• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Leyton Orient 2-2 Southend United

South stand can't work for away supporters as impossible to segregate supporters on entry/ exit.

Never been in the North bank, I was raised in the east, and after a few decades, migrated to the west stand. Never seen the appeal of the modern Roots Hall two teired South stand myself.

But as we say,...each to their own i guess.

Out of curiosity, What does the South Upper hold?..and the South Lower? V the North Bank capacity (including that corner that never gets used, due to segregation?)

I don't know what the actual split is but the stand in total holds 2029 bums on seats seats, whereas the North is just over 2000. I'm sure that one of our more statistically aware Zoners will be able to answer the split question.

I believe that segregation / stewarding would be an issue. This idea has been raised before, with a similar response....unfortunately.....I served my apprenticeship in the North Bank...happy days idea :Clap:

I love the South Upper. In the middle rows you can see practically the whole pitch without obstruction, and as such, in my opinion anyway, you get a better idea of how the game is shaping up, tactics, player movement, etc, than you do side-on.

I've only sat in the South Upper twice and I had the incredible misfortune to watch Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, then of Gillingham, twice offering up very creditable impersonations of Jonah Lomu, whilst steaming through our defence as it it wasn't there. Although the view was certainly excelIent I've been psychologically scarred for life where the South Upper is concerned after those experiences.

I love the south upper, wouldn't sit anywhere else at the fortress that is Roots Hall.

Engaging in the conversation and the thread, because, as stated above....it can't / won't happen...
My theory is that you should accommodate your own fans in the most noise generating areas (North Bank), and then consider where you can safely site visiting supporters ....South Lower....crap view and acoustics...you can tell I've just returned from the pub..:Dizzy:

See Mattitouk, I've run a sample survey and I've discovered that South standers would not move to the North stand.

LOL

2 responses. That is certainly a "sample survey".

However the reason why i originally asked about the south stand, was the split between the south upper and lower capacity, as i personally wanted to know if it would be financially viable to open up the North bank to home fans and giving either south lower or south upper to away fans. (nothing more).

On the loose basis that we will get 1000 or less away fans a game, the north bank seems a better option to me to pull in more home fans behind each goals, and say the South Lower was dedicated to Away fans, and South Upper to home fans, we could be the 12th man and drown out their noise.
Don't Millwall use this method?

But as others have said, they've tried before, and it has never happened. So most likely, never will.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway i think this thread is going off topic from the Orient match.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So back on topic,

It Would be good to see all our old friends / foes, Justin Edinburgh, Martin Ling, Matt Harrold and David Mooney etc again.. (What's the odd's Harrold or Mooney will score against us!!)

Last edited:
Never been in the North bank, I was raised in the east, and after a few decades, migrated to the west stand. Never seen the appeal of the modern Roots Hall two teired South stand myself.

But as we say,...each to their own i guess.

Out of curiosity, What does the South Upper hold?..and the South Lower? V the North Bank capacity (including that corner that never gets used, due to segregation?)
Upper roughly 1000 lower 1200 and it’s a crap stand no atmosphere crap views even in upper unless your front row or in middle block! To have 1500-2000 in the north bank would create a great home atmosphere, but it won’t happen

I think people are severely overestimating how much money we could make from food and drink sales, most people already don't bother getting a drink from the West Stand bar because it's rammed and the queue for burgers at half time can't be more than a couple hundred people even when our attendance is 7000+. Adding an extra 2 thousand fans will probably only equate to an extra 50-100 burgers per match and probably won't result in any extra drink sales unless we bring in more bar staff. As for programmes they are generally only bought by collectors anymore, which new fans aren't going to be. All the information is online now.

The only thing I can see getting a real boost would be the Shrimpers bar, although does the club actually get revenue from that or does it go to the trust?

I think people are severely overestimating how much money we could make from food and drink sales, most people already don't bother getting a drink from the West Stand bar because it's rammed and the queue for burgers at half time can't be more than a couple hundred people even when our attendance is 7000+. Adding an extra 2 thousand fans will probably only equate to an extra 50-100 burgers per match and probably won't result in any extra drink sales unless we bring in more bar staff. As for programmes they are generally only bought by collectors anymore, which new fans aren't going to be. All the information is online now.

The only thing I can see getting a real boost would be the Shrimpers bar, although does the club actually get revenue from that or does it go to the trust?
The club gets all revenue from the bar.

I'm not completely clear what argument you are putting forward. I agree that revenue from food and drinks is lower than it could be for a number of reasons .............. but this also equates (in my mind at least) to there being a substantial level of "un-met demand" because there are many who make no purchases on match day because the facilities are so poor.

One of the best places I have been to has been Dagenham and Redbridge (and the old Darlington - but new ground - if that makes sense) where they have a "normal" bar for all to enjoy. If it weren't for the idiots with their fighting and hooliganism things could be so much better at every ground in the country.

Back