• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Streaky

Manager⭐
I have been sent on the following email from an Orient fan complaining about unsporting behaviour from our tannoy announcer. Personally i didnt hear the noice described - anyone else?? This fella has complained to Southend, Orient & the football League..

Subject: Southend United vs Leyton Orient 09/08/11
Dear Sirs,

I attended last week’s Football League Cup First Round match between Southend United and Leyton Orient.

As you will be aware, the match was settled by a penalty shoot out.

I would like to report the conduct of the host club, Southend, during those closing stages. As Ben Chorley walked to the penalty spot to take his kick, a noise could be heard over the public address system. This was clearly identifiable as a vocal microphone being struck rhythmically to simulate the sound of a heartbeat. This, I assume, was designed to heighten the tension and the pressure on the kicker. There was one further striking of the microphone at the point that Chorley took his kick.

No such noise was evident as Southend United players took their penalty kicks.

I believe the match video will verify my claims. Failing that I am sure there are numerous spectators who witnessed the events.

Please could the Football League investigate whether, as I suspect, this conduct was in breach of regulations.

I feel that the partisan nature of a match-day announcer before a match and at half-time is part and parcel of football, but it is despicable that the public address system should be used as a means to influence events on the field. To do so during a penalty shoot-out scenario is particularly shameful and, in my opinion, could be dangerous as well as unfair as it may well serve to incite violence.

As you will see, this email has been copied to Southend United FC and Leyton Orient FC.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Nick Madden

Personally as they won the shoot out & Chorley scored, seems a fuss about nothing!

I have been sent on the following email from an Orient fan complaining about unsporting behaviour from our tannoy announcer. Personally i didnt hear the noice described - anyone else?? This fella has complained to Southend, Orient & the football League..

Subject: Southend United vs Leyton Orient 09/08/11
Dear Sirs,

I attended last week’s Football League Cup First Round match between Southend United and Leyton Orient.

As you will be aware, the match was settled by a penalty shoot out.

I would like to report the conduct of the host club, Southend, during those closing stages. As Ben Chorley walked to the penalty spot to take his kick, a noise could be heard over the public address system. This was clearly identifiable as a vocal microphone being struck rhythmically to simulate the sound of a heartbeat. This, I assume, was designed to heighten the tension and the pressure on the kicker. There was one further striking of the microphone at the point that Chorley took his kick.

No such noise was evident as Southend United players took their penalty kicks.

I believe the match video will verify my claims. Failing that I am sure there are numerous spectators who witnessed the events.

Please could the Football League investigate whether, as I suspect, this conduct was in breach of regulations.

I feel that the partisan nature of a match-day announcer before a match and at half-time is part and parcel of football, but it is despicable that the public address system should be used as a means to influence events on the field. To do so during a penalty shoot-out scenario is particularly shameful and, in my opinion, could be dangerous as well as unfair as it may well serve to incite violence.

As you will see, this email has been copied to Southend United FC and Leyton Orient FC.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Nick Madden

Personally as they won the shoot out & Chorley scored, seems a fuss about nothing!

If the FA want to investigate sportsmanship, I think they'd be far better off looking at the timewasting antics of the Orient keeper. I don't recall hearing any noise from the tannoy when Chorley took his penalty, but the announcer regularly leaves his microphone on during the game after substitutions, so it wouldn't particularly surprise me.

I'm gonna get slated here...didn't get to the game so can't say it happened or not but if it did, the club could get rapped knuckles and rightly so. Sounds like a very stupid thing to be doing in the countries 2nd biggest cup compition. Like I say though, I wasn't there.

Didn't hear it, but pretty funny if it did happen. Our matchday announcer is dire these days - the old one used to be a bit of a windup merchant. Same as the mascot, who is now as dull as ditchwater. No terraces, identikit grounds, blanket media coverage of the EPL, f***ing goal music... the sanitisation of football in recent years is a pain in the 'arris.

Didn't go as was on holiday but again, IF it happened (and when they won why would he make it up?) it would be the sort of tactic that posters on this board would have been up in arms about if it had been the Borient announcer in a shootout at Birdbrain Rd when we were taking our kicks.

Interesting that JS finds it pretty funny, wonder if that would still apply if Chorley had missed and we had gone on to win?

Personally I would rather lose than win unfairly. If the announcer did do it, then after this complaint I would get rid I'm afraid.

Interesting that JS finds it pretty funny, wonder if that would still apply if Chorley had missed and we had gone on to win?

Then I would have rioted on the streets of Westcliff and scrawled some anti-microphone graffitti in the Spread.

If correct the Oreeeant fan has a valid point.

I think the only thing to do is replay the tie at the 2012 London Olympic Stadium with the Oreeeant fan being made official announcer for the game. All match proceeds should go to the Comedy Club of Great Britain. Am sure Barry Hearn would fully support this suggestion, but he might have to ask West Ham if we can borrow their stadium first. Thank you. :smile:

What a pillock! As if Micky G would have the nous to think of that anyway! Clearly this guy is a middle-aged virgin.

I'm sure the Football League, and even the FA would investigate if something was mentioned in the referees report. Moreover, if the ref had a problem with it, he could have dealt with it there and then.

Didn't hear it, but pretty funny if it did happen. Our matchday announcer is dire these days - the old one used to be a bit of a windup merchant. Same as the mascot, who is now as dull as ditchwater. No terraces, identikit grounds, blanket media coverage of the EPL, f***ing goal music... the sanitisation of football in recent years is a pain in the 'arris.

Amen that man!

Moreover, if the ref had a problem with it, he could have dealt with it there and then.
that's the most solidly hypothetical comment on this thread. The ref that night would have turned a blind eye to pretty much anything short of ABH other than kicking the ball away.

Back