• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
It may be a little early in the season to talk about "must win" games, but a defeat against so far win-less Oxford could leave us consigned to the nether regions of the division - not what was expected.

However recent history is on our side as we go for our seventh consecutive home win over Oxford at Roots Hall. Combine that with a referee we have a 100% record with and what could go wrong ?

The man in charge on Saturday is Andy Davies from Hampshire, who has just started his third season as a Football League referee.

He refereed Southend twice during his first season with no complaints about either of them - perhaps not surprising as we won them both.

Firstly, he oversaw our early steps towards Wembley against Wimbledon. A 2-1 win with cautions for Straker and Spicer (and one of theirs). The other match was the impressive 4-1 win at Torquay, with two cautions apiece (ours were Barker and Phillips) and a red card for them.

His other Southend match was our 2-0 home win against Northampton just over a year ago., White was cautioned and they had a yellow and a red.

His card-count is above average with 203 yellows and 10 reds from his 56 match career to date. He has yet to have a single cardless match.

Assisting will be a couple of Londoners; Jake Hillier from Barnet and Sam Purkiss from Highbury. Sam Purkiss hit the headlines when he abandoned a Ryman Premier match at Wingate and Finchley after sending off 5 of the home players. Darren Blunden will be making his way through the tunnel from Dartford to do the 4th Official stuff in the other tunnel.

As you say , 6 consecutive home wins v Oxford , a 100% record with the ref and opponents yet to win , what can go wrong...............:sad:

And, our resident experts, pray tell what your assessment of his performance was?

And, our resident experts, pray tell what your assessment of his performance was?

Not the worst and a long way from the best. Rather more cards than the game warranted (but that was expected) and it is unfortunate that the two not dissimilar and marginal decisions both went to Oxford. I suspect if he'd given both or neither, people wouldn't be too upset with him.

From sideways on in the East Blues, when he blew for the penalty I really thought he was going to caution for diving and I wouldn't have disagreed with that at the time. Seeing it again, Hylton created a bit of slight contact from Prosser and went down. That's what happens when you run at players in the box; we should try it more often.

Last edited:
Not the worst and a long way from the best. Rather more cards than the game warranted (but that was expected) and it is unfortunate that the two not dissimilar and marginal decisions both went to Oxford. I suspect if he'd given both or neither, people wouldn't be too upset with him.

From sideways on in the East Blues, when he blew for the penalty I really thought he was going to caution for diving and I wouldn't have disagreed with that at the time. Seeing it again, Hylton created a bit of slight contact from Prosser and went down. That's what happens when you run at players in the box; we should try it.

We did. He didn't give it.

Think he should have cautioned their full back for his overacting when getting Atkinson booked , although probably worthy of booking there was no need to stay down holding his face ,the trainer didn't even come on .

Think he should have cautioned their full back for his overacting when getting Atkinson booked , although probably worthy of booking there was no need to stay down holding his face ,the trainer didn't even come on .

There is no scope for a caution for being injured by a "bookable" challenge for longer than the crowd think appropriate. The referee can only manage the situation and get him off the pitch quicker.

I was directly in line with Hyltons run and Prosser never touched him - I thought he was having a fit!! Could not believe it when he gave it - I though the was going to book him for diving!!

Probably one of the worst penalty decisions I have seen since the last one against us.

Seriously though, I couldn't believe it when he gave it. Didn't think either of them were pens to be fair.

You just know when you see he's little and bald,that the "referee" will be yet another in the long succession of half-wits,often ex-army,who quite clearly have never played the game nor studied it much, for that matter.
One goal-kick decision,in particular, Saturday 1st half when the Blues' player probably fouled to win the corner defied belief.

There is no scope for a caution for being injured by a "bookable" challenge for longer than the crowd think appropriate. The referee can only manage the situation and get him off the pitch quicker.
And when it became obvious he was play acting , could the ref not have booked him for unsporting behaviour ??

You just know when you see he's little and bald,that the "referee" will be yet another in the long succession of half-wits,often ex-army,who quite clearly have never played the game nor studied it much, for that matter.
One goal-kick decision,in particular, Saturday 1st half when the Blues' player probably fouled to win the corner defied belief.

As someone who is bald, an ex-Army referee and a failed footballer, I have to say I'm a little peeved by your stereotypical remark! :)

Back