cricket!!)

It may make some of those sorry excuses of football players look at themselves.. and may kick 'emselves up the ****ing ****!!!!!!!

Well?

On One hand, i think this is one of the best possible things that has happened to england, and the fa. For once, these ****s, who are overpriced, over sexed, molly coddled, **** takers, who are not fit to wear the shirt, may finally think to themselves what a shower of **** they are!

1. TOO MANY!!! Foreign players, yes call me a racist, i'm sure you will, but without chances being given to young kids, (not theo bloody wilcott!!!) how can you expect to achieve a long term success at international level..

etc...

Apart from the Poppy thread a little while back, there's very little I've read from (CS) J that I've agreed with. This however, SPOT ON.

Some will be harder to change than others (the foreign player for example, by law, cannot be stopped from coming here to play - that's the EU getting in the way), but if tonight forces those in charge to look at, and attempt to answer, some VERY awkward questions then it wont have been in vain.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the aforementioned 'powers that be' will do their usual job of sticking their head in the sand and hoping for the best, as tonight will clearly be 'a slight hiccup for English football'.

Well?

1. TOO MANY!!! Foreign players, yes call me a racist, i'm sure you will, but without chances being given to young kids, (not theo bloody walcott!!!) how can you expect to achieve a long term success at international level..
2. The english players we do have are ****e.... yes they are. They spend their time, ****ing about, wrapped in cotton wool, complaining about the amount of games they play, more worried about hair styles and the size of their car engine..
3. ****ING WAGS! This ****es me off, only could this country concentrate more on what new ****ing hat cheryll tweedie has, instead of worrying about the real problems on the pitch.
4.Steve the **** Mclaren, who? A man, who was deputy to one of the most boring useless managers in history... then given the job, to prove his worth?
5. The ***** not proud to play for their country, there must be 40 million people who would give their right arm to play for country at anything!!
No passion, no pride, just stuck up pompus pricks, who won't get out of bed for less than 10 grand a day... scummers.

There is some exceptions, i feel really sorry for- campbell, gerrard, owen... and to some extent Beckham, who has shown time after time how much he loves playing for his country.

Why is this good for english football? Because it may make them review the position of the england football team, and the football league as whole.
No more wags going to the hotels etc, no more ****ing about with foreigners in the top leagues (limit it!!!! like cricket!!)

It may make some of those sorry excuses of football players look at themselves.. and may kick 'emselves up the ****ing ****!!!!!!!

I can't help fearing that the result of this will be harmful for the international game in England rather than the kick up the backside English football needs. Why? Instead of turning attention to righting the many wrongs in English football, we'll look inwards. We'll instead kid ourselves that international football is somehow inferior to the $hite that is the champion$ l€agu€. Who needs the European Championships when you've got the pr€mi€r$hit€?

There's only one way English football is going to be fixed: the premi€r$hit€ needs to be castrated. Rip the power away from the likes of Manch€$t€r Utd, Ar$€nal, Ch€l$éa and Liv€rpool.

ps If you want to see good football switch over to Sky Sports 1 where Uruguay are giving Brazil a real game. Its so much more entertaining than the poor fare we are fed and told is the best in the world. Both teams are technically adept, they play attacking football with great movement and angles at good pace. Its not just Uruguay v Brazil, Peru and Venezuala, Chile and Argentina, all these teams have been playing really enterprising football. Rebel against the crap that we are told is the best league in the world: it clearly isn't.

1. TOO MANY!!! Foreign players, yes call me a racist, i'm sure you will, but without chances being given to young kids
That argument doesnt work J. If we didnt have the foregin players the Premier league would be full of old players who would have retired. A young kid who is of a high standard will be spotted.

In theory we have good individuals. We just dont have a good team.

i hate the "too many foreigners" line. we were **** before the prem exploded after usa '94. the english league was dire and to be honest, most of the foreigners could teach our players a thing or two.

good young players will force their way into teams above anyone ... look at john terry, he got into chelsea team above desailly and lebouef.

I am not sure about the too many foreigners in our game argument, as by the very nature of our leagues, we have always had Scots, Irish & Welsh players who cannot play for England. Liverpool fielded a cup final side in the late 80's without one English player. Therefore this phenomema is not a recent thing.

Also we failed to qualify for the World Cup in 74, the Euros in 76, the World Cup again in 78, the Euros in 84, and the World Cup in 94, is this because of too many foreigners? No, it was because we weren't good enough. During the period from 77 up until Heysel English clubs dominated in Europe, but our international side was poor, and still is, a fact that is quite plain in light of last nights demise.

J makes the point about McLaren being assistant to the most useless England manager ever in Eriksson. I would argue otherwise, in terms of qualification for tournaments Eriksson had a 100% record, something no other England manager, possibly apart from Walter Winterbottom, can boast. Ramsey failed in 74, Robson in 84, not forgetting Revie, Greenwood and the idiot Taylor.

IMO we need an England manager who will be strong in his dealings with the FA, and who can motivate players to perform as a team at this level. You don't have to have absolute world class players to win these competions, Greece in 2004 is a case in point. I've heard all the arguments about wanting an English manager, but exactly who?

I doubt that someone like Mourinho would want the job, and all that goes with it including our wonderful media. IMO Martin O'Neill should have been appointed post Eriksson, and I still think he is the best man for the job.

I will probably get flamed for this but if you want an putrageous punt, what about Paul Ince? Young enough to have played with or against this current crop of England players, and seemingly inspirational as a manager, albeit at Macclesfield & franchise fc.

The day O'neill takes over will be the day i stop going...

Moruinho, or even coppell.

Why not O'Neill?

Probably from a certain perspective because he's an ex Celtic manager who hails from Catholic Belfast. Might be too hard for the stupid British anthem* singing masses to deal with!

* - we need an anthem for England, as somebody who detests the royal family with a passion I don't understand the need to sing God Save The Queen constantly at international matches, it was really the only consistent song you could hear 80,000 people singing last night. Fair enough it gets sung before the game & that's always been the way (I don't agree with the sentiments of the song but I don't have to join in) but to break into it spontaneously 5 or 6 times during the game seems really w@nky to me & certainly never was the case when I went to England games regularly 7-12 years ago!

Spot on J

I was thinking about this on the train this morning...

To promote Youngsters coming through we need to maximise the numer of home grown players in the Prem.

How about
Setting wage caps in each division (say 2k pw lg 2, 4k lg 1 ,6k Championship 10k Prem) with bonuses limited to 2 per player and 10% of wages max

Paying players (and paying them well) to play for england, (ie 20k if they get picked for the squad, 40k if they play in a friendly , 60k for a competetive fixture) and only pick those who play in the UK (thus trying to prevent the players chasing wages overseas
These wages could be funded by a 50p levy on league ticket prices (which as the clubs will not be spending as much on wages will not need to increase anyway
League games only to be postponed prior to international fixtures if 2 or more players are in squads for the home nations only.
A levy for "FA youth development" to be charged at , say 20% of the contract value (that is transfer fee , wages signing on fee etc) on all transfers from clubs outside of the home nations
Maximum of 3 players not eligible for a home nation, in a matchday squad.

The aim would be to encourage clubs to use home players , yet discourage home players from chasing the money by going overseas.

Just a thought really as opposed to a plan

If this means that McClaren get his P45 then i'd take not qualifying for Euro 2008, i mean it saves us having more false hope that "the golden generation" will finally win something but instead lose on penalties in the QF.

We need to develop future long term successes... a bit like what lower clubs are about, people from league 1 and down, like us for instance!! Can see the value in investing in youth. We have 4 years eddectively, to sort this mess out. 3 strikers up front last night, something like only 15 league games between them!! Why? Because foreign players are getting preffered over them...

3 strikers up front last night, something like only 15 league games between them!! Why? Because foreign players are getting preffered over them...

Exactly, this I fear is one of our major reasons for failure!

We need to develop future long term successes... a bit like what lower clubs are about, people from league 1 and down, like us for instance!! Can see the value in investing in youth. We have 4 years eddectively, to sort this mess out. 3 strikers up front last night, something like only 15 league games between them!! Why? Because foreign players are getting preffered over them...

Are you surprised when the market value for English strikers is stupendously high? Darren Bent, for example, is not worth even half of the 16 million that Spurs paid for him. Ashley Young, a player untried at international level, cost 8 million last year when Villa took him off Watford's hands. Until clubs get more realistic about their pricing policies, cheap foreigners will always be preferred to English talent.

Why is everyone so upset?

We are all Europeans so we have 16 other teams to support next summer.

Amities.

MC.

I suppose that considering the drop out rate in the youth setups each youngster that finally comes through the ranks must have effectively cost an absolute fortune, Currently its much easier to let someone else do all the work and then pick them up when they are believed to be ready.
The FA must encourage the development of youngsters.
What needs to be asked of the top flight clubs is do we want a top National side or do we want our domestic clubs to win regardless of the cost to the national side.
The last (actually the only) time the National side won a major tournament, an English club side had never won the European cup (and only Spurs and West Ham had won the cup winners cup)

Why move this topic? It's something i would discuss in a real pub... so why move it from the pub? Things like that are ****ing pointless... idiots

Back