• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So, now things are starting to settle down and the transfer window has closed, a quick analysis of how we've progressed from last year.

BentleyBentley= / +
WhiteWhite=
CokerCoker=
Ibenfeldt
(Glen Rea)
Improved
ThompsonThompson= / +
ProsserProsser
=
WorrallWorrall=
TimlinTimlin=
Barnard
Mooney
Improved
Corr
Hunt
Improved
WestonWeston
AtkinsonAtkinson
T. SmithT. Smith
HurstHurst
BolgerBolgerImproved?
Clifford
Wordsworth
Improved
Coulthirst
Pigott
Improved
LeonardLeonard
PaynePayne
P. SmithP. Smith
Binnom-Williams
Luke O'Neill
Improved
BarrettBarrett
DeeganDeegan
WilliamsWilliams
(McLaughlin)McLaughlin

Obviously, not all of the positions are direct replacements but, for the most part, I think we've been extremely successful in terms of holding on to our best talent and building on it with some decent acquisitions.

While many (most?) would have preferred us to hold on to BBBC, Hunt and Mooney look like a better pair than what we started last year with (in Corr and Barnard). Rea looks a class above. Similar for O'Neill. Obviously, we had Pigott at the end of last season, but it makes sense to me to have him replace Coulthirst. I think many of us would suggest that Bentley, Thompson and Bolger are also continually improving.

This was fairly quick and dirty so I've probably missed some obvious points but, in short, I think we've done some pretty good business all round. With a few well-placed loanees coming in, we look well set to do more than just make up the numbers this year.

I really am disappointed with Hurst's loss of form.

I thought about that and considered marking him down, but actually, his form year was the season before last. Last year, he was a passenger so, in my opinion, we've neither moved forward nor back.

I think our first 11 has improved, no doubt. I have some concerns about our second 11 not quite being at the level I'd like for when we run into injuries and a busy fixture period.

I really am disappointed with Hurst's loss of form.

While it's a shame he's not on the level he was before, he's a human being and could have very human reasons behind why his form has dropped. Brown seems to rate him and he's had minutes this season, so let's stick by him while he's a SUFC player.

This isn't a dig btw, just getting my point in there before things carry on.

Apart from those you have already shown, SBH, do you think some of our star performers from the end of last season have reached those levels this season? I basically have Timlin and Worrell in mind.

Good post by the way, I hope it doesn't disappear up it's own rectum with disagreements amongst subsequent posters!

Apart from those you have already shown, SBH, do you think some of our star performers from the end of last season have reached those levels this season? I basically have Timlin and Worrell in mind.

I'm not sure anyone has yet but I don't think we'll know until later in the season. You'd have to accept that we're now up against stronger opposition and our opening set of fixtures doesn't appear to have been too kind. Despite that, we're unbeaten away and definitely had opportunities against Brighton, Walsall and Swindon.

I'm not sure anyone has yet but I don't think we'll know until later in the season. You'd have to accept that we're now up against stronger opposition and our opening set of fixtures doesn't appear to have been too kind. Despite that, we're unbeaten away and definitely had opportunities against Brighton, Walsall and Swindon.

According to my email earlier we have had an average set of fixtures based on league position.

According to my email earlier we have had an average set of fixtures based on league position.

Based on league position at the time based on 1, 2 or 3 games. Your methodology may have some credibility later in the season but right now there's no statistical relevance. A quick glance at the table now shows we've played 2nd (away), 3rd, 7th, 10th in out first 6 fixtures. Given that our own results have also thwarted those teams' further progress up the table, it's been a tough baptism.

Based on league position at the time based on 1, 2 or 3 games. Your methodology may have some credibility later in the season but right now there's no statistical relevance. A quick glance at the table now shows we've played 2nd (away), 3rd, 7th, 10th in out first 6 fixtures. Given that our own results have also thwarted those teams' further progress up the table, it's been a tough baptism.

Add the delicious games against Gills Sheffield Wigan = 6 games so anything over 9 points would be massive.

Good post by the way, I hope it doesn't disappear up it's own rectum with disagreements amongst subsequent posters!

I think Worrall has been very good this season. Timlin had a poor pre-season but then he doesnt really do stuff to make himself stand out, you generally notice when he isnt on the pitch though.

So, now things are starting to settle down and the transfer window has closed, a quick analysis of how we've progressed from last year.

BentleyBentley= / +
WhiteWhite=
CokerCoker=
Ibenfeldt
(Glen Rea)
Improved
ThompsonThompson= / +
ProsserProsser=
WorrallWorrall=
TimlinTimlin=
Barnard
Mooney
Improved
Corr
Hunt
Improved
WestonWeston
AtkinsonAtkinson
T. SmithT. Smith
HurstHurst
BolgerBolgerImproved?
Clifford
Wordsworth
Improved
Coulthirst
Pigott
Improved
LeonardLeonard
PaynePayne
P. SmithP. Smith
Binnom-Williams
Luke O'Neill
Improved
BarrettBarrett
DeeganDeegan
WilliamsWilliams
(McLaughlin)McLaughlin

Obviously, not all of the positions are direct replacements but, for the most part, I think we've been extremely successful in terms of holding on to our best talent and building on it with some decent acquisitions.

While many (most?) would have preferred us to hold on to BBBC, Hunt and Mooney look like a better pair than what we started last year with (in Corr and Barnard). Rea looks a class above. Similar for O'Neill. Obviously, we had Pigott at the end of last season, but it makes sense to me to have him replace Coulthirst. I think many of us would suggest that Bentley, Thompson and Bolger are also continually improving.

This was fairly quick and dirty so I've probably missed some obvious points but, in short, I think we've done some pretty good business all round. With a few well-placed loanees coming in, we look well set to do more than just make up the numbers this year.
I agree with everything else, but can't see how you can say Thompson is continually improving, when he's been out for so long and hasn't played this season. Who knows this injury could put him back when he returns?

I agree with everything else, but can't see how you can say Thompson is continually improving, when he's been out for so long and hasn't played this season. Who knows this injury could put him back when he returns?

Absolutely, there's no facts in my post, only speculation and I haven't taken injuries into account. My thoughts on Thompson were based purely on his trajectory last season where many commented on his improvement as a young, developing player. How he comes back (and how he plays at this level) remains to be seen but IMHO he finished last season a better player than he started.

SBH, why did you give up on whether players have improved when it got to Weston?

SBH, why did you give up on whether players have improved when it got to Weston?

Ha, good point! Because I'd lost the will to live? Or because his contribution in that final 20 seconds at Wembley just might be the zenith of his Southend career?

Actually, hand on heart, I was only willing to argue a case for Bentley, Bolger and Thompson who I marked and called out.

I think any promoted side should be looking to keep the core of the team that was successful in the previous season...which we have done and this is where I think PB has recruited very well....then add a few quality signings into the mix. I can not stand mooney and his finishing on saturday only heightened this feeling...but I do have to say how well he linked up with hunt....brilliant in that respect. Hunt is sheer class. The lad from Brighton looked very good. WordsWorth has shown glimpses of real quality incisive passing..not set the world alight but obvious skills. I like the look of the squad...just one pacy powerful striker away from being complete

Back