• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Orient press - passionate fans to help Os do double !!!

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
Gray sings praises of passionate fans
By Peter King
Comment

Wayne Gray, who says backing from the O's home support can lift the team against Southend (c)

STRIKER Wayne Gray believes a loud vocal backing by the home crowd could help Orient do the derby-double over Southend on Saturday.

The 27-year-old frontman, who is hoping to shake off a thigh injury in time to play against his former club, is expecting a cauldron-like atmosphere at Brisbane Road with the Shrimpers fans having been handed the entire East Stand.

But Gray believes that if the O's faithful can replicate the same volume that 2,095 travelling supporters generated on the opening day of the season at Roots Hall - then Martin Ling's men have every chance of repeating the 2-1 win they achieved that day.

He said: "This game is massive for the supporters and having played for both clubs. I know what it means to both sets of fans.

"I'm sure there will be a great atmosphere on Saturday, and I'm sure Southend will bring a good support with them.

"Our fans have been excellent though this season, and I really do think they played their part when we won at their place on the opening day of the season.

"They out-sang the home supporters and if they can give us that same backing I'm sure it will really lift the players. I know all our lads will be up for the game, but that little extra lift that a good backing by your own fans can give you is sometimesthe key in these derby games." Reflecting on his chances of playing, Gray said: "I have got a very good chance.

"It has been really frustrating not being involved and I'm desperate to play and score, not just because it is Southend but because I just want to get my season up and running again."

ORIENT manager Martin Ling is looking for his side to extend their recent home record in Saturday's derby clash with Southend.

The O's are unbeaten in five at Brisbane Road and have suffered just one defeat in their last nine league matches on home soil.

And while their faltering away form of late has seen them drop out of the play-off spots, the east Londoners remain just three points off second spot Doncaster in what is a very tight League One table.

Speaking after Tuesday night's 0-0 draw at Walsall, Ling said: "While we would have hoped to win the game, I would have probably taken a draw before the match. We had been Northampton on Friday and it was good to come away from a team that is in very good form with a positive result.

"It also sets us up nicely now for Saturday's derby match with Southend. With them just below us in the table it is a massive match.

"The table is awfully tight at the moment, because while we are down in seventh we are just three points behind Doncaster in second. Only Swansea seem to be breaking away at the moment, while everyone else is struggling to put decent runs together.

advertisement
"The teams below us including Southend have closed the gap and it is vital that we keep our recent home run going against them on Saturday.

"I'm sure both sets of fans will be really up for the game, because the clubs have built up a real rivalry over the years.

"Of course there are clubs like Millwall and Dagenham in the London area, but I would say that Southend and Brighton are seen more as derby games in the eyes of our supporters."

Strikers Wayne Gray and Jabo Fellow striker Jabo Ibehre are set to return in time from injury to face Southend. Clayton Fortune (shoulder), Sean Thornton (hamstring), Alton Thelwell (knee) and Adam Chambers (suspension), are all out however, while Brian Saah is also struggling with a groin injury.

Back