• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

hamburgshrimper

Youth Team
For various reasons I'm thinking of coming back for the weekend and watching my first Southend match in what feels like ages (against Bristol Rovers). Just a few questions to ask first:

1) Can you still turn up on the day and get tickets for the blocks in the west stand stand closest the away support?

2) Do you get hassled by the stewards to sit down in those areas?

3) Are the Spread/Blue Boar still open next to the ground, if so, what ales/bitters are on tap.

4) There was talk last season/season before last of reopening part of the North bank. Can home fans go in there?

Your answers would be much appreciated.

Cheers

don't sit in the west stand myself but pretty sure the answers are:

1) yes
2) no
3) only the spread is now open plus the railway & nelson. Spread do London Pride plus a few other beers
4) no

Yes you can buy tickets on the V block and sit in the W block (the blue voice)if you choose.

Stewards dont tend to hassle to often if at all

The pubs are still open but you can get beers at the back of the west

North bank is not open to home fans

Question to you sir. Why have you been away so long? Not a dig by the way.

All fans are always warmly received

I left Essex in 2006 and moved to hamburg, I managed to get back for a couple of matches as season until 2008 but then decided to more-a-less knock it on the head due to becoming a bit disillusioned with the game losing its spirit/honesty, fanculture, going to crappy new stadiums, etc. I actually prefer staying in the pub and having a few good choice ales, instead of paying inflated prices for lower league football.
Despite all that, I want to make the effort to come back, especially before Southend move, the memories of the early 90's on the north bank will never leave me and have provided my formative football experiences. To be honest, I've lost the passion but can't give it up completely, hope we get promoted and play Brentford away next season, I've heared the (Fullers) pub(s) on the corners are great and it's still a really old skool ground with terracing. If we stay put and luton get promoted, I'd be coming back for that, too. It might be a **** hole but give me that any day over a new flat pack.
Hope that answers your question-
:thumbsup:

TBH i felt the same for a while Hamburg .

Football had lost its soul and become a chore and blues were just going through the motions, but this season has been a breath of fresh air. Im really proud to support this team and they work so hard and you can tell that the players really take pride in being part of the club.

I hope like me that you rekindle a dwindling love affair as i nearly walked away

Somehow I think it ain't gonna happen. As I said, I'll always come back for a few matches, mates of mine are Millwall fans so I end up going there every and again, too (not that I'll ever truly belong there) I just think football's lost it. I know it had it's problems in the 80's but then and even until the mid-/late 90's, it still seemed like an honest, working man's game.
When I look at players like tevez, it confirms everything that football stands for now. Saying that, I've booked my flights and might be back in November, :winking:

don't sit in the west stand myself but pretty sure the answers are:

1) yes
2) no
3) only the spread is now open plus the railway & nelson. Spread do London Pride plus a few other beers
4) no

No it doesn't!

It's Courage Best and I think Directors or maybe an IPA these days.

I can recommend the Best as it's lucky. I first chanced upon the lucky qualities of Lucky Best for the Macclesfield game last season when the Spread had run out of Pride. That was the game Mohsni went up front and we scored twice. I thought nothing more of it until a month or so later when the Spread was again out of Pride and I was once more forced onto Best. This time we beat Hereford 4-0. I forgot about it for the next game (apparently a 0-0 against Aldershot), but the following game I made sure I had a pre-match Best and we thumped Bradford 4-0 and then beat Stevenage a couple of days later.

I don't want to claim all the credit for our recent form, but we scored 4 again last weekend after I'd again opted for the Best as my pre-match tipple.

Directors beats best by a country mile. I really miss the pubs in England, you can't get a country more centred around beer than Germany but I can't stand pils. They don't do ales/bitters very well either.

:thumbdown:

Directors beats best by a country mile. I really miss the pubs in England, you can't get a country more centred around beer than Germany but I can't stand pils. They don't do ales/bitters very well either.

:thumbdown:

And Pride beats both Directors and Best, but scoring 4 goals trumps both!

Know what you mean about the pils. It's too gassy for my tastes, but a million miles better than the lagers served in this country.

If you like London Pride, Fullers also do London Porter and ESB, not to forget Honey Dew.
They're all great. I know what you mean about lager in England, it tastes of ****, however with them being so popular it makes the old man's beers all the more special.

Talking of the end of exiles my own here in Colchester happily comes to an end on saturday when I shall be moving to a lovely flat not far from the ground or the aforementioned public houses. Went to my first game since Milwall in League 1 when we played Shrewsbury recently and I will definately be returning for more in the not too distant future. This weekend Southend next weekend Amsterdam. Happy Days!

I used live in Hamburg (Farmsen) in the early 80's. Great city.

I hope you enjoy your re-visit to Roots Hall, a few proper ales and rekindle the love :smile:

Back