• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Is there an opposing player past or present that when they come to play at the home of football, Roots Hall , you actually have looked forward to watching ?. Please try to avoid ex Blues players as sometimes the emotions run too high!!!

George Best i guess springs immediately to mind when he played here for Bournemouth... i was lucky enough to be one of many kids who got his autograph that day... and my rose tinted glasses remembers him trying to score from around the half way line that day!

But more recently Lee Trundle is my pick. Initially i hated the sight of him - Always ripped us apart , show boating + showing off. With ridiculous hair + questionable masculinity i always hoped that one of our burly defenders would crunch in to halt his stup step overs. But the day we got promoted at the Liberty Stadium where Freddy did the business totally changed my opinion .... After the game Trundle came over to several Blues fans heading back to our many coaches that day + clapped us saying our support had been amazing + how he wished us well for the following season. He said we really deserved promotion + spent ages signing autographs and took the banter really well. What a top bloke !

After that i was able to admire his skills + hoped he would score a couple of screamers against us provided we got all 3 points of course !

Anybody else ??

Was quite excited to see Georgi Kinkladze back in the day and IIRC we gave the current Premier League champions a proper fight.

I thought Jon Douglas was excellent for Brentford in the last few legs. Not the same class as George Best but there you go.

Enjoyed seeing United at Roots Hall . As it were though they were ****.

Frank Lampard, particularly in the game at Stamford Bridge. Always seemed to find himself in so much space and looked so comfortable on the ball. Similarly, Michael Ballack was just impressive; something about his bearing and confidence made him look inherently superior to our players.

Michael Ballack better than Johnny Herd. Controversial.

Frank Lampard, particularly in the game at Stamford Bridge. Always seemed to find himself in so much space and looked so comfortable on the ball. Similarly, Michael Ballack was just impressive; something about his bearing and confidence made him look inherently superior to our players.

Michael Ballack better than Johnny Herd. Controversial.
I wasn't at the Stamford Bridge match but at the return leg you really noticed the physicality and imposing nature of players like Ballack and Lampard. To call Frank Lampard fat is hugely insulting, his technical ability and physical presence are fantastic qualities, and the way he motored and found space was just a joy to watch. Ballack was literally a giant. Then you had players like Alex, Terry, Anelka. Sometimes small teams try to play the 'it's still just 11 men vs 11' card when saying that you can create an upset. In the RH leg the physical presence of the Chelsea players seemed to provide their confidence even after the Barrett goal went in.

Cant say i enjoyed it , but when we played Blackpool at the Millenium stadium they had a wide player who took us apart that day, think his name was bullock or something like that.

Trundle is the obvious answer for me. Lampard was brilliant in the game at Stamford Bridge. Every time they had the ball he seemed to find 10 yards of space. It's a fantastic talent, he's got.

David Platt really impressed me in that friendly that Arsenal played at Roots Hall. Like Lampard, I was aware that Platt was a good player and a great goalscorer but his movement and touch just oozed class that evening.

paul benson, good in the air, good on the deck and if he gets the right balls to him down the channels he causes allsorts of problems for any back four, only slim build but very effective centre forward:winking:

Another vote for Trundle from me from more recent times, however, looking at some of those I've seen play at Roots Hall, if I could remember, I'd probably say Peter Osgood or any one of those from the Liverpool game - Hughes, Hansen, Souness, Dalglish. I'd agree with comments about the quality of the Chelsea players from the home replay a few years back as well.

I think in one season we had the likes of Trundle , Holt , Agogo and Nathan Tyson all of which i rated , was also impressed with Chris Suttons brother when he played in a friendly vs us .

Agreed with Lampard shout vs Chelsea , was a class above that day and he did seem to be built a lot more powerful than even our so called big boys like Sodje and Barrett.

For me though the pick was Gareth Bale and Kenwyne Jones who tore us a part at St Marys in our Championship season with Jones throwing Barrett around like a rag doll .

Another vote for Trundle. Some of the pieces of skill he used to do were just brilliance you had to admire.

Shame for him he never got a move to a higher level in his peak.

Back