• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our second goal on saturday

Beefy

Life President
I've been thinking about this tonight. How good was that goal? I think everyone in the ground, including the Hartlepool team, thought that we were going to be shooting from that position. Clearly that was a move from the training ground and it's won us two points today so congrats to Charlie Mulgrew, Nicky Bailey, Mark Gower, Steve Tilson, Paul Brush and anyone else involved in it. Great work.

We saw Macca pacing backwards and assumed he was going to blast it! It was well worked and I was pleased Mulgrew had a hand in it as he seems to have made a poor impression on some on here.

We saw Macca pacing backwards and assumed he was going to blast it! It was well worked and I was pleased Mulgrew had a hand in it as he seems to have made a poor impression on some on here.

I dont know why, I personally like the look of Mulgrew, it's nice to see a defender put his foot on the ball and look for the simple pass, rather than launching it.

And yes a great freekick!

funny thing was, my old man pointed out how many pool players were in the wall for the freekick...all of them bar the keeper! hence no-one picking up nicky.

even if it was training ground or not, it was definitely well-spotted by mulgrew and bailey. have to say, two top goals for totally different reasons.

and it gave me a reason to glare at the fella behind me who, when the freekick was given, said 'shut your window in the flats!!!'

I was in the East Greens and couldn't believe the Hartlepool defending. They had all 9 men in the wall and Bailey was standing, unmarked, 6 yards out for what must of been a minute waiting for the free kick to be taken.

It was clever, but it was an obvious free kick considering that they decided they required all 9 men in front of the keeper and didnt mark any1 either side of the wall.

Very clever free kick, but no-one on here has picked up that another blues player had approached on the opposite side of the wall as well. Good goal though from Bailey, Supurb Goal from Macca as well!!!

We were sitting the other side and were screaming for him to give it to Francis who was unmarked too. Very bad defending. i think the sending off must have badly distracted them.

Last edited:
I said at the time it was one straight off the training pitch. However I'm not sure Mulgrew as he was with the Scotland U21 has had much if any time on the training pitch. Good vision from him and good lurking with intent from Bailey. I'm looking forward to seeing it on TV (and the elbow on Barnard beforehand)

I said at the time it was one straight off the training pitch.

Not sure it was myself. More encouragingly the players must have concocted it in the moment. How can you imagine a situation in training where the opposition will have every outfield player in the wall thereby leaving every member of our team unmarked!

and it gave me a reason to glare at the fella behind me who, when the freekick was given, said 'shut your window in the flats!!!'

To be fair to that bloke, on the law of averages over the years we were far more likely to put it over the stand and into the flats than score a goal.

Fantastically worked goal though - in all my 27 years of supporting Southend I don't recall one of those trick free kicks ever coming off. My reaction when it went in was a stunned 'Blimey, it worked!'

Last edited:
Fantasically worked goal though - in all my 27 years of supporting Southend I don't recall one of those trick free kicks ever coming off. My reaction when it went in was a stunned 'Blimey, it worked!'

totally with you on that one. i was waiting for the ball to move...and nothing or no-one else!!!

and i have to say as well, when alan mac started walking backwards away from the ball, i thought 'lamp it macca!'. when he FINALLY stopped in the centre circle, i thought 'boy am i glad i'm not in that wall!'.

i miss those days when training ground freekick routines fall flat on their faces :D :D :D

Did they really need that many in the wall tho....the keeper may aswell have joined them....:p

It was a well worked free kick tho with an excellent result obviously.

Having seen it again I doubt it was one from the training ground. As has been said, you can't plan for a team putting EVERY player in the wall. Still a very well worked goal though.

Think it was a clever bit of thinking on our part, my mate Steve pointed out that every 'pool player was in the wall prior to the kick being taken but with Macca shaping for the blast I think the 'pool players just chose to ignore Nicky.

I was screaming for the ball to be played to Bailey because he was unmarked the whole time, so I'm claiming the assist on that one.

I've been thinking about this tonight. How good was that goal? I think everyone in the ground, including the Hartlepool team, thought that we were going to be shooting from that position. Clearly that was a move from the training ground and it's won us two points today so congrats to Charlie Mulgrew, Nicky Bailey, Mark Gower, Steve Tilson, Paul Brush and anyone else involved in it. Great work.
Maybe it was a move from the training ground, but it could well be spur of the moment. It wasn't that clever really, all he did was notice that they had a 9 man wall and pass it. He may even have heard my shout of 'pass it!' from the south upper 2nd row, so I'm claiming these two points :angel:

Just seen this :o

Having seen it again I doubt it was one from the training ground. As has been said, you can't plan for a team putting EVERY player in the wall. Still a very well worked goal though.
Yeah thats more what I thought in the first place :)

Bailey seemed the most suprised by it all. Nice scuff in the corner. If he hit it properly, the keeper might have saved it ...

Back