• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Angell Delight

Life President
It goes without saying that the Simpson deal is completely dead, there's virtually no point in even trying to sign him in January as he'll be eligible to sign a free transfer pre-contract agreement with someone else and will therefore have a ton of attractive options for 2017/18.

What I find puzzling is Orient's stance in this whole affair. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on the O's teamsheets over the coming fixtures. Their manager Hessenthaler is somewhat of a puppet and has been told by their madcap Italian owner to "banish" certain members of the playing squad, hence they were "unavailable for selection." Alan Dunne, Scott Kashket and Sean Clohessy have all been barred from playing recently. Now firstly Orient are entitled to turn down whatever offers they want, it's their prerogative. In my opinion £300k for a L2 striker who has had one admittedly superb half-season in the league below ours and who is in the last year of his contract is overpriced. That's my take on things. We offered just over £100k - there's some middle ground there & I'll be disappointed if Ron didn't at least try to re-negotiate a deal to satisfy both parties. It's no secret that the O's attempted to sell Simpson and also get rid of another top earner in Dean Cox on Deadline Day. Cox eventually turned down a move to Northampton as he apparently wanted Orient to cover some of his wages from the salary drop in order to make the move. There is now talk of Simpson and Cox being "banished" to the stands by the owner like Dunne, Kashket and Clohessy (the latter two of which have now had their contracts terminated). IF these rumours are true and they are classed as "unavailable for selection" between now and January then I can't understand Orient's stance in either deal, particularly Simpson's. If they knew they weren't going to play them if they weren't sold then they will have not only cost themselves a 6-figure transfer fee but will also be stuck with paying circa let's say £10k per week for the next 4-5 months at least which equates to approximately another £200k outlay (I'm not one of the ridiculous posters on here who claim to know what players earn so these figures are guesswork however I would think they'd be pretty near the mark - I don't for one second believe that Simpson is on £8-9k per week at Orient but I do know he and Cox are two of the top earners, perhaps Jonny Stokes would have a better idea but £10k per week between the two must be fairly close). IF Simpson and Cox are now reinstated to the first team then I can understand why the club held on to them but if these rumours are true then I'd be so frustrated as an O's fan as surely you're cutting your nose off to spite your face as this is the worst possible outcome - no money in, plenty of money out and your 2 best players "unavailable for selection."

Say what you like about Ron but better the devil you know......

I've just said something similar on another thread. The O's owner is seriously Looney Tunes and is slowly taking that club out of business.

My boss is an Orient die hard and has been for years. He says that he would swap our shambles for theirs ! Suppose the grass isn't always greener is it ....

We had this exact situation last season with McAnuff, with Becchetti deciding he's on too much money and freezing him out of the first team squad. All went swimmingly when we won our first five fixtures but when Cox snapped his cruciate ligament and we barely won a game for three months, FB was forced to climb down and bring Jobi back in from the cold. He disappeared again once he got one game short of an automatic contract extension. Have to wait and see if that happens with Simpson and Cox. It'd be a f***ing disgrace if it happened to the latter who has always poured his heart and soul into the club, and merely baffling if it happened with Simpson.

One thing to say about the 'policy' is that we don't exactly need the money, and Becchetti is more interested in his warped 'principles' than he is in a few hundred grand.

But yes, we are an absolute shambles at the moment. Luckily League Two is so excruciatingly bad we will still feature somewhere in the top half.

It appears that Orient have been paying well over the odds in wages to players meaning that people like Simpson are reluctant to take a pay cut elsewhere resulting in no deals done. Once you earn a certain wage very few people would be happy taking a pay cut. If Simpson had joined us on a lower wage he may not have been 100 per cent happy and his performances may have reflected that. May have been Just as well that he didn't sign.

Dean Cox has been released. No, you can't sign him until January.

Off to slit my wrists. See you all around the Checkafraud game.

Well, you have our sympathy (mine at least). It is pretty poor seeing your club go from bad to worse. And yet we just keep coming back for more ...........

Hmmm so the "banished" option for Becchetti strikes again, this time banished from the whole club! I know we're obviously rivals but you have my sympathy too, Becchetti is clearly a first-class idiot with no regard for supporters. Be interesting to see if Simpson is still allowed to play for your boys, not that it makes any difference to us now as there's no chance of him ending up here.

Is that right that Cox can't sign for anyone until January? I don't know the regulations around this but it seems unfair (or maybe not legal) to cancel his contract after the transfer window and effectively preventing him from applying his trade for 4 months.

...by the way, I would love him to join us...

Its a good question- whats the difference between a free transfer, and cancelling their contract so you can play for someone else. Transfer windows would be pointless if you could make a transfer happen by one club cancelling and the other signing. Obviously no fee- but most transfers don't involve a fee.

I kind of remember if you were out of contract in the window you could sign out of the window- but if you become non-contract in the window you wait to the next window? Could easily be wrong but I think its the situation.

Isn't it something to do with the contract being cancelled but they still hold his registration?

Its a good question- whats the difference between a free transfer, and cancelling their contract so you can play for someone else. Transfer windows would be pointless if you could make a transfer happen by one club cancelling and the other signing. Obviously no fee- but most transfers don't involve a fee.

I kind of remember if you were out of contract in the window you could sign out of the window- but if you become non-contract in the window you wait to the next window? Could easily be wrong but I think its the situation.

I was always under the impresion that as long as your contract was cancelled before the window shuts then you can sign for another club outside the window. I believe that is correct. It doesn't sound like Cox's contract at Orient was cancelled until today so that would prevent him from signing for anyone until January.

Cox is a class act in the lower leagues, such a good player. Would sign him in a heartbeat but it's not all about signing quantity, I keep forgetting.

Bechetti has been an awful owner since he took over and clearly has no idea how to even run a football club competently. He is killing that club and it baffles me that someone who has supposed links to the mafia in Albania is allowed to pass a fit and proper persons test.

Dumping Cox the day after he could of signed for another club is really low , i know he is injured but if they have done that out of spite then it stinks , he has been a good servent to Orient as he was at Brighton , i will be interested to see Orients official take on this .

Becchetti is a lunatic, but I don't think Cox was entirely blameless - I believe we accepted an offer from Northampton, but Deano wanted us to pay a fee as well to settle his existing, lucrative contract and the madman refused. That is my take on the fiasco.
Regardless, the clubs two line statement on the website was nothing short of scandalous and the powers that be should hang their heads in shame.
Presuming he puts his head down over the next few months, gets fully match fit I would expect numerous L1 clubs to be sniffing around him - my money is that he will end up at Charlton, assuming Russell Slade is still manager in January.
I have lived in and around Southend for most of my life and suffered many a bit of abuse from Southend fans - believe me when I say, this is as bad as I have ever known supporting Orient (35 years). The club is totally toxic, the only decent bit of a matchday is the supporters club before the game.
When Becchetti took over, part of me was excited but part of me remained very dubious - why would anyone want to buy a club with no assets? What are their motives and reasons?
Despite what Southend fans think of Orient, we have gone from being a stable League 1 side (almost hit the Championship but probably overachieved that season) with a decent chairman and being well respected by most football clubs and fans.
Now look at us - I see literally no way out and can envisage Becchetti walking away and leaving us to face oblivion. Either that, or a phoenix AFC Orient if he doesn't walk away. Both prospects are terrifying.
I wouldn't mind if we had a few seasons in the sun, at least I could have seen us lift a trophy, which I still haven't in my lifetime! Nah, all Becchett has done is spend a fortune and get us relegated!!!
You literally couldn't make it up.....as someone as has already said, the grass isn't always greener......beware of what you wish for!!!

Back