• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

in the know

Newbie⭐⭐
Whilst I have only been to most home games and sporadic more local away games last season and this season, I like to think I possess at least the same knowledge and experience as others on the forum. A reasonably long family history of playing at professional level has enabled many hours of enjoyment at many levels.
However, I rarely post comments for one main reason....

I find the negativity of many (not all, but what seems a large majority) quite off putting, as it seems to overshadow more varied or positive comments being welcome. Whilst everyone is totally entitled to their opinions, it appears a majority do nothing but slag off various ad-hoc personnel of the team on almost a routine basis.
This led me to wonder if other fans forums are this vitriolic towards the teams they support. I have no knowledge of other forums and wondered if maybe its a common theme?

Lastly, I wondered if more positivity was representative of the facts. Won 1 lost 1 drawn 2 in the league with a few key players to come in is hardly a disaster!
Gabbing a point away from home against a bogey team with the above mentioned missing players is not a disaster ad scoring 3 away from home is cause for optimism, albeit whilst shipping 3 (2 good goals and pen).

It would be really refreshing if fair (not necessarily more) emphasis was given to the many good things that go on from the players

Just an observation which I hope some will think about

Whilst I have only been to most home games and sporadic more local away games last season and this season, I like to think I possess at least the same knowledge and experience as others on the forum. A reasonably long family history of playing at professional level has enabled many hours of enjoyment at many levels.
However, I rarely post comments for one main reason....

I find the negativity of many (not all, but what seems a large majority) quite off putting, as it seems to overshadow more varied or positive comments being welcome. Whilst everyone is totally entitled to their opinions, it appears a majority do nothing but slag off various ad-hoc personnel of the team on almost a routine basis.
This led me to wonder if other fans forums are this vitriolic towards the teams they support. I have no knowledge of other forums and wondered if maybe its a common theme?

Lastly, I wondered if more positivity was representative of the facts. Won 1 lost 1 drawn 2 in the league with a few key players to come in is hardly a disaster!
Gabbing a point away from home against a bogey team with the above mentioned missing players is not a disaster ad scoring 3 away from home is cause for optimism, albeit whilst shipping 3 (2 good goals and pen).

It would be really refreshing if fair (not necessarily more) emphasis was given to the many good things that go on from the players

Just an observation which I hope some will think about

Good post 'intheknow'.

Optimism tends to abound when we are having a good run of success, but it only takes a couple of bad results and those that have an axe to grind do so with a vengeance, sometimes with due cause. That said I think that currently the balance between the two from posters is pretty even. If you are interested in the reactions of other fans forums, there is a drop down box on the left hand side of the SZ Home page for FL1 fans boards where you can have a little look at what some of them get up to. You might find that SZ is quite upbeat in comparison with some of them!

I reckon the best way for you to see more positive posts on here is for you to post some and see the reaction.

I do agree but when you finish the previous season 1 point short of the play offs most fans want instant success the following season, we a a couple of key players down and we have only lost 1 from 4 lge games, with a little bit of luck going our way and those players getting fit I'm quite confident the results will turn to wins!!

To a degree I would say you are right, however praise does come when deserved, and hopefully it will tip the balance soon?!

Football fans are generally a fickle bunch, even on the back end of a good run the dummies do tend to come out quickly after a bad result

If you think we're bad... you should check the Gooners fury on twitter this evening :smile:

Appreciate that I should maybe post more comment if I make the effort to comment on others axe grinding ventures. However, I probably will only comment if ever I feel the need to balance anything out a bit.
I will take a look at other forums as suggested though. Very much appreciate the guidance where to find it. thank you RootsHallbloke

Appreciate that I should maybe post more comment if I make the effort to comment on others axe grinding ventures. However, I probably will only comment if ever I feel the need to balance anything out a bit.
I will take a look at other forums as suggested though. Very much appreciate the guidance where to find it. thank you RootsHallbloke

You're welcome mate, don't be too nice to Rigsby though, he'll expect it from everyone:winking:

Absolutely how I see it too Bess30. Im sure over this season those missing players will come back and unfortunately some may be injured along the way (I hope not of course) . Things that can affect every club - more so in lower leagues.
7th place was representative of the whole season which although felt unlucky at the time, I felt gave a good base to build on for this year.
And still can be.
Every club has problem players and situations. Its how theyre overcome that makes the difference

To a degree I would say you are right, however praise does come when deserved, and hopefully it will tip the balance soon?!

Football fans are generally a fickle bunch, even on the back end of a good run the dummies do tend to come out quickly after a bad result

If you think we're bad... you should check the Gooners fury on twitter this evening :smile:

I saw the first 60 mins..... I can imagine how they must feel about their players performances with the money and expectation involved at that level

Fair post mr in the know; I am sure many of us could name the poster from the typed words alone and their brand of blame venom that is repeated ad nausea after any loss or draw (and sometimes win!).
It will be in the form of an attack on the person generally and not on anything specific that actually happened ; and very often especially with away games, it will about a game the person has not attended!
if people look ( and search) for faults in a particular player then, over the 95 minutes of a game, it will usually be seen, remembered and the laboured repeatedly on here with all the good stuff forgotten; it is the way, sadly, too many people are.

Appropriately it would be foolish to comment on current ties relationships or affinity to southend on a website, which I hope youl understand but historically, my grandad was a professional player at west ham and I believe at southend too many many moons ago. My father was a professional goalkeeper for southend (again many many years ago - Im in my 50s). My eldest played for a professional club for 5 years. So its enabled me to be lucky enough to watch an awful lot of live football and have a not too shabby understanding of the game in its entirety.

Last edited:
Having said that, it obviously doesn't make my views more or less correct than any other persons views on here which I respect. My views are just opinions like everyone else, and I enjoy the majority of the various comments on here no matter if good or bad. Im certain there would be many others with more knowledge than myself. Was simply just answering the enquiry raised

Back