• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

snapper1

Schoolboy
Usually around this time of the Season we plummet into a downard spiral.Is it Phil Brown or is it just co-incidence ?

I think the fact we have a more settled squad for the first time in years and players willing to play for each other and the manager has a lot to do with it. Plus the team spirit at the mment is immense and everybody wants to be a part of it

We certainly seem to have better fitness levels this season, probably a massive help in the busy schedule.

For all PB's detractors, he is certainly a forward thinking coach who has probably got the squad in better shape than they have been for a number of years. Hence, the annual new year slump we seem to suffer hasn't happened - a bit of depth to the squad in midfield helps too, with a couple of changes due this Friday which won't essentially damage the team too much.

Fair play to PB. And the rest of the backroom staff...

Under PS a lot of the players were on loan, and went home to their parent clubs when the loan deal ran out. That left us rather short at a time when we needed more players rather than less.

Fitness is certainly a key factor and for that PB must take credit.Also Dave Penny,too. Not sure how many loans we currently have-From memory,Woodrow(Fulham) and Steven Gerrard (Wigan) have gone back,Luke O'Neil is still with us.
Have great hopes for the remainder of the Season and we can now focus totally on the League-hopefully the pitch will stand up to the Elements !

Fitness is certainly a key factor and for that PB must take credit.Also Dave Penny,too. Not sure how many loans we currently have-From memory,Woodrow(Fulham) and Steven Gerrard (Wigan) have gone back,Luke O'Neil is still with us.
Have great hopes for the remainder of the Season and we can now focus totally on the League-hopefully the pitch will stand up to the Elements !

We had Steven Gerrard from Wigan! :stunned:

HANG ON! I'd question the validity of your proposition about a USUAL Christmas/ New Year slump. OK, I'm only going back three years.......perhaps trends would be different if one went back further? Anyway, taking our recent record of league games in December/January, I found the following (I have in two cases added a game right at the start of February):-

2010/11 W6 D1 L3 10games 19 points I'd settle for that this year!
2011/12 W3 D1 L4 8games 10 points OK, not brilliant
2012/13 W4 D2 L3 9 games 14 points not that bad!
2013/14 W3 D4 L1 8 games 13 points ????

So, lose on Friday and we've actually done worse than last year! Looking at it like that, it makes Friday look quite important :unsure:............................which of course, it is! :smile: Amazing what you can do with stats!

HANG ON! I'd question the validity of your proposition about a USUAL Christmas/ New Year slump. OK, I'm only going back three years.......perhaps trends would be different if one went back further? Anyway, taking our recent record of league games in December/January, I found the following (I have in two cases added a game right at the start of February):-

So, lose on Friday and we've actually done worse than last year! Looking at it like that, it makes Friday look quite important :unsure:............................which of course, it is! :smile: Amazing what you can do with stats!

Thats it, go on, spoil the feel good factor. Next you'll be telling us Ron lied about the stadium being built in the spring..:whistling:

I take your point :-). Perhaps the Christmas/New Year slump should be 'in comparison' to our previous few months League form ? Getting a bit technical now !

Non stop rain all day in Basildon today :-(. Just had to broom the driveway again.

Under PS a lot of the players were on loan, and went home to their parent clubs when the loan deal ran out. That left us rather short at a time when we needed more players rather than less.

Indeed, we looked average before Tam etc were brought in, and when they left they werent replaced quickly enough and we nose dived.

Back