• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our Worst Bogey Teams

When I lived in Southend, many years ago, we always seemed to get drawn against bloody Watford in the Cup and invariably lost. (apart from on one occasion?)

I believe Watford are our second most played team in our history, after Exeter City. Also think they're the team we've played most in the FA Cup. My son, having grown up with Watford as a upper Championship/Premier League side cannot believe it.

While not our bogey team last night i watched oxford on tv in the play offs...we used to beat them for fun....just two days after watching brentford in the championship play offs...previously they were a similar club to us in size and ambition....watching both games made me a little sick......what a mess we are in!
I guess we should try and take solace in the fact that Oxford were where we are now fairly recently... and look at them now.

Clutching a bit, I know.

As for bogey sides, I'd only look at clubs we've played a significant number of times, at least 30. Interestingly I think we don't really have one. We have some terrible away records - Doncaster, Carlisle, Port Vale, Wrexham, Luton, Scunthorpe's current ground. But overall the records against these teams are pretty even. They all have poor records away to us.

On the flip side, I think we are actually one clubs bogey team - Walsall. We've played them 88 times and lost only 25 times. We have a near 50% win record against them and if you look at club head to heads, not just Southend's - that record over that number of games is an aberration.

I guess we should try and take solace in the fact that Oxford were where we are now fairly recently... and look at them now.

Clutching a bit, I know.

For a number of years now I've thought Ron is the new Kassam. Doing everything possible to get a new stadium, while completely taking his eye off the football side of things and not really being bothered as to where the club falls.
Stadium plans changing to a point where it becomes 3 sided to get it pushed through and revenue streams for the football club removed to get the plans past the council.

Now Kassam of course got that 3 sided lego set built before they slid out of the league. He finally sold them but guess what, he wouldn't sell the ground and takes rent from the club to this day and it's not cheap.
Oxford's success is actually very impressive, they remain hamstrung by Kassam and since the new ownership have come in they have actively sought to move from the stadium and need their ownerships deep pockets to keep the club as a more than competitive league 1 side.

Sadly I can only see a very similar scenario for Southend United if Ron has anything to do with the club and we've got to keep our fingers crossed new owners are as good as Oxford's

Morecambe was my immediate go to, but I discounted them in my head as they've not been a league team for that long.

Your thread and point about Morecambe reminded me of a quote from Ron after our previous relegation to League Two!
RON said:
We won’t be in same league as Morecambe by the time the stadium is finished.
Be careful what you promise Ron! :,-(

Last edited:

Your thread and point about Morecambe reminded me of a quote from Ron after our previous relegation to League Two!

That is such a goldmine for classic Ron bull****.

“This is just a blip and in a few years time people won’t even remember it happened.”

“It makes no difference to the stadium at all and we expect to start work in the summer,” said Martin.

That last one is a true classic. 11 years ago ...

Good recall!

No idea what the stats are but I always dreaded Carlisle away, felt like we went on long run of getting nothing there but it might have felt worse for the journey!

Back