• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
With the current incumbent's contract effectively expiring exactly 6 months' time, it's time to look forward to see in what direction we should go.

The new manager will need to reshape the entire squad. Of Saturday's starting XI, the youngest player under contract for next season will be 32.

The new manager will need to be able to work to a budget - this is particularly relevant given the lack of recent cup runs and transfer fees (unless Leonard is sold in January) that the previous incumbents generated that subsidised PB's spending.

The new manager will need to bring through youth - we have done an appalling job of transitioning the under23s to the first team. We'll need someone who can develop the likes of Ted Smith, Elvis Bwomono, Dru Yearwood and Jack Bridge into first team regulars rather than last resorts.

Do we go for:

A coaching novice but someone who already knows the players?

A first time manager who has already cut his teeth in coaching and is looking for a promotion to the top job. The only time Ron went this way, he made his most successful appointment with Tilly.

An experienced manager who is available as has already failed elsewhere? This is Ron's favoured route but the appointments (Alan Little, Steve Wignall, Paul Sturrock and Phil Brown and the (fortunately failed appointment of Ian Atkins)) have had at best mixed success.

An experienced manager at the lower levels looking for a promotion to the big time?

What direction would you be looking to go in?

With the current incumbent's contract effectively expiring exactly 6 months' time, it's time to look forward to see in what direction we should go.

The new manager will need to reshape the entire squad. Of Saturday's starting XI, the youngest player under contract for next season will be 32.

The new manager will need to be able to work to a budget - this is particularly relevant given the lack of recent cup runs and transfer fees (unless Leonard is sold in January) that the previous incumbents generated that subsidised PB's spending.

The new manager will need to bring through youth - we have done an appalling job of transitioning the under23s to the first team. We'll need someone who can develop the likes of Ted Smith, Elvis Bwomono, Dru Yearwood and Jack Bridge into first team regulars rather than last resorts.

Do we go for:

A coaching novice but someone who already knows the players?

A first time manager who has already cut his teeth in coaching and is looking for a promotion to the top job. The only time Ron went this way, he made his most successful appointment with Tilly.

An experienced manager who is available as has already failed elsewhere? This is Ron's favoured route but the appointments (Alan Little, Steve Wignall, Paul Sturrock and Phil Brown and the (fortunately failed appointment of Ian Atkins)) have had at best mixed success.

An experienced manager at the lower levels looking for a promotion to the big time?

What direction would you be looking to go in?

Up I'd hope :winking:

Paul Sturrock was a really shrewd appointment.

We might very well be playing Orient this season otherwise.

Another pointless debate, which has been spoken about numerous times

What next a poll to see if we want Brown to sign a new contract

UTS

It really beggars belief. Maybe some people have too much time on their hands?

Browns done pretty well for us and would reach Tilson + status if he could take us up into the Championship. However in terms of future planning and Strategy, I suspect this is more down to the decisions of the Management Group rather than just Brown. I assume this includes Ron, Phil ,possibly Chief Scout and Coughlin occasionally, as well as Phils mate Horton. They must act as a team, I assume otherwise there would be indecisive leadership

For example the acknowledged strategy to 1, move away from loanees this year 2, Have a smaller squad of allegedly better quality, ( which predictably has caused real problems linked to my next point) 3. To take the high risks of bringing in older players, 4. To avoid the lower leagues ,following Peterboroughs acknowledged excellent model, 5 Presumably to show little interest in signings from abroad.

I didnt like this years shift in strategy very much. If change is needed we would need to also look at all the incumbents below Ron presumably and the way in which they function? Of course Mr Martin himself may be an issue????

Don't know why it's a pointless debate when we have a manager that not only has just 6 months left on his contract but also seems to be bending over for any other job within the footballing pyramid.

Think we'd need to go for another experienced / named manager in all honesty. Quite a rebuild on next season assuming the bulk of our players leave that are out of contract. Add to that our players under contract include Kightly (31 and injury prone), Hendrie (completely out of favour under the current manager) and Theo (****), there will be a serious amount of changes to the playing squad.

Not that I think he'd come here, but Simon Grayson would be a great appointment. Numerous promotions at this level and from the outside seems pretty liked within the game.

Just a prediction.
Our next manager will either get us relegated or will be sacked when we are almost relegated
We are long overdue a crap managerial appointment , its been a good few years since Mr Wignall .

Don't know why it's a pointless debate when we have a manager that not only has just 6 months left on his contract but also seems to be bending over for any other job within the footballing pyramid.

Think we'd need to go for another experienced / named manager in all honesty. Quite a rebuild on next season assuming the bulk of our players leave that are out of contract. Add to that our players under contract include Kightly (31 and injury prone), Hendrie (completely out of favour under the current manager) and Theo (****), there will be a serious amount of changes to the playing squad.

Not that I think he'd come here, but Simon Grayson would be a great appointment. Numerous promotions at this level and from the outside seems pretty liked within the game.

It's a pointless debate (thread) because it could have been added to the many other anti Brown posts, thus allowing the anti Brown men to discuss this and letting the rest of the positive people debate and discuss on other issues.

Browns done pretty well for us and would reach Tilson + status if he could take us up into the Championship. However in terms of future planning and Strategy, I suspect this is more down to the decisions of the Management Group rather than just Brown. I assume this includes Ron, Phil ,possibly Chief Scout and Coughlin occasionally, as well as Phils mate Horton. They must act as a team, I assume otherwise there would be indecisive leadership

For example the acknowledged strategy to 1, move away from loanees this year 2, Have a smaller squad of allegedly better quality, ( which predictably has caused real problems linked to my next point) 3. To take the high risks of bringing in older players, 4. To avoid the lower leagues ,following Peterboroughs acknowledged excellent model, 5 Presumably to show little interest in signings from abroad.

I didnt like this years shift in strategy very much. If change is needed we would need to also look at all the incumbents below Ron presumably and the way in which they function? Of course Mr Martin himself may be an issue????

I liked this year's strategy of moving away from loanees and having quality instead of quantity. For it to be executed properly a greater role needs to be given to youngsters. The balance of the squad is all wrong. Six of the starting XI from Saturday are over 30 and a 7th turns 30 in two weeks' time. Yeovil used 8 players younger than any of the 14 players we used and it's no surprise to hear that they looked livelier. Meanwhile Dru Yearwood has sat on the bench 12 times this season (13 if you count the FA Cup). He's come on once. And even that was an enforced change.

It's a pointless debate (thread) because it could have been added to the many other anti Brown posts, thus allowing the anti Brown men to discuss this and letting the rest of the positive people debate and discuss on other issues.

Don't read it then and stop hijacking this thread with your moaning.

Ideally we'd look to capitalise on the thriving youth development programme and related links to Premier League clubs we've established, securing a proper, bonafide link from the U18s to the U23s and into the senior side. We should be considering appointing a Director of Football with a longer-term vision, and a head coach who can lead the team on day-to-day issues but is not entrusted with the bulk of hiring/contract negotiations/etc.

It'd be risky initially, but potentially worth it.

I'd say Martin's unlikely to be able to resist a big name though, in which case I don't reckon we could go far wrong with Nigel Adkins.

Just a prediction.
Our next manager will either get us relegated or will be sacked when we are almost relegated
We are long overdue a crap managerial appointment , its been a good few years since Mr Wignall .

I think a relegation is coming because whoever inherits this is inheriting a mess.

As I said above, our youngest player in Saturday's XI under contract for next season is 32.

Combine the need for a major rebuild with the tightening of finances due to a lack of a cup run (4 straight years out of both FA Cup and League Cup at the first round) and no transfer income and it will be an achievement to keep us up next year.

How is it Anti-Brown? His contract is up in 6 months and it's a discussion on who would replace him. Simple

You obviously don't like the truth YORKSHIRE, deleted a post (why) because I criticised you? Grow up.

Back