• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Which outfield players have had to go in goal? I'm sure there's been one in recent memory. Also I remember when Donovanr Ricketts was sent off (and the racism claims) and Dean Windass went in goal and played pretty well.

I love it when it happens.:smile:

Which outfield players have had to go in goal? I'm sure there's been one in recent memory. Also I remember when Donovanr Ricketts was sent off (and the racism claims) and Dean Windass went in goal and played pretty well.

Tes Bramble against Boston around 2004. Played a blinder as well!

Tes 'The cat' obviously

Tes Bramble against Boston around 2004. Played a blinder as well!

And the next game for which Daryl was suspended, was the Swansea game where a certain ex Wet Spam trainee had his debut. And who was in goal for Swansea that night . Paul Clark who was in goal for Oxford on Monday. I think I got that correct but I'm sure someone will shoot me down if I'm wrong

And the next game for which Daryl was suspended, was the Swansea game where a certain ex Wet Spam trainee had his debut. And who was in goal for Swansea that night . Paul Clark who was in goal for Oxford on Monday. I think I got that correct but I'm sure someone will shoot me down if I'm wrong

Not Paul Clark, but Ryan Clarke. But yeah you're right.

Ryan Clarke was actually in goal for US that day against the Swans, his only appearance for Blues (and I believe we had Terry Alderton on the bench for us that day - although I may be wrong on that one!).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/3739724.stm

I remember us playing Luton on TV maybe 15 years ago (maybe more... I feel old) and they had their keeper sent off early but we couldn't score. Like with the Bradford game where Windass went in goal we seemed to panic and start shooting on site instead of trying to actually create any genuine goal attempts.

It has been covered before, but Peter Taylor took over between the sticks when Derek Belotti was flattened against Cambridge back in the early 70's. IIRC Barry Delf made one full appearance in goal for the Blues, circa 1980(?), and he was an outfield player at school......

I remember us playing Luton on TV maybe 15 years ago (maybe more... I feel old) and they had their keeper sent off early but we couldn't score. Like with the Bradford game where Windass went in goal we seemed to panic and start shooting on site instead of trying to actually create any genuine goal attempts.

More chance than if we started shooting off-site!

I think we lost the Luton game one nil, Douglas might of scored for them - if I'm not confusing two Luton games.

Wasn't the keeper stretched off and they didn't have a sub goalie? Or was he badly injured but had to carry on cause of no sub keeper on the bench, rather than sent off? Or maybe I am confusing two different games?

It has been covered before, but Peter Taylor took over between the sticks when Derek Belotti was flattened against Cambridge back in the early 70's. IIRC Barry Delf made one full appearance in goal for the Blues, circa 1980(?), and he was an outfield player at school......
Alex Smith took over from Spud after a while when
Spud was moved to the wing . I also recall former Southend Dave Webb when he was at Chelsea playing a whole game in goal because Chelsea did not have any fit goalkeepers .

Keith Mercer went in goal after John Keeley was sent off we were winning 3-1 at the time the 1st thing he had to do was pick the ball out of the back of the net but we somehow held on for a 3-2 win.
Those were the days of 1 sub and it your keeper was injured or sent off an outfield player would go in goal.

Lawrie Leslie went off at Peterborough due to one of his regular fractures. Indeed you could probably make up a full team of players who have replaced him in goal !

Struggling to remember who replaced him (despite being at the match). Wasn't Frank Mathews was it (or maybe Bentley?)

Lawrie Leslie went off at Peterborough due to one of his regular fractures. Indeed you could probably make up a full team of players who have replaced him in goal !

Struggling to remember who replaced him (despite being at the match). Wasn't Frank Mathews was it (or maybe Bentley?)
I sure it was Tony Bentley .

Wasn't the keeper stretched off and they didn't have a sub goalie? Or was he badly injured but had to carry on cause of no sub keeper on the bench, rather than sent off? Or maybe I am confusing two different games?

Option (2). Definitely Luton and it was some giant American they had - Ian Feuer - who was injured early on and barely had a save to make. We lost 1-0.

I sure it was Tony Bentley .

Yes, it was early 1968/9 so Frank Mathews had already left for Torquay.

Perhaps Mathews went in goal in an earlier match as I recall thinking he was a little small for the role.

Not Paul Clark, but Ryan Clarke. But yeah you're right.

Have I remembered this correctly that his one game for us was against Swansea when Freddy got the famous hat-trick on his debut! But (correct me if I am wrong) didn't Lee Trundle hit the crossbar from the half way line alah Ryan Leanord??

Back