• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the most stupid thing people still believe in martin. imo he is killing our club simple as that. he does not care about anything other than the paper in his pocket. he's gotta get out. i don't care about the stadium i do not care about relegation anymore all i care about is getting this man away from our club.

people who support him then you deserve what you get as far as im concerned.

the most stupid thing people still believe in martin. imo he is killing our club simple as that. he does not care about anything other than the paper in his pocket. he's gotta get out. i don't care about the stadium i do not care about relegation anymore all i care about is getting this man away from our club.

people who support him then you deserve what you get as far as im concerned.

I'll admit I did but I don't anymore. All I care about now is the club's very existence.

Quick answers

(a) It never gets that far. If we haven't got the money, Ron puts the club into administration seconds before we go into the court room
(b) can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if the club going under didn't drag him under as well.
(c) Sainsburys will get a store built quicker if the club doesn't fold. SUFC going under will complicate matters considerably.
(d) non-payment of wages I'd have thought, but Ron will be exploring every avenue he can think of. Most will be dead-ends, but hopefully he can find a way

Thankyou for answering my points YB and thankyou to all who have so far given their opinions on the question I raised on this thread. I do at least feel better informed. Worrying times, very worrying indeed. :thumbdown:

The planning permission at FF was 100% dependent on the football stadium being built for Southend United. No Southend United equals no stadium equals no development.

I'm sure the covenant stated that a football ground be built, however it didn't stipulate it had to be FOR SUFC and it didn't stipulate the size. What's to stop RM building a low-brow 4000 seater stadium for (obviously) a fraction of the price of the mythical 22,000-state-of-the-art ground? He could write it off as Southend's new ground, or pass it off (for a small fee) to someone else. Either way he is still honouring the covenant that a football ground be built

The development at Roots Hall is worth a mere fraction of the one at Fossetts and would be little more than a consolation prize to Ron (presuming that his companies would survive the failure of SUFC and the collapse of the FF Development, which I doubt that they would), and one which would be open to legal challenge due to the existence of the Covenant.

Still, a consolation prize of £Xmillions isn't something i'd turn my nose up at.

I'm not even worried about relegation now, as far as I'm concerned we're down and I don't blame Tilson or the players one bit. How the hell can we expect the playing and coaching staff to be motivated when we're not paying them??? The way Ron Martin has shockingly mis-managed our beloved club - a club with 104 long years of history - is unforgiveable. He is the man to blame for this mess, I really cannot believe the situation we're in. And as usual it's the fans who suffer most, I'm worried sick that I won't have a club to support in a matter of days.

I'm not exactly well-versed when it comes to High Court scenarios of this nature, but perhaps someone with more knowledge can tell us:

(a) If we can't pay the HMRC what we owe at or before the hearing can the judge still give us the option to go into administration at the hearing or will we be immediately wound up?

(b) Is the club folding really the worst case scenario for Ron Martin financially (I hope to God it is, I really do for all our sakes)?

(c) Is it really in Sainsbury's best interests to ensure the club doesn't fold (ie. will there really be no Sainsbury's development if we cease to exist or is this yet more lies and spin from Ron)?

(d) What do you really think Tilly was referring to when he mentioned "other things going on behind the scenes?" What's the general consensus on here?

If we go under Ron Martin deserves everything he gets as he'll have destroyed the club, especially if his stubborness in not putting us into administration sooner and refusing to discuss a potential sale of SUFC in order to save the club proves fatal. I don't like fans protests and I think the last one post-Exeter didn't reflect particularly well but RM needs to realise just how strongly we feel about this club - it might just help him get off his a**e and find a way to save us before it's too late.

If Southend United dies thens so will my love for the game, that will be it for football for me because I certainly couldn't bring myself to support ANY other club. Twenty-two years a loyal Shrimper, I can't bear the thought of not making it to 23.

Heartbreaking. :'(

Great post, AD, and I think much of what you says sums up how a lot of fans are feeling right now.

As I mentioned on another post, the consortium made an offer (after the public one, when administration had been averted in November) that could have seen him walk away with a seven or eight figure sum a few months ago, but he didn't even negotiate over what was already a very good offer.

The current situation is not all Ron Martin's fault. We must remember that the club was not in the best of states when Martin Dawn first got involved. However, we also need to bear in mind it's much worse now and he has also been responsible for what's happened recently. Remember - they bought the stadium to supposedly clear the club's debts. At least we had assets then and people were paid, etc. We had "merely" made some big losses that hadn't accumulated to the level of net debt that the club's now in.

The mismanagement that has gone on recently is appalling. For example, a £2.4m annual loss on a turnover of £5m is unforgiveable.

I'll try to answer your questions:

(a) It is not a judge. It's a registrar. It's not a court case but a winding up hearing. Therefore, the registrar's options are restricted. The registrar can do one of three things - grant the petition, dismiss it or give the club longer time. I can't believe if it gets that far that the club would have more time or that the application would be dismissed. Therefore, the petition would almost certainly be granted - ie winding up would occur.

There are three other possibilities, though: (i) the club could pay all the money in full within the next 9 days; (ii) HMRC could opt for administration rather than liquidation; or (iii) Ron Martin could opt for administration rather than liquidation. I can't see (ii) or (iii) happening. HMRC seem to have had enough of the club and may well be willing to make an example of a league club to show the others that they can't mess around anymore. And there seems little in it for Ron Martin to go down the administration route - remember, the club was nearly wound up three and a half weeks ago and no one sought administration then. As for (i), only Ron knows what money is waiting to be used, but the news on Prospects doesn't raise hopes that Sainsbury's will put more money in again.

(b) You can rest assured that Ron Martin's family will have other assets that have been ringfenced from being tied in to the club's fortunes. He may well lose out if the club folded, but I can't believe he would (ie indirectly) lose everything.

(c) If Sainsbury's want to build at Roots Hall, they would not want the club to fold. However, they may well have run out of patience. They've already pumped in about £3m so far (if you include the ticket office money). OK - so the money is secured over property, but there comes a point where they may look to other sites in the Southend area or not bother if they think they're wasting time and money on something that they think is not going to happen.

(d) Unless anyone is willing to come out in the open and say what he meant, this could refer to over a thousand possible things. No point speculating unless someone actually says "this is what he meant".

Agreed - sad sad times. And still no acceptance of any blame from the man at the helm. No public apology for taking the club to the state it's in. Just blaming other people. And also the suggestion that getting rid of Brush was what was needed to continue the "upward spiral" and we're too good to go down.

The Court (I believe) has no power/right/ability to put us into Administration off of their own back. It's a hearing to decide on the outcome of a Winding Up petition. If it goes the distance then the Court will have three option:

1) Dismiss the petition (if the debt has been paid)
2) Agree a adjournment (not likely at this stage)
3) Wind the Club up.

However if the Club are unable to pay off the debt by the day of the case then the logical step would be to voluntarily put the Club into Administration.

I have it on good authority that an adjournment will not happen.

I think he said RHL paid it but they took SUFC shares in exchange...does this make a difference?.....he moves things about quicker than Elvis.

RHL own the shares in SUFC.

So RHL paid, SUFC was the collateral.

Thankyou for answering my points YB and thankyou to all who have so far given their opinions on the question I raised on this thread. I do at least feel better informed. Worrying times, very worrying indeed. :thumbdown:

Thank you for posting some sensible questions!

I'm sure the covenant stated that a football ground be built, however it didn't stipulate it had to be FOR SUFC and it didn't stipulate the size. What's to stop RM building a low-brow 4000 seater stadium for (obviously) a fraction of the price of the mythical 22,000-state-of-the-art ground? He could write it off as Southend's new ground, or pass it off (for a small fee) to someone else. Either way he is still honouring the covenant that a football ground be built

Still, a consolation prize of £Xmillions isn't something i'd turn my nose up at.

Any adjustments would need planning permission, and the council might well have strong opinions if Ron turned round and said, actually I'm building a lego stadium and **** you.

Any adjustments would need planning permission, and the council might well have strong opinions if Ron turned round and said, actually I'm building a lego stadium and **** you.

Do you believe a small matter of revised plans would stop Ron from building RonaldWorld?

Great post, AD, and I think much of what you says sums up how a lot of fans are feeling right now.

As I mentioned on another post, the consortium made an offer (after the public one, when administration had been averted in November) that could have seen him walk away with a seven or eight figure sum a few months ago, but he didn't even negotiate over what was already a very good offer.

The current situation is not all Ron Martin's fault. We must remember that the club was not in the best of states when Martin Dawn first got involved. However, we also need to bear in mind it's much worse now and he has also been responsible for what's happened recently. Remember - they bought the stadium to supposedly clear the club's debts. At least we had assets then and people were paid, etc. We had "merely" made some big losses that hadn't accumulated to the level of net debt that the club's now in.

The mismanagement that has gone on recently is appalling. For example, a £2.4m annual loss on a turnover of £5m is unforgiveable.

I'll try to answer your questions:

(a) It is not a judge. It's a registrar. It's not a court case but a winding up hearing. Therefore, the registrar's options are restricted. The registrar can do one of three things - grant the petition, dismiss it or give the club longer time. I can't believe if it gets that far that the club would have more time or that the application would be dismissed. Therefore, the petition would almost certainly be granted - ie winding up would occur.

There are three other possibilities, though: (i) the club could pay all the money in full within the next 9 days; (ii) HMRC could opt for administration rather than liquidation; or (iii) Ron Martin could opt for administration rather than liquidation. I can't see (ii) or (iii) happening. HMRC seem to have had enough of the club and may well be willing to make an example of a league club to show the others that they can't mess around anymore. And there seems little in it for Ron Martin to go down the administration route - remember, the club was nearly wound up three and a half weeks ago and no one sought administration then. As for (i), only Ron knows what money is waiting to be used, but the news on Prospects doesn't raise hopes that Sainsbury's will put more money in again.

(b) You can rest assured that Ron Martin's family will have other assets that have been ringfenced from being tied in to the club's fortunes. He may well lose out if the club folded, but I can't believe he would (ie indirectly) lose everything.

(c) If Sainsbury's want to build at Roots Hall, they would not want the club to fold. However, they may well have run out of patience. They've already pumped in about £3m so far (if you include the ticket office money). OK - so the money is secured over property, but there comes a point where they may look to other sites in the Southend area or not bother if they think they're wasting time and money on something that they think is not going to happen.

(d) Unless anyone is willing to come out in the open and say what he meant, this could refer to over a thousand possible things. No point speculating unless someone actually says "this is what he meant".

Agreed - sad sad times. And still no acceptance of any blame from the man at the helm. No public apology for taking the club to the state it's in. Just blaming other people. And also the suggestion that getting rid of Brush was what was needed to continue the "upward spiral" and we're too good to go down.

This is what worries me most mate, Ron would probably see us fold rather than take the only step possible in order to save the club given that we obviously can't pay the HMRC. That would prove that he never cared about the club all along, only lining his own pockets. To deprive thousands of people of THEIR football club (a club that will have been a huge part of many supporters lives for decades) when there is an obvious way to save it is gut-wrenching.

They paid 2.1 odd to get us out of the crap with HMRC the last time in exchange for the same amount of shares and a PG from Ron.

According to RM at the Q&A (if you choose to believe him!) Sainsburys were given first charge on a seperate bit of land worth circa £4m to back up the £2.3m they lent us. I am fairly sure he said the land involved was nothing to do with SUFC and was from one of his other (29) companies.

The Council aren't idiots (even if people would like to think that they are). The only reason that planning permission was ever granted in that area was because of the football club and the argument that the stadium was necessary for it's development. They wouldn't just stand by and let him build a completely different stadium for a different entity (if SUFC have folded).

According to RM at the Q&A (if you choose to believe him!) Sainsburys were given first charge on a seperate bit of land worth circa £4m to back up the £2.3m they lent us. I am fairly sure he said the land involved was nothing to do with SUFC and was from one of his other (29) companies.

Yes I saw that quote from the Q&A which differs greatly from the original quote of him saying that they had taken 2.1 million odd in shares.

Yes I saw that quote from the Q&A which differs greatly from the original quote of him saying that they had taken 2.1 million odd in shares.

You don't believe that he has been economical with the truth do you? Tut tut

Back