• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our Stan and his gestures

Texas Eslan

Striker
I just wanted to post on here but please shut me down if this has already been done.

Stan Collymore, without a doubt, is dragging our club kicking and screaming into the realms of respectability.

His posts today on Twitter (I’m sure someone cleverer than me can tag it on here) for his visit to one of our own in a hospice in Cambridgeshire is such an amazing gesture and I think should be truly appreciated by all of us. And this isn’t the first time he has done something similar.

This is what a community club looks like. Bravo Stan!

Hey Texas Eslan ( where did you get that name from ! )

On social media my aim is simple, just to amplify everything good our club does at a time when we all know the last 3 years have been tough, especially for staff but also supporters who've wondered whether we'd have a club to support.

30 years ago my sister had terminal cancer, and I was playing for our club. I was 22, didn't want my Mom to face the trauma of seeing her first born dying, alone, and the way the club ( Vic, John Adams, Barry Fry ) treated me with much kindness , support and "go home anytime and see your sister and Mom " never really left me. That's without the support of you guys on a Saturday which helped along my way in my career.

Neil ( who I visited today ) and his two brothers visit Cambridge from Southend every day. They did yesterday before going to Barnet to support our club. That tells me everything I need to know about what our Shrimper family is, has always been and should continue to be, whoever serves it.

I took one of Kacper's shirts, a big hug, a few stories from yesterday and a cuppa with Neil's wonderful family who are going through what my Mom and our family went through 30 years ago.

Neil supported me then, and I'll support him now, that's how families act and we are all reading this as part of a family. A very special and old one at that.

Last night I saw and heard 1500 noisy souls enjoying their team win, a regular feeling now after long hard seasons. Powelly and Bridgy experienced that same noise and passion that I felt at Hillsborough all those years ago. The faces change, but the family stays the same.

Neil may not have long, it's his 50th on Friday and I hope and pray as we all should that he makes it so that his family can smile and laugh a little amongst the pain and anguish.

Our club was built by our supporters, and our supporters as I said this time last year, should be at the centre of everything we do. Unless we can show that, mean that, embrace that and feel that then we can't call ourselves United, or a community club.

Neil is all of us, and someday we all will pass on. But if we help eachother, fight for each other, care for each other, agree to disagree at times yet still find more in common than keeps us apart then we will then live up to our famous club name.

To Neil, Happy Birthday, UP THE BLUES!

Attachments

• 1E0F4086-AD59-4939-97A3-1CE66D0D9531.jpeg
    1E0F4086-AD59-4939-97A3-1CE66D0D9531.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 125
  • AD49F90C-8913-4006-81FC-042FB7E5E0FF.jpeg
    AD49F90C-8913-4006-81FC-042FB7E5E0FF.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 066A235E-8905-4CB4-B7BC-E4F25925E7C4.jpeg
    066A235E-8905-4CB4-B7BC-E4F25925E7C4.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Stan you weren’t here long as a player but as a 16 year old at the time you were my hero. You brought us hope then and you’re doing so again now. I just want to thank you for your passion and love and hard work for our little south Essex club and for all you do to raise our profile. Top man 👏

Thanks for posting on here Stan and giving this post more context.

Personally I believe these are the things that make small (I hesitate to use that word on SZ) clubs so important and why I referred to the ‘community’ club. It can reach out and affect the lives of fans in a way the big clubs can’t. Small but mighty.

It’s ultimately why I am a Southend fan. That link between the club and fans. I felt like it had gone in recent years so seeing things like this are even more important than the footballing side in a way and makes me proud to be associated with.

Stan, my daughter was born in February 1993 when you were doing your stuff for us, she was actually born just after you beat Millwall and Huddersfield single handedly. Sadly she died of brain cancer herself in 2008, aged just 15, so I know how awful this disease is. Keep doing what you’re doing. Utbs!

Top class stan once again you made us all smile seeing this on it own let alone seeing this guy . Which will be one of the best memories of he’s life I’m sure . Thankyou for your top work as always it really is much appreciated by us all .

I remember a few years back when I was in hospital a few years back for 6 weeks an one or our former shrimpers made my day by taking time out to visit me and I’m forever greatful for it and I’m sure this guy and he’s family is too for what you done today 🦐

Southend supporters are great. Don’t let those who love to stereotype Essex people undermine you.

I just wanted to post on here but please shut me down if this has already been done.

Stan Collymore, without a doubt, is dragging our club kicking and screaming into the realms of respectability.

His posts today on Twitter (I’m sure someone cleverer than me can tag it on here) for his visit to one of our own in a hospice in Cambridgeshire is such an amazing gesture and I think should be truly appreciated by all of us. And this isn’t the first time he has done something similar.

Couldn’t agree more

Well said

Back