• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Did anyone else see this on BBC1 just before Christmas?

It featured in Episode 3 TV Presenter Dominic Littlewood, who is a Southend boy. The programme focuses on loneliness and at one point there is an interview with a guy called Keith who says he has started coming to watch Southend so he can feel part of something, but he can only afford to go every third home game.

Towards the end of the programme the presenter, celebrity chef James Martin, says that he's bought the guy a present. He then gives him a Southend Utd scarf, hat and wallet and inside the wallet is a Season Ticket!

Nice programme, all filmed in the town and has a real feel-good factor about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04vwcs1/operation-meet-the-street-episode-3

Cheers for putting that up Shrimpergarry - will try and look a this over the long weekend.

It featured in Episode 3 TV Presenter Dominic Littlewood, who is a Southend boy. The programme focuses on loneliness and at one point there is an interview with a guy called Keith who says he has started coming to watch Southend so he can feel part of something, but he can only afford to go every third home game.

Towards the end of the programme the presenter, celebrity chef James Martin, says that he's bought the guy a present. He then gives him a Southend Utd scarf, hat and wallet and inside the wallet is a Season Ticket!

Nice programme, all filmed in the town and has a real feel-good factor about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04vwcs1/operation-meet-the-street-episode-3

Yes saw it and thought it offered some real hope to those suffering from being on their own too much of the time, whilst showing the town and some of its folk off in a very decent light, so good work BBC.

Liked DL's natural enthusiasm and was particularly impressed by JM's purchase (out of his own pocket) of the season ticket for Keith that covered the remaining part of last season and this season. He clearly was touched by Keith's story and genuinely wanted to help the guy. Was never a big fan of James Martin before I saw this, thought he was just another overpaid, oversized celeb chef fat-cat but fair play to him. That's the kind of behaviour that warrants respect...at least a bit:thumbsup:

Happy 2016 fellow Shrimpers.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting - really enjoyed that.

Was over from the USA, watched the BBC program on the Wednesday and then bumped into the guy Keith at the Bury game, couldn't believe it. He said he's doing well, found a place to live, formed his own band, and enjoying watching all the Blue's home games. Also said the BBC is doing a follow up show on him.

Was over from the USA, watched the BBC program on the Wednesday and then bumped into the guy Keith at the Bury game, couldn't believe it. He said he's doing well, found a place to live, formed his own band, and enjoying watching all the Blue's home games. Also said the BBC is doing a follow up show on him.

That's all fine but whilst in the UK please make an effort to 'report' in the Queen's English! :winking:

Just watched the programme,certainly makes you feel lucky to have a family round you.all the best Keith and welcome to the shrimper family

Whilst not wanting to overshadow the focus on Keith and how things are going for him, opportunity here for SUFC in more ways than one if someone at the Club can see and act on it.

Whilst not wanting to overshadow the focus on Keith and how things are going for him, opportunity here for SUFC in more ways than one if someone at the Club can see and act on it.

Might be a bit late now. This program was first shown many months ago so this showing is a repeat. Whilst that is not a reason for the club not to act, if they haven't by now then they ain't going to.

Might be a bit late now. This program was first shown many months ago so this showing is a repeat. Whilst that is not a reason for the club not to act, if they haven't by now then they ain't going to.

No, you've missed my point. If the BBC are doing a follow up prog on Keith it's bound to include mention/coverage of his now more frequent visits to RH. This will have played an integral part in helping Keith I'm sure. Any football club should always be looking at any and all opportunities to help people in the community they (the club) are part of, which in turn will, or at least should, help the club.

That's all fine but whilst in the UK please make an effort to 'report' in the Queen's English! :winking:

OOps, Sorry, (programme) 38 years of living in the US has made me an "Ugly American" Would think the club might want to be involved with the follow programme, something along the lines " Quality of Blues play has lifted Keith out of his depression at a stress free match" Next game for me Gillingham at home 3/19/16. Happy New Year to all you "Shrimpers"

OOps, Sorry, (programme) 38 years of living in the US has made me an "Ugly American" Would think the club might want to be involved with the follow programme, something along the lines " Quality of Blues play has lifted Keith out of his depression at a stress free match" Next game for me Gillingham at home 3/19/16. Happy New Year to all you "Shrimpers"

I presume the 03/19/16 in ugly American format was done on purpose. I'll bite though. I'm not aware of the 19th month.

Great programme Garry - I've not seen Keith. Does he sit in the West?

No, you've missed my point. If the BBC are doing a follow up prog on Keith it's bound to include mention/coverage of his now more frequent visits to RH. This will have played an integral part in helping Keith I'm sure. Any football club should always be looking at any and all opportunities to help people in the community they (the club) are part of, which in turn will, or at least should, help the club.

I certainly did!! Lets hope the club does pick it up then.

I am all for good PR - BUT!!
I am not so keen on manipulating a situation that has already evolved through care and generosity.
Lets focus on good things our club really does and not try for cheap publicity on the back of other people's kindness.

I am not so keen on manipulating a situation that has already evolved through care and generosity.
Lets focus on good things our club really does and not try for cheap publicity on the back of other people's kindness.

Exactly, SUCET do great things across the ages of our community, maybe someone there might like to reach out to Keith and involve him in, for example, the walking football. I often think we should have a coffee morning "drop in" once a week for some of the town's older citizens, perhaps in the Far Post, again, that would work well.

Manipulation of the situation and cheap publicity is well wide of the mark when it comes to the opportunity I'm alluding to. Rather I was hoping that it might spark a debate within the club/the trust about how, and how well, we engage with the community at large, particularly elements of it that might otherwise overlook getting involved with activities run by the club (not necessarily just attending games) but who might benefit greatly from that involvement. And, if means we can help more people, I make no apologies for suggesting that we might use the follow up BBC programme to communicate the good things that SUFC/SUCET currently do to help members of the community like Keith...as well as things that we plan on doing in the future to improve and enhance that interaction.

Back