• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
It's great that we've replaced existing striking options with new ones but we shouldn't be getting too carried away here.

For a start, these new guys don't come with any sort of track record to judge them on and the only personal endorsement I remember seeing were from the old Cockerney mucker Jonny_stokes (but he wasn't exactly spot on with Wayne Gray, Leon Constantine or Paul Brush). I'm not saying they're bad players, as often seems inferred by this sort of post, but let's not hail them as the messiahs for our season but judge them over 5/10 games.

However, as I've said all season, we can afford to have strikers who score infrequently as long as our midfield gets another 20+ goals and our strikers pop up with the odd few.

More worrying for me, is the realisation we still have the same poor defence that has let us down so many times this season. Granted, a bit of aerial presence should help us defend set pieces this season but I still think we need a natural leader in defence if we want to really push on in this league.

I really hope we see an experienced defender coem in in this window as this would give us a platform to mount a serious promotion push.

The small gap to second is heartening but we must stop leaking goals.

spot on, defence needs someone to come in and marshall the lot, also winning headers must be done, the leeds front two won loads of headers, barrett and clarke are possibly the shortest centr back combo Ive seen.

I think the vast majority of us are agreed on this, but who is out there that would come to Southend on the money we would be offering?

I'd have liked us to get Pearce in on loan from Reading, but Norwich are a higher division. I actually thought Clarke and Barrett were awesome vs Leeds, if they can continue to turn those types of performances in then we'd be laughing.

clarke and barrett were great against leeds, but havn't been as good this season. not their fault but not big enough or tall enough. don't get me wrong i like them both and think they are great players but at this time we need a big commanding defender who will sort everyone out when facing a set pieces. too often a un-marked player gets away with it, we concede way to many goals from corners and set-pieces.

was happy to have garry richards but he was given no chance, would have really have liked to keep him but wasn't to be. we need someone of his size to come in an be a leader.

I think the vast majority of us are agreed on this, but who is out there that would come to Southend on the money we would be offering?

I'd have liked us to get Pearce in on loan from Reading, but Norwich are a higher division. I actually thought Clarke and Barrett were awesome vs Leeds, if they can continue to turn those types of performances in then we'd be laughing.

On the first, in spite of my best efforts, I don't know how much we can offer or how much people want. I also don't know how much we have to spend or how much players will cost. I can't really make recommendations as a result other than the recommendation that we have to sign someone with some expereince to shore up the defence.

On the second point, I'd love to share the optimism and hope that the confidence will carry on but we had a few clean sheets earlier in the season yet the confidence vaporised so quickly.

We should try and nab someone like Ugo Ehiogu off of Rangers, they never play him.

Make sure you're seated for this stat....

on 31st of Jan last season, we had conceded 47 goals in 30 games at a rate of 1.567 goals per game. This season, we've conceded 40 in 28 games at a rate of 1.42.

Had no idea it was so close until now.

Make sure you're seated for this stat....

on 31st of Jan last season, we had conceded 47 goals in 30 games at a rate of 1.567 goals per game. This season, we've conceded 40 in 28 games at a rate of 1.42.

Had no idea it was so close until now.

Jesus.

:eek:

Posted this earlier but many people might have missed it......

On the SOL site someone on there was confident of a centre-back appearing on loan for 3mths,arriving Monday.
Let's hope so!

Back