• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Morning All,

Not meaning to be a merchant of doom after what I thought was a pretty decent performance last night from the lads but I am really not impressed by either of our full backs at the moment.

Gilbert I think is pretty decent in the air but that is about the only positive I can draw. I feel he gives the ball away so much, and the amount of times he gets beaten by some fairly basic wingers is scary. He is an improvement on Herd who sadly I dont feel will ever make the grade here but moving forward if we want to stand a chance of promotion next season I feel he needs to be moved on.

Clohessey I think flatters to decieve. I dont think he is a very good defender and going forward I think he is so one dimensional its untrue. Amazed listening to Essex radio on the drive home last night when Nick Alliker commented Sean had been one of the players of the season. I just cant see it.

Am I being a bit harsh? Anyone with me on this.

I was only saying the same last weekend that our current problem is the two full backs and the current keeper!

I feel that these areas need to be looked at and very quick if we want to really puch a play off spot

After a couple of recent reasonable performances, IMO Gilbert has returned to his previous poor standard. I thought Clohessey was one of the early season successes, but his form since Xmas has been less than average.

Clohessy has been brilliant at time.
Who was he playing for before we signed him? and he has stepped up and been as good as Simon I can't defend to save my life Francis.
Gilbert on the other hand, I like a basic defender and that, but he just looks panicky on the ball, I still think he has more to offer and he has improved of late.

Remember we are in League 2.

Dave, i absolutely agree with you about the Full Backs as i said last night. You mentioned Rhys Evans last night too, i think last night he had perhaps his best game for us. I still think Glenn Morris is the better keeper though.

Clohessy has been brilliant at time.
Who was he playing for before we signed him? and he has stepped up and been as good as Simon I can't defend to save my life Francis.
Gilbert on the other hand, I like a basic defender and that, but he just looks panicky on the ball, I still think he has more to offer and he has improved of late.

Remember we are in League 2.

Salisbury City. One of Widdrington's signings.

Clohessy had a good start but has faded in recent weeks, maybe a bit of fatigue?

I've not thought much of Gilbert either but I thought he'd actually improved slightly in the last month or so.

Gilbert scares the living daylights out of me every time the ball goes anywhere near him.

I rarely slate players and can generally find good in anyone who pulls on a blue shirt, but Gilbert tips me over the edge.

I haven't been like this since Mark Hone

I don't think clohessy has played well of late, but he certainly had his moments earlier on in the season. A good player just not playing very well at the moment.

On the other hand Gilbert, hasn't been great all season. Has had a few good games especially in the past month or so, but im sure the bad games he has had will out weigh the good.

Still.. that being said i would rather have him at left back than johnny herd.

Gilbert scares the living daylights out of me every time the ball goes anywhere near him.

I rarely slate players and can generally find good in anyone who pulls on a blue shirt, but Gilbert tips me over the edge.

I haven't been like this since Mark Hone

I'd definitely agree that Gilbert has been poor, but he's a marked improvement on Herd and has looked good in recent weeks, until last night. I thought he was great against Northampton.

When I watch Prosser, I see a defender who definitely knows what he's supposed to be doing but he lacks the confidence and/or mental strength to follow through with the movement. When I watch Herd, I see a defender who just doesn't understand his positional responsibility and he just can't use the age excuse anymore.

It's a real shame that we haven't had both Phillips and Mohsni fit at the same time this season. Barker - Mohsni - Phillips - Clohessy has the makings of a very complete back line.

I'd definitely agree that Gilbert has been poor, but he's a marked improvement on Herd and has looked good in recent weeks, until last night. I thought he was great against Northampton.

When I watch Prosser, I see a defender who definitely knows what he's supposed to be doing but he lacks the confidence and/or mental strength to follow through with the movement. When I watch Herd, I see a defender who just doesn't understand his positional responsibility and he just can't use the age excuse anymore.

It's a real shame that we haven't had both Phillips and Mohsni fit at the same time this season. Barker - Mohsni - Phillips - Clohessy has the makings of a very complete back line.

Strangely Herd does not fill me with abject terror, perhaps its because I know that he is not the first choice.

Prosser, I haven't actually seen a great deal of, mainly because , since the Port Vale game i cover my eyes when the ball gets within 5 yards of him (and that includes the half time warm up)

I haven't actually seen a great deal to shout about with Phillips either........

Ok... When Bilel isn't playing I fret every time the ball goes into our half, when he is , I leave the freting until the ball gets in the final 3rd

I think with Clohessy it's worth noting that he has started every single game since the Torquay home game on 4th September. The last game he missed was the JPT game with Gillingham in August. I think I'm right in saying he's played every single minute in that run as well.

Gilbert has been far, far better in recent weeks, but when he's bad, his distribution is on a par with Scott Malone.

Last edited:

Gilbert has been average to poor for most of the season (IMO) and it must be so frustrating for Herd to sit and watch him week after week. Herd will be away at the end of the season no doubt.

So many different opinions on these two, Gilbert I think has been pretty good lately but everytime he has the ball he's very unpredictable or should I say a little dodgey, don't mean that harshly. I think he has more to give. Both him and Clohessy needs to defend alot better. Clohessy is good going up, most of the time available on that right for others to switch the play which is good. But both need improving on defending

Back