• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OlvisIII

Coach
Just had a moment to think about our squad.

Gk: Smith Oxley

Df: Coker innis Thompson white ferdinand demetriou O'Neil

Mf: mcloughlin Atkinson bridge timlin Amos Leonard wordsworth mcglashan hines

Att: fortune Cox nouble Robinson mooney and possibly ranger.

I can't remember having a squad with such depth in a long while. There is genuinely strength in depth. I haven't really thought about it and hoped for action today...but actually we are in really good shape. Robinson is different from what we have.

Scunthorpe and Bolton at home then the rest is below us in the table. Things are looking really bright.

I make it 2 GK, 2 LB, 2 RB, 4 CB, 5 CM, 3 W, 5/6 ST

Nice. Nouble can play wing as well.

An extremely strong squad.
A shame it is February and we are not quite on course for a 1 in 4 chance of play off promotion.
This squad from an August kick off? Wow.

Strength in depth, when we had the Tilson seasons we have a good 11, but rarely a strong bench which was half the problem! I still think we may be 1/2 short in terms of quality to go up this season, but I will happily be proven wrong!

Yes, wage bill must be past its limit..

We've earned quite a bit of money from Bentley and Payne and were intending to pay £100000 for Simpson earlier on the season which didn't get spent elsewhere. Whilst paying debts is still a priority I think we've got more money than usual so can afford a slightly higher wage budget.

Strength in depth, when we had the Tilson seasons we have a good 11, but rarely a strong bench which was half the problem! I still think we may be 1/2 short in terms of quality to go up this season, but I will happily be proven wrong!

You do know Tilson bashing is not allowed on this site!

Even though brush was the mastermind

PB once again making sure his squad is huge for the second half of the season. May be early days but I'm not sure Nouble or Hines improve the squad at all, and we went wrong last season with a load of additions who didn't improve the squad.

Injuries mean that it is necessary, but I'm not sure why striker was a priority yesterday. If Ferdinand picked up an injury, Inniss is only just back training and Barrett is exiled, that only leaves us with Thompson and out of position White in central defence.

We we have a very strong squad currently, but beyond our strongest 11 I'm not convinced there is a huge amount of quality as we've seen since McLaughlin has been injured. Time will tell.

You do know Tilson bashing is not allowed on this site!

Even though brush was the mastermind

He isnt bashing him, he is pointing out we got to the Championship with a weaker squad.

Shame Brush the mastermind got Lincoln relegated.

PB once again making sure his squad is huge for the second half of the season. May be early days but I'm not sure Nouble or Hines improve the squad at all, and we went wrong last season with a load of additions who didn't improve the squad.

Injuries mean that it is necessary, but I'm not sure why striker was a priority yesterday. If Ferdinand picked up an injury, Inniss is only just back training and Barrett is exiled, that only leaves us with Thompson and out of position White in central defence.

We we have a very strong squad currently, but beyond our strongest 11 I'm not convinced there is a huge amount of quality as we've seen since McLaughlin has been injured. Time will tell.

I think our midfield has been lacking, it was only when Wordsworth came back it started to work, but with McLaughlin out I would think it would be pretty poor if Wordsworth went out again.

Can certainly see why we had to bring in a couple of midfielders/wide players.

Whilst Im not blown away by Robinson he does offer pace which is something our main strikers dont offer, plus with Ranger likely to be gone thats one down anyway.

Att: Fortune Cox Nouble Robinson Mooney and possibly Ranger.

It appears we have SIX forwards, whereas in reality we have just THREE now Theo has signed.
Nouble is clearly not doing it, Mooney is still some way off and I doubt we'll see Ranger in a Blues shirt again.
For me, signing another goalscoring forward was important.

More to do with long term injuries to Lenny, Coker, Hunt, Wordsworth, McL, Weston etc. Once we had no chance of the Play-offs we gave the much called for 'chance', to the likes of Ted and Bridge instead of Bentley and Payne.

The whinging on here all summer proves exactly why young players at every club aren't given games even at the end of the season, when the difference between 10th and 14th makes no difference in L1.

Managers would love to be able to give them game time but 'modern' fan, by that I don't just mean younger fans, won't allow it.

It appears we have SIX forwards, whereas in reality we have just THREE now Theo has signed.
Nouble is clearly not doing it, Mooney is still some way off and I doubt we'll see Ranger in a Blues shirt again.

Hardly been spoilt with 15 minutes away at Fleetwood so far.

More to do with long term injuries to Lenny, Coker, Hunt, Wordsworth, McL, Weston etc. Once we had no chance of the Play-offs we gave the much called for 'chance', to the likes of Ted and Bridge instead of Bentley and Payne.

The whinging on here all summer proves exactly why young players at every club aren't given games even at the end of the season, when the difference between 10th and 14th makes no difference in L1.

Managers would love to be able to give them game time but 'modern' fan, by that I don't just mean younger fans, won't allow it.
Agree with you, didn't mean to imply that they were the cause of our collapse last season but they were a factor when the injuries hit in. This season we seem to have had our bad luck with injuries used up in the first few months (touch wood).

No no problem with giving the likes of Bridge, Matsuzaka, Kyprianou, etc game time, but seems a bit pointless to be giving minutes to the likes of Kamara and McQueen who we clearly weren't interested in retaining after the end of the season.

Nouble has played 15 minutes at the end of a game where the opposition were on top. I think we owe him a little more time than that before completely writing him off.

The season Tilly took us up, I agree that we had a paper thin squad and got very lucky in terms of injuries and suspensions. A lot has been made of Leicester City last year, but that is exactly what happened to us. It was a dream season where everything came together, we rode our luck, played great football and had a collective spirit on and off the pitch. It was our own miracle looking back. The reality of the average promotion is the depth of a squad and how you can replace players with others that stand up to the challenge. I agree that there are key players that would leave a hole, but for a lot of positions there is challenge and variety which is a massive positive. I have left some transfer windows praying we don't get three injuries because we could be decimated. This window there is a decent squad standing in a good place with a chance of the playoffs.

Agree with you, didn't mean to imply that they were the cause of our collapse last season but they were a factor when the injuries hit in. This season we seem to have had our bad luck with injuries used up in the first few months (touch wood).

No no problem with giving the likes of Bridge, Matsuzaka, Kyprianou, etc game time, but seems a bit pointless to be giving minutes to the likes of Kamara and McQueen who we clearly weren't interested in retaining after the end of the season.

PB has a policy of not having loan players who have to play, however like all clubs in our position he is under pressure to give a certain amount of game time as we don't want to completely burn bridges with the big boys.

Hendrie was signed for much less than the normal percentage of his wage we would have been expected to pay because we could more or less guarantee he would play. We were more than happy with his performances for us but the club decision was not to have Coker sitting in the stands/benched when he was fit. Unfortunately he never did look fit for the rest of the season and struggled, until his operation in May.

bloody hell, give the guy a chance! remember when Fortune signed? he's turned everyone around, maybe Nouble will too

Nouble can play on the wing as well I believe. Mooney is out until mid-February at least but I don't see him coming back. That leaves Cox, Fortune, Ranger, Robinson as pure strikers. Ranger might not be playing again either so I think Brown has the right number there.

Back