• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our National Anthem?

Winkle

Manager
Does anyone else find our national anthem boring? Its just so depressing! No wonder alot of the fans and alot of the players dont now the words or cant be bothered to learn them, its just so demotivating. We need a change in my view, something like liverpools (walk on) or some other great footballing song that gets your hairs on the back of your neck to stand to attention.

I think the objection that many have to the anthem is that it's dedicated to one person the reigning Monarch. Therefore Republicans won't find to their taste. I'm in favour of Royalty but not the anthem which IMO should be Land of Hope & Glory, Jerusalem or I Vow to Thee my Country.

I think the objection that many have to the anthem is that it's dedicated to one person the reigning Monarch. Therefore Republicans won't find to their taste. I'm in favour of Royalty but not the anthem which IMO should be Land of Hope & Glory, Jerusalem or I Vow to Thee my Country.

If I'm brutally honest, I dont really care if its sung for the reigning monarch, the primeminister, lord lucan or cynthia payne, its just boring. Perhaps we need an inspiring hymn or even a verse from some famous writer or poet, we just need to dump "God save the queen"

I've got to disagree with all of you I LOVE IT!!

Countless times I've sang my heart out to our anthem whilst cheering on our national team. It is not boring, but patriotic and gets the adrenalin going!

Much, much better than the majority of anthems sung, and did you hear the 30,000 fans singing it yesterday? Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! If only I could have afford to go I would have belted it out!!

God bless the Queeny:excellent:

It's not the best, but it sounded immense yesterday.

The England fans yesterday produced the loudest VOCAL atmosphere of the entire tournament so far. Very little vuvuzela noise which was nice!

I was talking to Mrs DS about this yesterday - she's a yank, and it was interesting to get her opinion. She likes it, thinks it's memorable but then she's from a republic so it has the novelty factor for her. Personally I think it's ok, everyone knows it (well the first verse at least) but there are more stirring anthems in the WC. I wouldn't mind us switching to 'Land of Hope & Glory', afterall the scots & welsh have their own songs even though Lizzy is their Queen too.

Also good to see some of the players belting it out yesterday, mssrs Upson, Terry, Cole & James.

If the Anthem was to change, who would be in power to decide it should change and what it should change to, maybe get a facebook group going to get it changed, everyone else seems to do this if they want things changed!

Could you honestly expect a song whose title is the capital of a Non Christian Country to be accepted ?

I prefer Land of Hope and Glory , or maybe Oops upside your head

Could you honestly expect a song whose title is the capital of a Non Christian Country to be accepted ?

I prefer Land of Hope and Glory , or maybe Oops upside your head

Yes. It's played as the anthem for the England cricket team. My preference is for Land of Hope & Glory. But Vindaloo will be ok.

Back