• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Originals and Remakes of Films

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Prompted by Naps and the discussion in The Karate Kid Thread......What films are better or worse than the original or should never have been attempted to re-make or ruin.

To start:

The Karate Kid...The Original is timeless ..hands off.

Almost all the horror films - remade for a younger crowd, they lose their tension. Watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original and now watch the remake - sure it's fast and well-edited, but the original was so well-written, so eerie, the remake lost it. See also the remakes of Halloween, etc.

The Italian Job & Get Carter were two remakes that should never have got off the drawing board.

And taking Naps' point IIRC there was a remake of Psycho. WTF!!

Ah but we were younger then and although I do not disagree with you little seems to frighten kids in films these days....when I first saw The Exorcist I was scared stiff...now days they just laugh at it...

Ah but we were younger then and although I do not disagree with you little seems to frighten kids in films these days....when I first saw The Exorcist I was scared stiff...now days they just laugh at it...

Only because the concentration levels have gone down. There's some cracking original horror films about - REC, The Orphanage, (although both of these are being remade, quelle domage), as well as some Japanese stuff. Most kids don't want to watch decent films!

scream 4 is being filmed - cant wait for that one, as Wes Craven's involved- he's a great director.

The Omen remake was surprisingly good (excellent in fact) and very similar to the original in terms of dialect

The Italian Job was cringworthy in its appallingness

I will certainly not be shelling out my hard-earned £7.75 to go and see that **** Russell Brand destroy the genius that was Drop Dead Fred...

The Omen remake was surprisingly good (excellent in fact) and very similar to the original in terms of dialect

The Italian Job was cringworthy in its appallingness

Interesting re the Omen. The original has stood the test of time - the actors are superb, the story is well-constructed, and it plays beautifully. The remake in its own right is a great film, but I didnt like the casting. Damien wasnt evil enough, and the others were forgettable. Having said that, if it wasnt a remake, I would have happily have seen it as a film on its own and enjoyed it. So, it's good, but not anywhere near the class of the original.

As mentioned by Canvey, the remake of The Italian Job was awful, also all the remakes of Goodbye Mr Chips are absolutly cringeworthy. Leave the original Robert Donat film alone FFS

The remake of Psycho was utterly pointless from a director who should know better. I struggle to think of a decent remake, same goes for foreign-language films remade in English.

Cape Fear was a good remake. I also enjoyed Assault on Precinct 13.

Planet of the apes the original was excellent but the remake and especially the end of the remake was very week.

Rollerball was a decent atmospheric film and the remake was pony.

I actually thought halloweens remake was decent but the remake of halloween 2 was so dire. Where there different directors?

Nightmare on elm street should have been left well alone aswell.

On a positive i thought the recent star trek movie was excellent.

On a positive i thought the recent star trek movie was excellent.

Yer, more a re-imagining than a remake though.

I look forward to the day when a decent director who knows what they're doing remakes (and completely rewrites) Star Wars 1-3 so Lucas' versions can be consigned to the bin of history.

Interesting re the Omen. The original has stood the test of time - the actors are superb, the story is well-constructed, and it plays beautifully. The remake in its own right is a great film, but I didnt like the casting. Damien wasnt evil enough, and the others were forgettable. Having said that, if it wasnt a remake, I would have happily have seen it as a film on its own and enjoyed it. So, it's good, but not anywhere near the class of the original.

Just about the perfect summing up that

I consider the following untouchable:

Caddyshack.
Police academy.
Back to the future.
Cannonball run.
American ninja.
Missing in action.
Ghostbusters.
Dirty Harry.
Enter the dragon.

Last edited: