• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

One of those threads for advice..

J

The Chameleon
Wow.. first post in quite a while..

Anyway Upshot is, im currently living in Edinburgh for a short while with work (12-13 weeks) I have been offered a significant offer up here, and also a room in a 5 bedroom flat with some lads and lasses i have met.

So, opinions?? Naff all in Essex if I'm honest (other than SUFC) I have Rangers up here though...

I would be better off financially, i have made some cracking pal's up here, and the night life is Awesome (as well as glasgow down the road) Jock exiles on here, what do you think??

PS: I have near enough made the decision, but would be great to hear from the exiles.

First year up here, I missed home like you would not believe; second year was a bit better but still a lot of yearnings. Third, fourth and fifth year have got better and better and better.

Plus points for me are......

1. The obvious breath taking countryside, we are lucky in the respect that we live near the Cairngorms and imo there is nothing that compares. Also the air and water seem to be far more pure than in Englandshire.

2. The common sense approach that local councils have to most issues seems to be far more forward thinking than down south, there does not seem to be as much red tape up here, but I am of course just speaking form where I live, Rich might have a different opinion. Work is fairly abundant for me up here, being the reason I moved in the first place

3. The music and arts scene is excellent.

4. No need for a fishing rod license and no trespassing laws what so ever

Minus points........

1. Not being able to go to see the Blues every Saturday

2. There is still a fairly sizable underlined strong dislike for the English, it is in most Scotts to some degree or another. The fact that they think their s**t does not stink and being Scottish and proud is right but being English and proud is not, that is just us being arrogant.

3. The difference in temperature is very noticeable for me, maybe because I am a fair bit further up than you are J.

In all honesty mate, it does not really matter where you live but more how you live your life, I am lucky that I have a great wife, great family and superb mates up here. I am almost at the point where I don’t think I want to move back south.

Last edited:
J, in all honesty, while you're young then go for it - costs you nothing in the short term, but if you can make a bit of cash out of it then the longer term benefits are surely more evident? Besides which, you have Glasgow SUFC to one side of you and Aberdeen Shrimper to t'other - what could be better?! ;)

J, in all honesty, while you're young then go for it - costs you nothing in the short term, but if you can make a bit of cash out of it then the longer term benefits are surely more evident? Besides which, you have Glasgow SUFC to one side of you and Aberdeen Shrimper to t'other - what could be better?! ;)

Not looked at a map of Scotland recently then Kay!!!

scotland.gif

Last edited:
And clearly to the right as is obvious in the map! So yes, I'm right, you just can't accept it! got that dog booked into the vet's yet for his gonads to be chopped?!!!

Oh Kay, you are impossible, you really are.

You ever been wrong in your life???

Glasgow is the the West of Edinburgh and Aberdeen is to the North

End off!!

Anyway.............Back on topic

Go for it J and then we can have another passenger to lighten the cost of traveling to the Hall

Oh Kay, you are impossible, you really are.

You ever been wrong in your life???

Glasgow is the the West of Edinburgh and Aberdeen is to the North

End off!!

Anyway.............Back on topic

Go for it J and then we can have another passenger to lighten the cost of traveling to the Hall

Oh yes, I've been wrong! Most definately - just not here :whistling:

Lol.. cheers dave.

Definitely, road trips to Southend - way forward!!

Personally would jump at the chance to live in edinburgh, brilliant city! Give it a go and see how you get on.

Personally I would say do it.

At the age your at you just want to have fun and enjoy your money. Its not really about Edinburgh as such its about doing something for a bit that you will enjoy. You can give it a go for a year and if you hate it then you can come home. Nothing will have changed.

Its good for football to be part of your life but a bit sad if it is your life. Flights are so cheap nowadays you can still do games when you want too.

Seems like you have little to loose and all to gain to me mate.

I think judging by some of your recent FB posts you've already made the decision.
To be honest mate, at your age & taking into account your not yet tied down then I would honestly say go for it. If I had the same opportunity at 24/25 then I'd have been well up for it (I also had a thing for birds with a Scottish accent at that age, hence why I pulled the girl who would become my wife in Tenerife).

To be fair (as he probably knows) I don't really agree PERSONALLY with many of AS' reasons for relocating up to Scotland, whilst agreeing more than wholeheartedly with his reasons against. This is me though & is purely a factor of being here for 9+ years and also starting to think what potential options are open to me & my family in hopefully moving away. Again, in my opinion I would steer well clear of Edinburgh & go for Glasgow but that is purely as having visited both early on with the option of choosing either to live in, I found Glasgow a lot more friendly and less full of pretentious up their own arse tw@ts. You probably think the opposite about Edinburgh v Glasgow.

At the end of the day, Essex is only an hour or so away if you plan flights home 4-6 weeks in advance. I've been the first to slag sleazyJet over the past few years but to be fair the past 3 or 4 times I've flown with them they have been almost perfect. I managed to get back down south Thursday-Sunday for me & my daughter for less than £100 and that was booking only a month in advance of travel. It seems like as the company has evolved (& maybe the big mouthed Stelios influence has lessened) that they are now trading like their "partner" Go! and not the sell it cheap for little if no customer service style of old.

From an SUFC point of view, I've also seen our team in loads of grounds I probably would never have visited if I'm truly honest, this is for me a positive about being a Scottish exile. Oh & while on the subject, are you coming to Carlisle in a week or so? Makes sense for you to get the train through & then get the Virgin Express down from Glasgow Central.

If you want to discuss your options in person then just drop me a PM & we can sort out a meet over a few beers.

I think judging by some of your recent FB posts you've already made the decision.
To be honest mate, at your age & taking into account your not yet tied down then I would honestly say go for it. If I had the same opportunity at 24/25 then I'd have been well up for it (I also had a thing for birds with a Scottish accent at that age, hence why I pulled the girl who would become my wife in Tenerife).

To be fair (as he probably knows) I don't really agree PERSONALLY with many of AS' reasons for relocating up to Scotland, whilst agreeing more than wholeheartedly with his reasons against. This is me though & is purely a factor of being here for 9+ years and also starting to think what potential options are open to me & my family in hopefully moving away. Again, in my opinion I would steer well clear of Edinburgh & go for Glasgow but that is purely as having visited both early on with the option of choosing either to live in, I found Glasgow a lot more friendly and less full of pretentious up their own arse tw@ts. You probably think the opposite about Edinburgh v Glasgow.

At the end of the day, Essex is only an hour or so away if you plan flights home 4-6 weeks in advance. I've been the first to slag sleazyJet over the past few years but to be fair the past 3 or 4 times I've flown with them they have been almost perfect. I managed to get back down south Thursday-Sunday for me & my daughter for less than £100 and that was booking only a month in advance of travel. It seems like as the company has evolved (& maybe the big mouthed Stelios influence has lessened) that they are now trading like their "partner" Go! and not the sell it cheap for little if no customer service style of old.

From an SUFC point of view, I've also seen our team in loads of grounds I probably would never have visited if I'm truly honest, this is for me a positive about being a Scottish exile. Oh & while on the subject, are you coming to Carlisle in a week or so? Makes sense for you to get the train through & then get the Virgin Express down from Glasgow Central.

If you want to discuss your options in person then just drop me a PM & we can sort out a meet over a few beers.

Good post big man.

After visiting Glasgow, Edinburgh and of course being in Aberdeen for 5 years.......my Scottish city of choice would be.

Inverness

A stunning up and coming city if you can manage to get work there, although you would have to move further North than Inverness to take my mantel of most northerly Zoner!!

;)

Go for it J, sounds like a great opportunity.

As the old cliché goes, you don't want to die wondering. Not that you'll be dying any time soon I hope.

Back