• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Under PB we have played good, smooth football which is nice to watch. We get the ball wide and, yesterday in particular, put some good crosses in.

The trouble is that we haven't got the aerial strength up top to take advantage of that.

We need a bit of a change in my opinion.

Subject to fitness, I would play 4-4-2 with a midfield of Worrall and Hurst as the wide players, Deegan and Leonard in the middle with Corr and Barnard up top. Corr can win the ball, Barney can play off him, which is what his game is all about. He has been a fantastic finisher and knows where the goal is; he just needs to be given the chances.

This leaves Payne, Weston or Coulthirst to come off the bench as impact players against tiring legs.

Thoughts?

Under PB we have played good, smooth football which is nice to watch. We get the ball wide and, yesterday in particular, put some good crosses in.

The trouble is that we haven't got the aerial strength up top to take advantage of that.

Subject to fitness, I would play 4-4-2 with a midfield of Worrall and Hurst as the wide players, Deegan and Leonard in the middle with Corr and Barnard up top. Corr can win the ball, Barney can play off him, which is what his game is all about. He has been a fantastic finisher and knows where the goal is; he just needs to be given the chances.

This leaves Payne, Weston or Coulthirst to come off the bench as impact players against tiring legs.

Thoughts?

Agreed, wont happen though.

Thoughts?

We miss Corr up front, other than that no reason to start making drastic changes because we lost one game.

A midfield of Deegan and Leonard has not attacking threat whatsoever, Barnard and Corr doesnt scream goals.

Whilst Payne hasnt really lived up to his first couple of games I still want him in the side as he at least shows some attacking flair, and he wont be any use in a 442.

442 is becoming a thing of the past, I personally was a big fan of it and fought against changing when Sturrock used 451 but I actually think using one out and out striker is the right tactic for now .

We miss Corr up front, other than that no reason to start making drastic changes because we lost one game.

It's a question of how to get the best out of the strikers though. I don't think our system suits either Corr or Barnard as the lone striker. Hence 4-4-2.

Then, you need the wide players, hence Hurst and Worrall who are great crossers of the ball, plus Hurst will chip in with a few goals too.

All that's left is centre mid with about 8 choices for two positions. Perm any two from Leonard, Deegan, Payne, Clifford, Atkinson, Timlin, probably someone else I've forgotten...

It's a question of how to get the best out of the strikers though. I don't think our system suits either Corr or Barnard as the lone striker. Hence 4-4-2.

Then, you need the wide players, hence Hurst and Worrall who are great crossers of the ball, plus Hurst will chip in with a few goals too.

All that's left is centre mid with about 8 choices for two positions. Perm any two from Leonard, Deegan, Payne, Clifford, Atkinson, Timlin, probably someone else I've forgotten...

Our system would not even suit Ronaldo !

If we went 442 we would concede more but I still believe we will score more than the opposition.

Many of you think I come on here ONLY when we lose yet the simple truth is these bad results are an insult to the paying fan and whilst I understand these games happen yet we seem to experience more bad games than even average ones.

The system we play just doesn't work. It is so, so frustrating to watch, and although we do stroke the ball about nicely, there just isn't enough intelligent movement ahead of the player in possession of the ball so the tempo isn't quick enough and the ball just goes sideways or backwards.

It's not even the lack of aerial threat which is the problem to me. It's the fact that it's like Teflon. The ball goes up front and just doesn't stick in the final third. Whoever plays up front is fighting a losing battle because if he fails to win or to hold onto the ball, there is nobody there following in or sticking alongside him to win the second ball. Brown calls it a 4-3-3 but it's not, because the 2nd and 3rd "strikers" that he seems to think he is playing are nowhere near the central striker and it looks unbalanced because Coulthirst occasionally comes inside but Hurst mostly sticks out wide. Payne might be able to partially fill the gap left by having no second striker by getting further forward and playing off the second striker, but he isn't doing that and looks too deep to me. It just doesn't work.

I would also switch back to 4-4-2 and go with Barnard and Corr up front with Worrall and Hurst on the wings swinging crosses in. Payne will have to be an impact player for now because Brown is trying to shoehorn him in to the detriment of our system. Maybe he could operate at the top of a wide midfield diamond.

A midfield of Deegan and Leonard has not attacking threat whatsoever, Barnard and Corr doesnt scream goals.

Whilst Payne hasnt really lived up to his first couple of games I still want him in the side as he at least shows some attacking flair, and he wont be any use in a 442.

442 is becoming a thing of the past, I personally was a big fan of it and fought against changing when Sturrock used 451 but I actually think using one out and out striker is the right tactic for now .

We do miss him but he still doesn't work well up front alone. As FBM said, it is about trying to get the best out of our strikers, and Brown's system suits none of them.

We do miss him but he still doesn't work well up front alone. As FBM said, it is about trying to get the best out of our strikers, and Brown's system suits none of them.

He isnt meant to be up front on his own he is meant to have one of the two other attacking players, or Payne just behind him.

Look at yesterday, who had the best chances to score? Coulthirst. He wasnt playing as the out and out striker yet was still getting in those positions. Im sure he would benefit far more with Corr being the one leading the line.

It's not even the lack of aerial threat which is the problem to me. It's the fact that it's like Teflon. The ball goes up front and just doesn't stick in the final third.

Which is what Corr adds. He does win the ball and hold it up and with Payne and Coulthirst he has two players to play off of him, Im not sure Hurst does it anywhere near enough.

Subject to fitness, I would play 4-4-2 with a midfield of Worrall and Hurst as the wide players, Deegan and Leonard in the middle with Corr and Barnard up top. Corr can win the ball, Barney can play off him, which is what his game is all about.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that Barnard is very much yesterday's man. I can see nothing in his game to suggest that he is the answer, whatever the formation is. I think the Barnard comeback has proved even less effective than the Eastwood comeback.

If we went 442 we would concede more but I still believe we will score more than the opposition.

Many of you think I come on here ONLY when we lose yet the simple truth is these bad results are an insult to the paying fan and whilst I understand these games happen yet we seem to experience more bad games than even average ones.

Really? That's a bit harsh... we've just won 4 on the trot, are 4th in the table and have been in the play offs in the last two years.

Definitely more positives than negatives. But, if you look for a negative, you will find one, even in the best scenarios.

He isnt meant to be up front on his own he is meant to have one of the two other attacking players, or Payne just behind him.

Look at yesterday, who had the best chances to score? Coulthirst. He wasnt playing as the out and out striker yet was still getting in those positions. Im sure he would benefit far more with Corr being the one leading the line.

Which is what Corr adds. He does win the ball and hold it up and with Payne and Coulthirst he has two players to play off of him, Im not sure Hurst does it anywhere near enough.

We'll just have to agree to disagree there, Corr doesn't win nearly as much as he should up there and I thought Barnard made more of an effort to win aerial balls yesterday than Corr does. Coulthirst doesn't play close enough to the central striker to play off him effectively. That's why we need 2 strikers who are playing as strikers and strikers only, rather than one striker and a couple of wingers who may or may not (and usually don't) come far enough inside to play close to and off of that main striker.

Complete nonsense as usual....browns system has seen us narrowly miss out in the play offs and currently three points off top spot........

Complete nonsense as usual....browns system has seen us narrowly miss out in the play offs and currently three points off top spot........

No it's an opinion which clearly you think is nonsense but nonetheless it's still my opinion.

The primary point of the 2 holding midfielders is to defend and not to attack. Also Leonard has no attacking threat whatsoever? Can't agree with that.

Would like to see Deegan and Leonard as a partnership in the middle, with Payne just ahead, Corr upfront and two wingers (probably Worrall and Shaq). Think that could work well, when we have everyone fit.

The primary point of the 2 holding midfielders is to defend and not to attack. Also Leonard has no attacking threat whatsoever? Can't agree with that.

Would like to see Deegan and Leonard as a partnership in the middle, with Payne just ahead, Corr upfront and two wingers (probably Worrall and Shaq). Think that could work well, when we have everyone fit.
Re-reading it the OP would want Leonard and Deegan in a 4-4-2 which I do agree with Jam that wouldn't really work.

Back