• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Opinion in the cold light of day

palexander

Life President
I don't get to the Hall any more really due to family and work etc, but thank goodness for iFollow as I can at least watch full matches back and I know its not the same as watching a game live, but still happy to be able to watch a full 90 mins.

I've just watched the Blackpool game back and have a few unpopular opinions I would think ?

1) I certainly don't get the hate for Bond. I think he's done decent business in the window and done it well with due diligence for a change. Throwing Ridgewell in was a mistake which he's acknowledged, but thats a different issue. I make him right in the interview post game too, you can tell he was trying to pick his words, but the anger in Cox and Humps performance came through. What do fans want? Load of waffle like Brown - fans moan. Honest opinion from Bond - fans moan. We just have the most moan-y fans I've ever come across.

2) I didnt think we were THAT bad in the 1st half vs Blackpool. I was expecting the worst with many on here saying it was one of the worst performances in a half they've ever seen. Maybe you've not been watching Southend as long as I have! But thought we tried to get it down and actually put some good stuff together. The problem is a lack of threat/confidence at the moment.

Conversely, when SZ'ers said we were "much improved" second half, again, I thought the opposite?! Thought we were woeful and far worse than the first half. Robinson coming on was a bad call as he is awful with the ball at his feet. Multiple times his first touch was a tackle, let alone his second. That said, I'm an advocate of Robbo which you will see in a bit.

3) Have to agree again with Bonds assessment of the players from Saturday. Thought Shaughnessy and Lennon were decent enough, Ralph did ok and put some decent balls in. I thought Hutch looked way out of his depth though at times - bit like a deer in headlights and just looked to offload the ball soon as he got it, but grew into it a bit and think we could persist with him. And yes, Cox and particularly Humps were awful.

With what we have available, I don't know why we don't go 442 but with a diamond as we don't have width and also don't want to see Milligan exposed in a flat midfield 2. So something like;

Oxley/Bishop (either or, both have good and bad points)
Elvis (till Demi is fit)
Lennon
Shaughnessy
Ralph

Milligan (anchoring)
Hyam and Mantom in front of Millgan
Hutchinson in front of them

Robinson/Goodship (or Ndakwu)
Cox/Humps

I'm a big fan of movement up front and really think Cox and Humpfrys are sooooo easy to defend against. They not gonna beat anyone for pace, not going to do anything clever, so defenders must realise within 2 minutes of starting they are in for a pretty easy time. Where my thinking for Robinson is that pace scares players and ok he's not great on the ball, but as an option over the top, a defender is always going to be afraid of getting beaten. I'd probably never play Cox & Humps together again if I could help it.

Thats why Ndakwu is an option up front. Same reasons - flair, pace, something unpredictable that is going to make a defender uncomfortable. Maybe give him license to drift away from the centre and get between full back and centre half. And before anyone says "He's a winger, not a striker" didnt a certain S.Collymore play as a winger at Palace before he came to us? From what I've seen of Ndakwu in the clips, he knows where the goal is.

So there.... thats my early season hot take. Too early to be taking pops at Bond. Lets see if we can get a midfielder over the line, its obviously an area Bond wants to strenghthen and on the evidence of the 2 games so far, we really need it.

Hopefully Bond see's sense and switches to a 442 though. I had no problems with 532, but not sure the players liked it and no point having Milligan anchoring with 3 behind him...

The system was closer to 3-4-1-2, than a genuine 5-3-2. Elvis and Ralph were often too far forward. Mind I would almost go as far to say there wasn't a tangible system. Probably looked ok on the blackboard but in reality didn't work.

I think You may have a point but fans are just fed up with seeing **** performances.

It's been a good few seasons now that we looked decent.

I don't get to the Hall any more really due to family and work etc, but thank goodness for iFollow as I can at least watch full matches back and I know its not the same as watching a game live, but still happy to be able to watch a full 90 mins.

I've just watched the Blackpool game back and have a few unpopular opinions I would think ?

1) I certainly don't get the hate for Bond. I think he's done decent business in the window and done it well with due diligence for a change. Throwing Ridgewell in was a mistake which he's acknowledged, but thats a different issue. I make him right in the interview post game too, you can tell he was trying to pick his words, but the anger in Cox and Humps performance came through. What do fans want? Load of waffle like Brown - fans moan. Honest opinion from Bond - fans moan. We just have the most moan-y fans I've ever come across.

2) I didnt think we were THAT bad in the 1st half vs Blackpool. I was expecting the worst with many on here saying it was one of the worst performances in a half they've ever seen. Maybe you've not been watching Southend as long as I have! But thought we tried to get it down and actually put some good stuff together. The problem is a lack of threat/confidence at the moment.

Conversely, when SZ'ers said we were "much improved" second half, again, I thought the opposite?! Thought we were woeful and far worse than the first half. Robinson coming on was a bad call as he is awful with the ball at his feet. Multiple times his first touch was a tackle, let alone his second. That said, I'm an advocate of Robbo which you will see in a bit.

3) Have to agree again with Bonds assessment of the players from Saturday. Thought Shaughnessy and Lennon were decent enough, Ralph did ok and put some decent balls in. I thought Hutch looked way out of his depth though at times - bit like a deer in headlights and just looked to offload the ball soon as he got it, but grew into it a bit and think we could persist with him. And yes, Cox and particularly Humps were awful.

With what we have available, I don't know why we don't go 442 but with a diamond as we don't have width and also don't want to see Milligan exposed in a flat midfield 2. So something like;

Elvis (till Demi is fit)
Lennon
Shaughnessy
Ralph

Milligan (anchoring)

Cox/Humps

I'm a big fan of movement up front and really think Cox and Humpfrys are sooooo easy to defend against. They not gonna beat anyone for pace, not going to do anything clever, so defenders must realise within 2 minutes of starting they are in for a pretty easy time. Where my thinking for Robinson is that pace scares players and ok he's not great on the ball, but as an option over the top, a defender is always going to be afraid of getting beaten. I'd probably never play Cox & Humps together again if I could help it.

Thats why Ndakwu is an option up front. Same reasons - flair, pace, something unpredictable that is going to make a defender uncomfortable. Maybe give him license to drift away from the centre and get between full back and centre half. And before anyone says "He's a winger, not a striker" didnt a certain S.Collymore play as a winger at Palace before he came to us? From what I've seen of Ndakwu in the clips, he knows where the goal is.

So there.... thats my early season hot take. Too early to be taking pops at Bond. Lets see if we can get a midfielder over the line, its obviously an area Bond wants to strenghthen and on the evidence of the 2 games so far, we really need it.

Hopefully Bond see's sense and switches to a 442 though. I had no problems with 532, but not sure the players liked it and no point having Milligan anchoring with 3 behind him...
Ndukwu played upfront for leicester u23s and given freedom will cause any side trouble. he definately knows where the goal is just needs the freedom. think given time to settle will become a regular scorer. What you got to lose?

Fair points and I had not considered them but have no vested interest in the club so apologies no intent meant, but unless he gets a chance you will never know.
Maybe give him time tonight then bring him off bench in league games and see what happens?
From watching him at Leicester hes an honest kid who is really greatful to be given this chance.
Whatever KB decides I hope the club get behind all players and you start winning because I think you have a good squad just need to gel.
God luck to the club

Elvis (till Demi is fit)
Lennon
Shaughnessy
Ralph

Milligan (anchoring)

Cox/Humps

There's a lot to like in that post, but I would pick you up on Cox. Firstly, let's not forget he's had no pre-season and is far from fit. When Robinson came on you saw why Cox started even though he's not fit. I would also argue with you that he's easy to defend against. He's extremely good off the ball. He's always making runs. I see the problem being that the midfield often delay the pass for a split second, and by then the opportunity is lost. Maybe they don't have the confidence in their own ability, or maybe he sees things before them. Either way I think you're being a bit harsh on Cox.

As I said, however, there's a lot to like in your post...

There's a lot to like in that post, but I would pick you up on Cox. Firstly, let's not forget he's had no pre-season and is far from fit. When Robinson came on you saw why Cox started even though he's not fit. I would also argue with you that he's easy to defend against. He's extremely good off the ball. He's always making runs. I see the problem being that the midfield often delay the pass for a split second, and by then the opportunity is lost. Maybe they don't have the confidence in their own ability, or maybe he sees things before them. Either way I think you're being a bit harsh on Cox.

As I said, however, there's a lot to like in your post...

Yes possibly right on Cox - I did overlook the lack of a pre-season too be honest. Also one of the down sides of watching on "TV" only is that you don't always get to see the work done off the ball - but it does feel like he's bit leggy to make those runs in behind or into the channels.

Its just my preference if I was a coach, I'd always have one 'big' target-ish man and a smaller/quicker player.

Fair points and I had not considered them but have no vested interest in the club so apologies no intent meant, but unless he gets a chance you will never know.
Maybe give him time tonight then bring him off bench in league games and see what happens?
From watching him at Leicester hes an honest kid who is really greatful to be given this chance.
Whatever KB decides I hope the club get behind all players and you start winning because I think you have a good squad just need to gel.
God luck to the club
I agree with you, I think the problem will always be the balance between giving him experience (which is presumably why Leicester sent him) and getting Southend results (which is presumably why we signed him). I think there will be a natural expectation from Southend fans that he'll be a world beater and then a bit of disappointment when we find out that he's probably not (otherwise he'd already be in the Leicester first team - after all he's 20, not 16!).

I think giving him a run out tonight could be an ideal opportunity, after all Cox has had no pre-season and played the full 90 minutes on Saturday, Goodship is injured as well. That leaves us with Humphrys (who needs careful managing due to his horrific facial injuries), Robinson (who will probably play tonight) and Kelman (who is 3 years younger than Ndukwu).

My guess is young Layton will get a start tonight, but we'll have to wait and see.

Back