• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our record oop north

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
I just put this in the Oldham PMT, but thought it's actually quite eye opening.

What do you think are the reasons for this poor record?

What can be done to rectify?

Since we dropped into the NL, so far...

27 matches north of the Watford Gap (roughly)

6 Wins.
6 Draws.
15 Losses.

24 points from 81 on offer.
Win % = 22.

GF = 24
GA = 50

0.89 goals scored per game.
1.85 goals conceded per game.

Fair to say, If we are going to challenge at the right end of the table, that needs to improve massively. We seem to suffer nosebleeds and travel sickness north of the M25 really. Although obviously we must take into account the situation the players have been in since we dropped into the NL. Fingers crossed a trouble free pre-season, no financial difficulties and proper travel/accommodation/pre-match prep will help to alleviate at least some of these difficulties we have with long trips...

Gives a whole new meaning to the term its grim up north based on those statistics
Hopefully (?) we're be back in League 2 the season after next, but currently there are only 5 or 6 teams in that div that are Southern based compared to somewhat more in our div.
So if we achieve our goal, def going to be a lot more long journeys coming our way?.

Really depends on how that compares with all other away games.

If we only have a 22% win percentage on all away games then its nothing to do with travelling north.
Our overall away record in the National League is 19 wins, 16 draws and 27 defeats, so the win percentage is 30.65%. We've taken 73 points from a possible 186 (39.25% of available points, compared to 29.63% in @Smiffy's northern grouping).

I think it’s just as much a reflection of the quality of the Northern sides we’ve faced since coming down, rather than just a case of us struggling up there.

6 of those defeats were to Chesterfield, Wrexham, and Notts County who were effectively top half League 2 quality teams.

I think it’s just as much a reflection of the quality of the Northern sides we’ve faced since coming down, rather than just a case of us struggling up there.

6 of those defeats were to Chesterfield, Wrexham, and Notts County who were effectively top half League 2 quality teams.

Are any of those three teams really Northern? They sound East Midlands and Wales to me.

Our overall away record in the National League is 19 wins, 16 draws and 27 defeats, so the win percentage is 30.65%. We've taken 73 points from a possible 186 (39.25% of available points, compared to 29.63% in @Smiffy's northern grouping).
Thanks mate.

A reasonable contrast then and a clear drop off in points hauls when we visit teams north of the Watford gap.

Probably worth an extra two or three wins a season if we can bring it more inline with our away record south of the Watford gap.

Although as mentioned above, the northern group has included the likes of Wrexham, Notts, Chesterfield and Stockport. The strongest teams seen in the NL over the last 3 seasons. Possibly ever!

The players need to be staying overnight before the game. or be really flash and fly in from Southend airport. Travelling that far on the day of the game is no use.

I know last season away game at Halifax the players left southend about 4 in the morning to travel up by coach. No way to prepare. Hopefully under new regime things will be more player friendly

I was speaking with the Braintree Town manager a few months ago and he said overnight stays make a big difference with away game preparation. Most leagues require teams to arrive at the ground well in advance of kick off time, if you have to do a long distance journey on the day of a game you have to set out very early in case of delays…sitting on a coach for several hours after a lack of sleep is far from ideal, especially if you are playing at a team higher up the table.

The dilemma of course though for clubs at our level or below is the cost of staying the night before which may outweigh the risk of a potential drop in performance.

I know last season away game at Halifax the players left southend about 4 in the morning to travel up by coach. No way to prepare. Hopefully under new regime things will be more player friendly
Blimey, it was a Tuesday evening last season. That’s giving plenty of time a whole new meaning

Sitting on a coach or train for 4/5 hours is no way to prepare for any game on the same day ..
I get it at this level, but if we want to win or draw oop north its an overnighter

Sitting on a coach or train for 4/5 hours is no way to prepare for any game on the same day ..
I get it at this level, but if we want to win or draw oop north its an overnighter
Wrexham did it

Albeit they had money to burn, but there is a reason why bigger clubs stay the night in the EFL

Back