• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our squad

I don't think we talk about our squad enough. Not only the ability or the fight or whatever that we have, but the balance. We just seem to have such an imbalanced squad, only one senior winger, one left back, things like that. The only formation I can see suiting this squad is 352 because we have enough centre backs, a wing back on either side, central midfielders and strikers

Its a average league two squad at best. I said this after the first few games. There is not one single player in this squad that would get into any first eleven in the championship !!!! This league is all about having a few experienced players that have been at that level before and a few younger players that have the potential to be there and then a few that are at their prime and playing below the level they are at and pushing for a higher money move !!! We have nothing ! People may argue that we have a few that could play championship but I don’t think they can. This squad is tired and mentally drained. It’s full of clowns.

I take your points, but that's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying this squad was really badly put together. we can't play 442 but we can't not play 442

Its a average league two squad at best. I said this after the first few games. There is not one single player in this squad that would get into any first eleven in the championship !!!! This league is all about having a few experienced players that have been at that level before and a few younger players that have the potential to be there and then a few that are at their prime and playing below the level they are at and pushing for a higher money move !!! We have nothing ! People may argue that we have a few that could play championship but I don’t think they can. This squad is tired and mentally drained. It’s full of clowns.
Clowns make people laugh, I didn't see much laughter yesterday, unless you include Wordsworth falling flat on his arse trying an athletic bit of ball control. I laughed at that.

Clowns make people laugh, I didn't see much laughter yesterday, unless you include Wordsworth falling flat on his arse trying an athletic bit of ball control. I laughed at that.
Not laughing at our recruitment strategy either as, to the original poster’s point, It has been Penny Wise, pound foolish at best.

Is Harry Kypriano a full back?
Ridgewell MAY be a good player when/if he gets fit; he could be a centre back solution & righting him off after an unfit, thrown in at the deep end hour, is unrealistic imo.
On paper, our squad ought to be doing okay but it is so lacking in morale, confidence, guidance and leadership on and off the field.
Lots of the Zone slaughtered and slandered Anton BUT he would have been a rock in this defense,
Wordsworth called it right, largely, when he said we lacked character.

Is Harry Kypriano a full back?
Ridgewell MAY be a good player when/if he gets fit; he could be a centre back solution & righting him off after an unfit, thrown in at the deep end hour, is unrealistic imo.
On paper, our squad ought to be doing okay but it is so lacking in morale, confidence, guidance and leadership on and off the field.
Lots of the Zone slaughtered and slandered Anton BUT he would have been a rock in this defense,
Wordsworth called it right, largely, when he said we lacked character.
Just don't get this "on paper our squad ought to be doing okay" mantra.
Where exactly is the evidence? Precisely which three sides in league 1 are we so sure have inferior squads to us ?
Having been to 9 of our 12 league games thus far (admittedly I missed MK Dons), I have seen 8 deserved defeats and one battling scrambled draw.
So who are these inferior three sides?

Just don't get this "on paper our squad ought to be doing okay" mantra.
Where exactly is the evidence? Precisely which three sides in league 1 are we so sure have inferior squads to us ?
Having been to 9 of our 12 league games thus far (admittedly I missed MK Dons), I have seen 8 deserved defeats and one battling scrambled draw.
So who are these inferior three sides?
We have two international team captains, we have forwards that are the stuff of dreams compared to past years, we have experienced defenders, a POTY and England U21 GK, unfortunately when put together,in a metaphor dish/meal it would be steak with chocolate caramel ice cream and sweat and sour brussels.

Terrible side.. no contracts which are expiring deserved to get renewed other than Elvis. Release the lot

for me I think the standard on L1 has moved on and the ability within our squad just isn't good enough at this level anymore. Yes we have decent players but everyone in this league does. Even our top players like Cox are at best average at this level

Its a average league two squad at best. I said this after the first few games. There is not one single player in this squad that would get into any first eleven in the championship !!!! .

IMO we only have 5-6 players, who would be selected for the Division we are currently in?.

I know we've got injuries, but playing Cox up front on his own and a striker out wide ain't likely to work. The problem is that, even without injuries, we don't have the players to play the system we're trying to

We lack pace, we lack strength and we lack height.

We lack the ability to run with the ball and have no one with quick feet or moves in the opposition penalty box or can control a football game.

Apart from that we're fine.

Back