• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our Friday Night Advantage

Roxy

Manager
A bit like Marmite, whether you love or hate them tonight sees the first of our big Friday Night Matches at the Hall.
As we now have three of these on the bounce, I think we should try to use them to our advantage.

Lets face it our 3 next home matches are all massive and should not be lacking in atmosphere, I think if we really get behind the team and play our part we could help create a unique Friday Night feeling at the Hall.

Most visiting teams will be a bit out of kilter gearing themselves up to play on a Friday, having had their regular weekly routine (and golf) disrupted which we can only be to our advantage.

I for one would really like to hear the 'DJ' (I use that term loosely!), try to get the crowd going before kick off and especially after we have scored! Listening to the radio the other night, it was noticeable how involved the crowd were at the Burnley v Man Utd match and as they and we have proved this can bring great rewards.

I know that Sky have now started to use it, but I would like to hear the Black Eyed Peas 'I've got a feeling' booming out loud on the tannoy pre kick-off to get me in the mood.

What do others think we can do/or not to create a unique 'Friday Night Feeling' and help make Roots Hall a 'Friday Night Fortress' for our visitors?

Last edited:
Get well tanked on 'Poets Day' afternoon so you're ready to roar and bellow! Get in there - you know it makes sense!!

Get well tanked on 'Poets Day' afternoon so you're ready to roar and bellow! Get in there - you know it makes sense!!

Agreed, a few pre-match refreshments on a sunny Friday afternoon/early evening guaranteed to help that 'Friday Feeling'!

I've thought for a while now that the pre-match music kills any chance for the crowd to get going. It's so loud that you're never going to get chants going.

How about playing songs that we can sing along to with our own word like Hey Jude or that ska tune that Wolves and Chelsea play.

I think with a little bit of thought from the club, and effort from us we could actually generate an atmosphere right from the kick-off.

How about if Ron bobsleighed onto the centre circle via a specially constructed 'tube' that circled all four stands before arriving on the centre spot. To excite the fans even more perhaps he could be followed down the slide by Matt Heath who once arriving on the pitch signs a one month extension to his loan deal. Even better, "Juan" could ride around the pitch on a donkey at half-time and allow little kids to feed the donkey some SUFC-branded blue carrotts.

Look, it's easy to be cynical and say that would never happen, we're skint etc. etc. but dreams do sometimes come true.

How about if Ron bobsleighed onto the centre circle via a specially constructed 'tube' that circled all four stands before arriving on the centre spot. To excite the fans even more perhaps he could be followed down the slide by Matt Heath who once arriving on the pitch signs a one month extension to his loan deal. Even better, "Juan" could ride around the pitch on a donkey at half-time and allow little kids to feed the donkey some SUFC-branded blue carrotts.

Look, it's easy to be cynical and say that would never happen, we're skint etc. etc. but dreams do sometimes come true.

Very funny indeed, made me really laugh NZamba.
I can't stop giggling now, just visualising it in my imagination!

I would rather watch Southend play than go to the V festival! :support:

Yeah OK, but what if Barrett was on drums, Moussa on bass, Barnard lead and JFC vocals/ rhythm and the guys had a 10.30 pm headline slot on the Mobile Phone stage. Bet that would test your loyalties!

Yeah OK, but what if Barrett was on drums, Moussa on bass, Barnard lead and JFC vocals/ rhythm and the guys had a 10.30 pm headline slot on the Mobile Phone stage. Bet that would test your loyalties!

Stick Tony Grant on the bongos side-stage and I'm straight up the A130.

Let's hope not too many fans are going to the V festival today.

I reckon we are still looking at 8000 plus tonight

Millwall will sell a 1000 or so

East Stand Yellow/Red/Greens are sold out......

3 POINTS SOUTHEND UNITED FC PLEASE

I reckon we are still looking at 8000 plus tonight

Millwall will sell a 1000 or so

East Stand Yellow/Red/Greens are sold out......

3 POINTS SOUTHEND UNITED FC PLEASE

It was an 8400 crowd but only because Millwall brought 2000 fans. Where were the Southend fans that love Friday night matches, the home crowd was lower than Huddersfield game. I know it's early in the season but we are 700 or so home fans per game down on last season.

Mind you what with our season tickets not working AGAIN, my lad & his friend were NOT included in the official attendance.

Last edited:
It was an 8400 crowd but only because Millwall brought 2000 fans. Where were the Southend fans that love Friday night matches, the home crowd was lower than Huddersfield game. I know it's early in the season but we are 700 or so home fans per game down on last season.

Mind you what with our season tickets not working AGAIN, my lad & his friend were NOT included in the official attendance.

Sorry but WHAT .. Mill**** as at 2.00 PM only sold 1400

Stop slagging Southend and **** of back to South London

GROW UP

Last edited:
Back