• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Certainly sounds like Sturrock has made the decision, especially with the phrase, "Paul will be making new appointments to his support staff in the near future once he has evaluated candidates."

Can't say I'm overly fussed to be honest. Came here with a good reputation within the football league, but the players didn't seem to respond to him at all.

Last edited:
it says that he has "partied" company with the club - Freudian slip?!!!

+++UPDATE+++

Someone official (Scriv?) monitors this site as it has been corrected now!

Last edited:
Just watched PS on blues player from last night and he was clearly lying hiding the truth shall I say, about Widdrington. He broke into a half smile as well which looked a bit sadistic!

I'm a bit "meh" about it too. If it is Sturrock's decision then fair play, maybe he wants someone with a more positive attitude as from the little I saw & what others have said Widdrington was aggresive/negative (always shouting anyways).

So who'll be next aboard the good ship SUFC? Maybe an ex-blue?

I thought it was an interesting choice when he picked Tommy to start with as they'd never worked together before. Maybe the relationship just wasn't working, maybe Tommy didn't like being a number 2 after previously being boss, who knows.

I expect one of the following to happen:

1. Luggy appoints someone he knows well as assistant (Kevin Summerfield or John Blackley)

2. Coughlon becomes assistant manager and Widdrington's wages are spent on a new player

3. An experienced pro joins us as Player/Asst. manager (cue the Chris Powell rumours!)

Perhaps Ron suggested to PS to pick a young, 'future successor' that he trusts if things didnt turn out - with PS being out of football for a while and his illness etc, didnt want to make an appointment then if PS couldnt hack it, have a complete change of regime again.

Maybe PS has realised he has his appetite for the game still and will stick it out - and now wants his 'own' number 2?

Either that, or its all Rons fault etc.

well done to Southend blue then for starting a latest rumour thread, that actually turned out to be true! (is this a first?)

Using the art of reading what's there and, what tends to be more important, what's not there in the statement, it says that he'll be adding to the support staff as soon as he's evaluated candidates. I'd say that we won't see a new assistant manager (if anything, Coughlan may take up Assistant duties on match day), and that we'll see a new coach or two come in.

At least the club didn't lie as such. Tommy was absent for personal reasons.

Personal as in "We don't like you".

I just hope that whoever comes in next on the shrimpers conveyor belt lasts a little longer...............Christ we need to start getting some continuity back into this club soon!

Anyone else think its a bit of a coinsidence that Blackburn sack their manager and the next day Widdrington is gone. Really ****es me off how the big clubs try and get out of the compensation payments.

I know Blackburn have mega rich owners but they didnt fancy their chances at a tribunal obviously.

Using the art of reading what's there and, what tends to be more important, what's not there in the statement, it says that he'll be adding to the support staff as soon as he's evaluated candidates. I'd say that we won't see a new assistant manager (if anything, Coughlan may take up Assistant duties on match day), and that we'll see a new coach or two come in.

Believe it now then?!

Was Tommy actually brought in by Sturrock in the first place? or did Ron decide he wanted that partnership and told them they were working together?

I know they both came at the same time but not sure if Sturrock actually contacted Tommy.

Believe it now then?!

Excuse me if I refuse to believe anything posted on here until it's confirmed on the OS.

If I believed the rumours posted on here, not only would we have boasted a team including Matt Lockwood (x37) Stan Collymore (x12) Freddy Eastwood (x89) two years ago, but we'd also be out of business playing in a triangular stadium in Canvey.

I thought it was an interesting choice when he picked Tommy to start with as they'd never worked together before. Maybe the relationship just wasn't working, maybe Tommy didn't like being a number 2 after previously being boss, who knows.

I expect one of the following to happen:

1. Luggy appoints someone he knows well as assistant (Kevin Summerfield or John Blackley)

2. Coughlon becomes assistant manager and Widdrington's wages are spent on a new player

3. An experienced pro joins us as Player/Asst. manager (cue the Chris Powell rumours!)

4. Coughlan becomes assistant manager and Widdrington's wages are spent on a new Bentley (or on the basis of what we were probably paying him, refuelling the 'old' one.)

Back