• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Organ donation

Organ donation - opt in or out?

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
Bit quiet on here today so I thought I'd start a thread that hopefully will get the board animated.

Quite simply, I believe in the "opt out" system of organ donation. I believe it's obscene that healthy organs are left to rot in the ground or burnt to dust when they can be used to save the life of another who, through no fault of their own, is facing a premature death.

Thoughts?

Overall it's an issue I'm not sure about but I have got an old Bontempi that needs a good home if anyone's interested?

Bit quiet on here today so I thought I'd start a thread that hopefully will get the board animated.

Quite simply, I believe in the "opt out" system of organ donation. I believe it's obscene that healthy organs are left to rot in the ground or burnt to dust when they can be used to save the life of another who, through no fault of their own, is facing a premature death.

Thoughts?

yeah me to, and then went and ticked the wrong option

On a serious note I do agree that "opt out" is worth considering but I'd also like to consider who it is that receives these incredible gifts.

Let's say one of us loses a loved one who hasn't chosen to opt out and we discover that their liver is to be donated to someone who has damaged their previous liver through excessive drinking and holds convictions for assaulting the medical staff who had tried to help them. How to feel about this?

On a serious note I do agree that "opt out" is worth considering but I'd also like to consider who it is that receives these incredible gifts.

Let's say one of us loses a loved one who hasn't chosen to opt out and we discover that their liver is to be donated to someone who has damaged their previous liver through excessive drinking and holds convictions for assaulting the medical staff who had tried to help them. How to feel about this?

Who's to say, given a second chance of life, they won't amend for their old ways and open a donkey sanctuary?

For most people, dying means you wont need them anymore so why not let someone else have them. If you feel strongly enough about not donating, you will make the effort to opt out.

Most people probably don’t mind donating but won’t make the effort to opt in, so its opt out for me.

I think, that all usefull organs should be available after death, unless the deceased is above a certain age, for arguments sake, 75.
If you or your family did not want this to happen, for any reason, then you should carry a disclaimer card, or have something attached to you driving licence/passport/identity card(when they are introduced).

Who's to say, given a second chance of life, they won't amend for their old ways and open a donkey sanctuary?

Exactly my point. A second "chance" courtesy of someone dear or permanently blacklisted on grounds of previous behaviour? I'm torn.

yeah me to, and then went and ticked the wrong option
And me as well !!

No idea what this "opt out" system is all about. Assuming I've missed something on the UK news. Surely you have to "opt in" to have your organs donated?!

Think this poll will be a write-off as already two people have said they have voted wrong out of 8 !

Strongly in the Opt Out camp. Whilst I don't actaully carry a Donor Card, my wife is fully aware of my wishes.

Don't think that recipients would necessarily 'change their ways' upon receipt of new organs. Look at George Best..!

Still think it's worth the risk though.

ooh i love this debate... i presented on it last year and it's really interesting. don't have time to get into it cos busy at work, but i think that there is definitely a trust issue for intensive care doctors and their relationships with patients. however personally i'm strongly in the opt out (more formally "presumed consent") catagory

And me as well !!

No idea what this "opt out" system is all about. Assuming I've missed something on the UK news. Surely you have to "opt in" to have your organs donated?!

Think this poll will be a write-off as already two people have said they have voted wrong out of 8 !

currently the system is "opt in", as you say. however the government are proposing an "opt out" system, where you organs can be used for transplantation, unless you formally "opt out". I would argue that it's only a small minority of people who would be opposed to having their organs used after death, however their is an ethic debate on whether a government can "presume consent" and take your organs once you die without your permission to do so

I think there would be uproar if an 'Opt Out' system was ever imposed. The Govt would be running scared of upsetting the various religious factions that would doubtless oppose any such move.

I think there would be uproar if an 'Opt Out' system was ever imposed. The Govt would be running scared of upsetting the various religious factions that would doubtless oppose any such move.

and which religious factions would that be? i can only think of Jehovah's Witnesses who are formally against any form of transplantation

Last edited:
From Wiki....

Most religions are in favor of organ donation as acts of charity and as a means of saving a life. Some impose certain restrictions. For example, Jehovah's Witnesses require that organs be drained of any blood, and Muslims require that the donor have provided written consent in advance. A few, such as certain branches of Orthodox Judaism consider it obligatory.However, a few groups disfavor organ transplantation or donation; notably, these include Shinto and those who follow the folk customs of the Gypsies.

Won't be getting Freddy's right foot grafted on then :(

I would imagine that there would be plenty of objection on religious grounds. I might be wrong and will stand corrected if that's the case. I'm (lapsed) RC and am for it, if that's any help.

I think there would be uproar if an 'Opt Out' system was ever imposed. The Govt would be running scared of upsetting the various religious factions that would doubtless oppose any such move..

They could always opt out then.

Back