• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our most impactful signing ever?

Biggest post WWII is Stan.

Scored the goals to keep us in the Championship then his transfer fee paid for Ricky Otto, Jason Lee, Tommy Mooney and ground redevelopment.

But someone like Harold Halse from the early days is probably the overall answer. In the early days we could have disappeared into obscurity but Halse’s goals and subsequent transfer fee helped establish a fledgling club.

All the obvious ones have been mentioned so I'll go with Lawrie Dudfield being quite impactful from memory.

I don't have any stats to hand only anecdotal evidence but I seem to remember us being dismal at the time. He came in and scored some very important goals to move us away from the drop zone.

Collymore by a country mile. We were going out of the first div, a terrible team, awful Football. He came in - a left winger and played up front. I think it was notts county we played in his first game - scored 2 - the second running the length of the pitch and hitting the TOP corner - even Steve smith? Scored. Biggest return in cash, progress, putting sufc on a map and all round excitement
Do you mean ex YT and strike partner Steve(n) Brown?

Probably some recency bias involved but the over-investment of wages for Michael Kightly surely impacted our other midfield choices but didn’t ultimately cost as much us as we it might have due to our final day heroics.

Then there’s the famous overall cost of Peter Clarke - supposedly one of our biggest ever investments.

was about to mention Peter Clarke - can I moan about us getting promoted as champions and receiving nothing and then going up against relegated clubs who received millions in parachute payments again?
Can I Can I Can I !!!

Barry Fry turned us from relegation fodder to realistic top division contenders in less than 12 months. That was an impact signing !.... We won't talk about how it ended.

Barry Fry turned us from relegation fodder to realistic top division contenders in less than 12 months. That was an impact signing !.... We won't talk about how it ended.

Webb had us as contenders the season before (top on January 1st!) and the core of that side was still around. I think the more impactful move was removing that clown Murphy - the only decent thing he did (and it’s such a good claim to fame Judas nicked it) was sign Stan.

Webb had us as contenders the season before (top on January 1st!) and the core of that side was still around. I think the more impactful move was removing that clown Murphy - the only decent thing he did (and it’s such a good claim to fame Judas nicked it) was sign Stan.

Ah right.... was it Webb who had us top on new years day... I thought that was Fry.

Trying to avoid the obvious answers so I’ll go for Barry Corr. Sturrock worked wonders in his first season. Staying in League 2 at that point was the priority as we could easily have dropped like Stockport did and to have had a 20 goal a season man was an absolute dream and something even the most optimistic of fan couldn’t have predicted

All the obvious ones have been mentioned so I'll go with Lawrie Dudfield being quite impactful from memory.

I don't have any stats to hand only anecdotal evidence but I seem to remember us being dismal at the time. He came in and scored some very important goals to move us away from the drop zone.

Good shout. No stats to back it up either but fairly sure he came in near the end of the season and scored enough goals to keep us up under Tilson first few games? The next season we obviously went on to be promoted signing Eastwood after a few games.

I’m sure relegation out of the football league could’ve been the end of SUFC.

Trying to avoid the obvious answers so I’ll go for Barry Corr. Sturrock worked wonders in his first season. Staying in League 2 at that point was the priority as we could easily have dropped like Stockport did and to have had a 20 goal a season man was an absolute dream and something even the most optimistic of fan couldn’t have predicted

A 15 goal a season man,IRC.:Winking:

Humphrys has the ability to absolutely tear up L1 next season. Built like a tank, but not slow, good finishing, great desire and work rate. Really excited for him in particular and think he could join this type of list alongside Corr, Freddy, Barrett, Sankofa et al.

Humphrys has the ability to absolutely tear up L1 next season. Built like a tank, but not slow, good finishing, great desire and work rate. Really excited for him in particular and think he could join this type of list alongside Corr, Freddy, Barrett, Sankofa et al.

And he's still only 21 - maybe because he didn't come through our youth team, I thought he was older (and because he's built like a tank!).

To put it in perspective he was in the same academic year (and therefore youth cohort) as Norman Wabo.

Back