• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I personally would have liked around 6 Friday night games next season but if its 3 because the club believe more fans want less Friday night football then so be it. Cant be beat Roots Hall under the lights in my opinion.

What is pointless about them? There being Friday games at all? Or that Southend are unlikely to accrue any points from those games?

Less crowds, and feel sorry for Away clubs who can't make it because of work, like all fans night games are annoying to all. Plus we've had a lot of small crowds due to Friday games. People i use to sit near before going South upper, he didn't buy a season ticket as he works nights, so missing 5/6 maybe even 8 games due to Friday games and Tuesday night games is pointless, so the club lose money and fans don't get to see their club.

Well done McNasty. Some Friday games are good but there have been far too many this season. A max of 3 is about right.

Less crowds, and feel sorry for Away clubs who can't make it because of work, like all fans night games are annoying to all. Plus we've had a lot of small crowds due to Friday games. People i use to sit near before going South upper, he didn't buy a season ticket as he works nights, so missing 5/6 maybe even 8 games due to Friday games and Tuesday night games is pointless, so the club lose money and fans don't get to see their club.

On the flip side, maybe folk who work Saturdays appreciate having the occasional Friday night game?

I think it's good that we mix it up a little, with 3pm on Saturdays obviously still being the principle time for games.

I've just done some quick calculations and it looks like we got an average about 5,200 for Fri nights and 6,300 for Sat afternoons, home league games only.

I've just done some quick calculations and it looks like we got an average about 5,200 for Fri nights and 6,300 for Sat afternoons, home league games only.

Don't forget many of the special offers on tickets this season have been for Saturday games. I don't recall any offers for any of our Friday night games.

To be honest, for me it's bad news.
During the winter months I would much rather watch football under floodlights than waste valuable daylight doing so. Much prefer spending a few hours Friday night watching football and all day Saturday either gardening, walking or even playing some sport myself.

Exactly my point, people say how much better atmosphere is on Friday nights, and its just not true.

Gutted I much prefer Friday nights so have the weekend days free . Also like the tradition other teams asking why because it's a southend thing blues voice never as loud in the day .

Call me old fashioned but Football is the BIG thing on the weekend. Saturday 3PM stick to it, simple. None of these Friday games, or monday night games, like old fashioned proper football. Fans please don't moan 'Oh i wanted more friday games because i want my weekends free' Absolute muppets who say that. the weekends were made for football.

Call me old fashioned but Football is the BIG thing on the weekend. Saturday 3PM stick to it, simple. None of these Friday games, or monday night games, like old fashioned proper football. Fans please don't moan 'Oh i wanted more friday games because i want my weekends free' Absolute muppets who say that. the weekends were made for football.

Southend have been playing Friday night games for nearly 50 years, that's quite old fashioned.

If you want really old fashioned why don't we bring back Christmas Day games and play all midweek games on Wednesday afternoons when all the shops are closed!

Southend have been playing Friday night games for nearly 50 years, that's quite old fashioned.

If you want really old fashioned why don't we bring back Christmas Day games and play all midweek games on Wednesday afternoons when all the shops are closed!

In that case then I must be Stadtler, UtS is Waldorf and james_c, Fozzie Bear.

UtS is dead right, we grew up with Friday night football as the norm, Christmas Day games as well, so for us the traditional football time is Friday night. :cricko:

Friday's also meant I could watch the Shrimpers and play football and League cricket on the Saturday, I'm now retired from playing both but I know a lot of guys who are still faced with having to make the choice between playing their sport or coming to the Hall. Mostly their sport wins; ever wondered why August gates are low? Not only are people on holiday but I know of at least a dozen guys in my old club who are still playing cricket on Saturday afternoons and as it's the 'business' end of the season when promotion and relegation are at stake there's only going to be one winner, and it ain't the Blues. :sad:

I would suggest that the people who say that Saturdays are purely for football and they feel lost and can't find anything else to do on a Saturday afternoon if they've been to a game on Friday night must have pretty empty lives and perhaps ought to get out a bit more, tens of thousands people in Southend find something to do, :net::gun::guitar::SBH::drummer::gamer::cheers::computer::bomber: they aren't all shopping. :nope:

Call me old fashioned but I have some wonderful memories of Friday night football at Roots Hall and beyond, many of them from before you were born. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only "muppet" enjoying myself either.

Back