• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Out of contract players

JD

Resident Jinx⭐
With defeat yesterday making me feel like the playoffs have finally slipped away - my mind has been on the squad and particularly those out of contract.

The embargo means that we can’t officially extend any deals (not to say talks haven’t taken place).

Steve, Ralph, Hobbo, JD, Bridge and Murphy are all out of contract this summer.

I’d like to see us keep Steve, Hobbo and Bridge - but just can’t see it happening - in fact I’d be surprised if Hobbo and Bridge haven’t already agreed deals elsewhere. Both are admired elsewhere, with more money being offered and the huge instability surrounding the club, surely they are off this summer right?

FWIW, in reality I can see Ralph, Steve (I’d be very happy with this) and Murphy staying, as we may not be able to get much better quality by the time we are able to trade players again.

Thoughts?

Like you out of the names you’ve mentioned I’d be over the moon if we kept Steve, Hobson and Bridge. The other two I’m not overly fussed about.

Hobbo will be off, I have a feeling Bridge will stay for another year.

Of the others they are too injury prone to offer a deal to, I'm including Steve in that reluctantly

Feel very down today 😞 we are all facing another season in this awful league and the slight glimmer of hope that RM will finally sell up is just that (a slight glimmer).

To add to that we are facing the very real prospect of losing some of our best players and no news of an end in sight on the embargo.

The last 5 games have brought home the reality to me that no matter how big the club is (in relative terms) we are just a very average NL team and there is no end in sight to our suffering caused by our Chairman 🤬

Not sure I would be buying a season ticket even if the prices were frozen, I love my club dearly and not missed a single home game this season and been to several away but I honestly don't know how much more my poor old heart can take of this constant misery 💔

Last edited:
Feel very down today 😞 we are all facing another season in this awful league and the slight glimmer of hope that RM will finally f off is just that (a slight glimmer).

To add to that we are facing the very real prospect of losing some of our best players and no news of an end in sight on the embargo.

The last 5 games have brought home the reality to me that no matter how big the club is (in relative terms) we are just a very average NL team and there is no end in sight to our suffering caused by that pompous, arogant, selfish w@π¥€r 🤬

Not sure I would be buying a season ticket even if the prices were frozen, I love my club dearly and not missed a single home game this season and been to several away but I honestly don't know how much more my poor old heart can take of this constant misery 💔
Thank God Ron didn't get his way ... he wanted to increase the season ticket prices even more!!!

I can see Steve staying.

JD will stay for coaching.

Hobson, I’ll probably cry when he leaves, one of the best servants the club has had in the previous decades. Deserves his chance in higher leagues.

Ralph would be a shame but not vital.

The rest, I don’t really care all that much. We would be a better team without Bridge, maybe GSM would actually get passed the ball once he has gone…

EVERYTHING is surely down to when the club is sold and the plans the new owners will have for the future? This probably applies to the management team as well as the players. If It is seen that Southend United has a positive future and is going places, other than the High Court, people will want to be part of it. Everything is now in abeyance until this is sorted. Let's all pray that the proccess is rapid. I really fear for us if it isn't.

As things stand and with the embargo still in place, our squad looks thin…

GK:

Collin Andeng Ndi - 2024 with club option for 2025

DEF:

Gus Scott-Morriss - 2024 with club option for 2025
Tom Clifford - 2024
Louis Lomas 2024
Ollie Kensdale - ???
Tommy Davis - 2024

MID:

Cav Miley - 2024 with club option for 2025
Harry Taylor - 2024 with club option for 2025
Noor Husin - 2024
Wes Fonguck - 2024 with club option for 2025
Dan Mooney - 2024 with club option for 2025
Jack Wood - 2024 with club option for 2025
Oli Coker - 2024 with club option for 2025

FWD:

Harry Cardwell - 2024
Callum Powell - 2024

UP FOR RENEWAL:

Steve Arnold
Jason Demetriou
Nathan Ralph
Shaun Hobson
Jack Bridge
Jon Benton (club option)
Rhys Murphy (club option)
Chris Wreh (club option)

Players will be leaving of course with the situation we are in, with no sign of getting a settled squad anytime soon I think we are stuck in this league for at least two more seasons, it’ll be massive if we get out of this league in the next couple of seasons.

Players will be leaving of course with the situation we are in, with no sign of getting a settled squad anytime soon I think we are stuck in this league for at least two more seasons, it’ll be massive if we get out of this league in the next couple of seasons.
which also begs the question……. Will Kev and co stick around?

Unless we get a sale of the club sharpish I foresee a summer of rebuilding, with a number of players leaving. Perhaps not just the players either…

Now Ron has said he’s off, I can just see him leaving it to others to sort out the financial mess, get the embargo cleared and RH fit for purpose.

GK:

DEF:

Tom Clifford - 2024
Louis Lomas 2024
Ollie Kensdale - ???
Tommy Davis - 2024

MID:

Noor Husin - 2024

FWD:

Harry Cardwell - 2024
Callum Powell - 2024

UP FOR RENEWAL:

Steve Arnold
Jason Demetriou
Nathan Ralph
Shaun Hobson
Jack Bridge

Jon Benton (club option)
Chris Wreh (club option)
There are a few others highlighted i would rather not have at the club for next season as i do not think they are up to the standard we need,that leaves 7 from the first team squad + 3 youths and keep Sandat. All the renewals apart from Benton can go.

Unless we get a sale of the club sharpish I foresee a summer of rebuilding, with a number of players leaving. Perhaps not just the players either…

Now Ron has said he’s off, I can just see him leaving it to others to sort out the financial mess, get the embargo cleared and RH fit for purpose.
The sale brings uncertainty regarding recruitment. We have the embargo bit but also the management team, if they assume a budget the same as this year, will have those constraints to work with. At the other end, if a new owner came who had the funds to buy club and stadium (say 30-40m) then it’s difficult to believe they wouldn’t say here’s 1m (small sum by comparison) to be split between increased playing budget and a fee or two…

Do your get business done early or wait to see what happens on the ownership front…. maybe I’m too glass half full..

Turnover of players in the NL will always be higher than we are used to than in the FL as contracts aren't as long and expensive. For a number of years whilst we are in this league, we will be gaining / losing 10-15 players per season.

GK:

DEF:

Tom Clifford - 2024
Louis Lomas 2024
Ollie Kensdale - ???
Tommy Davis - 2024

MID:

Noor Husin - 2024

FWD:

Harry Cardwell - 2024
Callum Powell - 2024

UP FOR RENEWAL:

Steve Arnold
Jason Demetriou
Nathan Ralph
Shaun Hobson
Jack Bridge
Jon Benton (club option)
Chris Wreh (club option)
Keep Steve and Benton
Try and keep Ralph, Hobson and Bridge. Suspect they'll leave to LG clubs.
Rebuild the midfield

I think it's important to understand that professional football is one big club. Players know and are friends with players of other clubs. Managers are are friends with other managers and probably played against or with them as team mates. And so on. I'm sure that Ron's announcement is about money. But I'm also fairly confident that someone in the circle has said there are buyers now if you want them. Ron goes to a big player in the corporate world to try and get what he hopes will lead to an auction. What the outcome is, is anyone's guess. What I do know is fans will initially be euphoric, they will then question, they will at some stage become disillusioned and eventually a sizeable number will hate. Why people want to own a club. I don't know.

Whoops sorry wrong thread

Back