• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our weather at the moment.

Tell me about it!. My son has sold his house in Shoebury to a couple from Devon. He has a place lined up in Chalkwell, but last few weeks although contracts being drawn up, no other news from Estate Agent.
Then out of the blue on Weds, my sons told unless his buyer can move in by next Fri, he will pull out of the deal FFS!.
So we've got a week to empty the loft ( done today, oh what fun in this heat! ), 3 bedrooms, lounge & dining room, 3 outside sheds, bathroom & kitchen, arrange removals & collection of unwanted furniture etc!.
I suggested calling the guys bluff & asking for more time, but my son doesn't want to take the risk.
OBL is this a common occurrence?.

That's just people bullying - you get that in all walks of life. We work on whether something is fair and reasonable and advise accordingly. That's not fair or reasonable - unless his agents and conveyancing solicitors have been poor in their attention to the sale! At that stage, it's more down to the legals, and the estate agents are in the middle......sounds poor, though.
I bet some estate agents are on retainers from property developers as well.

Undoubtedly. Not us though. We don't tie in to the big developers.

Played golf yesterday and although I had my best round in about 5 years, I gave myself heat stroke. Had the worst nights sleep ever, my head felt like it was burning off and I hardly slept a wink.

Of course I learnt my lesson and didn't spend half of today in the garden breaking out concrete with a Kango ???

Just a week to go and a can get away to Corfu where there are pools I can get in to keep cool

Last edited:
Undoubtedly. Not us though. We don't tie in to the big developers.

I meant small local developers. Kickbacks for first dibs on those bungalows on large plots that become vacant when an OAP dies that end up with three detached houses being built...

I meant small local developers. Kickbacks for first dibs on those bungalows on large plots that become vacant when an OAP dies that end up with three detached houses being built...

It happens all the time, there are many old properties I know of that never reach the market. In some cases even the estate agent type developer buys them for his own firm..It makes you wonder how they value them if they have their own eyes on them.

It happens all the time, there are many old properties I know of that never reach the market. In some cases even the estate agent type developer buys them for his own firm..It makes you wonder how they value them if they have their own eyes on them.

Right, am with you and Cyril now, I know it's off topic, but you'd usually be contacted by the solicitors acting for the Estate and asked to value. Normally the solicitors asking for Probate are ones you deal with for conveyancing and you have a lot of two way traffic with as a result.

If the solicitors are also the Executors then they will normally be quite happy to get the property sold as quick as possible and if it's a plot and can be developed, then Probate will go through at the same time as planning applications and it can be sold to developers on that basis. If planning fails then the builders buying are usually able to withdraw quite easily.

It's more complicated if there are family members as Executors, or charities are beneficiaries (we've just had one where 19 charities had to agree to accept an offer!!!) but that's kind of how we do it. Of course, those builders do get those plots on the understanding that the agent will get re-sale.

Can also happen obviously, if someone is able to sell off a parcel of land alongside or behind their own house - we did exactly that with three bungalows down Hall Farm Road 6 years ago.

Get up,
Have shower
Have breakfast
Dig hole for new rotary airer
Hit concrete 9 inches down
Get hot
Have shower
Dig round concrete
Get hot
Have shower
Repeat

Back