• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sleaford Shrimper

Grumpy Old Man
Phil Brown's comment in his Echo interview after the Peterborough match that he had stuck with Cox and Fortune up front because they have developed such a good mutual understanding set me thinking about great partnership pairings in attack and in central defence that I have seen over the course of my 50 years watching professional football at all levels of the game. In the top division I can think, off the top of my head, of Alan Gilzean and Jimmy Greaves up front at Spurs, Malcolm Macdonald and John Tudor up front at Newcastle and Jack Charlton and Norman Hunter at the back for Leeds.

What would you regard as the most effective Southend United central defensive and strike partnerships that you have seen over the years?

I'll set the ball rolling with Gary Moore and Billy Best up front and Pat Scully and Spencer Prior at the back.

Phil Brown's comment in his Echo interview after the Peterborough match that he had stuck with Cox and Fortune up front because they have developed such a good mutual understanding set me thinking about great partnership pairings in attack and in central defence that I have seen over the course of my 50 years watching professional football at all levels of the game. In the top division I can think, off the top of my head, of Alan Gilzean and Jimmy Greaves up front at Spurs, Malcolm Macdonald and John Tudor up front at Newcastle and Jack Charlton and Norman Hunter at the back for Leeds.

What would you regard as the most effective Southend United central defensive and strike partnerships that you have seen over the years?

I'll set the ball rolling with Gary Moore and Billy Best up front and Pat Scully and Spencer Prior at the back.

Agreed with Sammy McCrory and Kevin Baron up front close behind.

Here's a couple of leftfield ones for other teams: Ted McDougall and Phil Bowyer for Bournemouth, and Ray Houghton and John Aldridge for Oxford.

For us I'd say Billy Best and Bill Garner, with Moore, Peter Taylor and Terry Johnson in a five man forward line.

I should have added Roy Hollis to my suggestion of Kevin Baron and Sammy McCrory. How could I have forgotten him?

Prior and Scully took some beating but Ferdinand and Thompson are on the way to that level. Thompson's improvement playing alongside Anton has been incredible.

Forward pairings is a tough one. I used to think Eastwood and Gray were a perfect pairing at that time. Wayne Gray was prepared to do all the running for Freddie, leaving him to smash in 50 odd goals in two seasons (not forgetting Goaters contribution as well)

Slowest front two that I have ever seen was McDonough and Benjamin. For some reason I went and watched Chelmsford City at their old ground (mid 90's) and these two were the strike pairing!!

I should have added Roy Hollis to my suggestion of Kevin Baron and Sammy McCrory. How could I have forgotten him?
How? Because your memory must be failing you.Baron was the "schemer",he played some way behind the goal scorers,Hollis and McCrory.They get my vote as best pairing and at the back it has to be Neil Townsend and Alan Moody

Angell and Collymore

v WHU and Sheff. W. stick in the memory but they didn't play many games together cos Angell was out injures.Stan had to play alongside a feeble youngster called Steve Brown.

Funny enough I just started a new thread about our squad. I struggle to remember when we had a better strike force as we have and as for the centre backs, I'm struggling with that one too. We have depth all over the place.

Back