• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our most impactful signing ever?

Dean Austin had gone but far more importantly Ian Benjamin had also departed for Luton who was such a big loss to us. We had injuries to key players and at the time Collymore arrived it was a very poor side - if you remember Collymore actually played up front with Steve Brown on debut. Collymore played such a huge part in our survival, along with that fat git Fry....

Benji might have finished second top scorer that season and he was sold in November! Still his replacement was handy.

I felt sorry for Murphy that he never had a fully fit Angell available but I think that was his only major injury he had to deal with and he kept dropping talented players like Keith Jones and Andy Ansah, usually for more defensive minded players.

I think Stuart Brace is a good shout.

Made his debut on 10th October 1973 in our 12th game of the season when we had a record of W2 D3 L6 having scored just 9 goals.

After 15 games he was top scorer with 6 goals and finished with 20 League goals from 35 games and 2 FA Cup from 3.

5 braces :Smile: and a hat trick - probably the only person to have scored a hat trick for us and against us at Roots Hall.

Made his debut on 10th October 1973 in our 12th game of the season when we had a record of W2 D3 L6 having scored just 9 goals.

After 15 games he was top scorer with 6 goals and finished with 20 League goals from 35 games and 2 FA Cup from 3.

5 braces :Smile: and a hat trick - probably the only person to have scored a hat trick for us and against us at Roots Hall.

He scored in a 1-1 draw with Aldershot in my first ever game at RH. I think he scored in my second game which was 2-2 v QPR FAC3......So certainly made an impact on me.

Slightly different approach, but Lee Barnard leaving the first time had a massive impact.

The wheels came right off after that.

Without looking it up im pretty sure that he scored 1 in his first game for us, 2 in his second and a hat trick in his third. (that might have been home games only).

Without looking it up im pretty sure that he scored 1 in his first game for us, 2 in his second and a hat trick in his third. (that might have been home games only).
According to Rothmans Year Book Stuart Brace made his debut against Hereford United at Roots Hall on the 19/10/73 scoring the winning goal in a 2-1 win the other Southend goal was scored by Brian Albeson. Three days later (22/10/73) Stuart scored both goals in a 2-2 draw against Oldhan Athletic again at Roots Hall. After winning 2-1 away at Shrewsbury Town with goals from Chris Guthrie & Alan Moody we then thrashed Huddersfield Town 5-2 at Roots Hall with a hat-trick from Stuart and further goals from Dave Elliott and a Brian Albeson penalty. Stuart Brace ended the 1973-74 season as our leading goalscorer with a total of 19 goals in total (18 league and 1 F.A.Cup) of which only five were scored away from Roots Hall with 2 at Bournemouth & Walsall and a single goal scored ironically at Grimsby Town in a 2-1 defeat. That defeat at Grimsby Town was Southend's only defeat that season in a match when Stuart Brace was a goalscorer?

According to Rothmans Year Book Stuart Brace made his debut against Hereford United at Roots Hall on the 19/10/73 scoring the winning goal in a 2-1 win the other Southend goal was scored by Brian Albeson. Three days later (22/10/73) Stuart scored both goals in a 2-2 draw against Oldhan Athletic again at Roots Hall. After winning 2-1 away at Shrewsbury Town with goals from Chris Guthrie & Alan Moody we then thrashed Huddersfield Town 5-2 at Roots Hall with a hat-trick from Stuart and further goals from Dave Elliott and a Brian Albeson penalty. Stuart Brace ended the 1973-74 season as our leading goalscorer with a total of 19 goals in total (18 league and 1 F.A.Cup) of which only five were scored away from Roots Hall with 2 at Bournemouth & Walsall and a single goal scored ironically at Grimsby Town in a 2-1 defeat. That defeat at Grimsby Town was Southend's only defeat that season in a match when Stuart Brace was a goalscorer?
He used to drink down the Smack in Leigh .

Following on from my post yesterday having done some more research I have found some discrepancies regarding my post: According to the Southend United book by Peter Mason & Dave Goody which was released in February 1993 Stuart Brace actually scored 20 league and 2 F.A.Cup goals in his debut season of 1973-74 this is confirmed after checking the programmes from that season. The Rothmans Year Book from 1974-75 clearly states a couple of the goals are down as own goals where as the home game against Port Vale on Feb. 9th.'74 clearly shows Dave Elliott as the goalscorer when it was in fact Stuart Brace. After signing for Southend Utd. in October 1973 Stuart played in all 38 league and cup matches that season having signed at the same time with Willie Coulson who also featured in the same 38 matches.

Back