• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
TEN man Southend United suffered a 2-0 defeat at Oxford tonight, to make it the club’s worst start to a season in 20 years.

More...

From the Echo:
TEN man Southend United suffered a 2-0 defeat at Oxford tonight, to make it the club’s worst start to a season in 20 years.
Not since 1992 have Blues kicked off a campaign with three successive defeats.
But, after midfielder Michael Timlin was sent off after just 27 minutes for two bookable offences, Paul Sturrock’s side were always going to be up against it at the Kassam Stadium.
And the U’s made the most of their extra man with substitute Tom Craddock bagging a second half brace to help the home-side come out on top.
Despite the eventual disappointment, Southend were initially on top and the lively Gavin Tomlin almost put them ahead in the 22nd minute when he charged down an attempted clearance from U’s goalkeeper Ryan Clarke – only for the ball to fly inches over the crossbar.
However, that was as close as Blues were to come to scoring and, just 60 seconds after the near miss, Timlin picked up his first booking of the evening for a late tackle on Oxford right back Damian Batt.
And, five minutes later, Timlin saw red after being shown a second yellow card by referee Oliver Langford who adjudged the midfielder to have tripped U’s Southend born winger Jake Forster-Caskey.
The second caution seemed quite harsh but led to Timlin being sent off for the first time since March 2007 when playing for Swindon Town at Grimsby.
Following Timlin’s dismissal, Blues reorganised with Kane Ferdinand dropping back in to a midfield role.
But Oxford immediately attempted to get on top, with Deane Smalley having a close range effort from Adam Chapman’s right wing free-kick well saved by Blues goalkeeper Cameron Belford.
Smalley then fired wide of the left post from 12 yards when he should have done better and, on the stroke of half-time, Sean Rigg’s powerful header was superbly saved by Belford down low to his right hand side. During the interval, Craddock replaced Lee Cox in the Oxford midfield and, in the 54th minute, it was the substitute who put the home-side in front.
Alfie Potter was the creator as he charged down the right wing before delivering a low, near post cross which Craddock fired home at the near post.
With Oxford now piling on the pressure, Belford then did superbly well to tip a low shot from Sean Rigg around the right post and, with 61 minutes on the clock, Craddock sent a well struck effort fizzing over the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area.
Four minutes later, Blues boss Sturrock made a double substitution in a bid to get his side back in to the game with Ryan Hall and Britt Assombalonga replacing Ryan Leonard and Kevan Hurst.
But it was Oxford still pushing forward as Alfie Potter deceived Mark Phillips with a fine piece of skill before firing a 12 yard shot against the outside of the right post.
Sturrock responded by making his final substitution of the evening in the 77th minute with Chris Barker coming on for the disappointing Anthony Straker.
However, Oxford continued to attack with Craddock having a well struck shot impressively saved by Belford before Rigg embarrassingly fired wide from close range.
Oxford were not to be denied a second goal though and it came just three minutes from time when Craddock turned Ryan Cresswell and fired home a powerful 12 yard shot to end a run of six successive defeats against Blues.

Post your ratings on the Pringello Index here: http://www.pringello.co.uk/match/?match=80

My first game of the season, so I'll reserve full judgement until I've seen us play a few more times. I'd like to see the Timlin decision again - looked stupidly harsh from where I was sat. We seemed to tire badly towards the end - was that playing for 60 mins with 10 men, or is the squad lacking fitness? Also, whilst Gavin "offside" Tomlin was certainly one of our better players, we could have Collymore up front in his prime and he'd struggle - given the lack of quality in midfield.
My concern is that whilst we've 'improved' the squad over the summer, we now have players who are less suited to the demands of this division. Are we good enough to mount a promotion charge? Hmmm.

Most entertaining thing I saw all night was the stewards based in in the car park chasing after the balls that came flying over the empty end before they were nicked by the bunch of youths waiting on the grassy knoll - hilarious. I honestly think we'd have got something out of the game were it not for the sending off. Oxford looked very average for the first 45 minutes, and in the end they should have won 5-0 but their finishing was abysmal.

I see nobody has done any ratings yet, and although that is not easy with 10-men I'll give it a go.

Belford 8 - Played really well last night in what is probably his last game (gave his gloves to a fan at the end)

Clohessy 7 - Not the most effective game by Sean but still gave his all
Phillips 7 - Pretty solid at the back
Cresswell 8 - Love this guy, wins everything in the air and reads the game very well.
Straker 6 - Hmmm. early days yet, but I hope he's got better performances in him. Disappointing going forward and passes too often misplaced

Leonard 6 - He can throw the ball a really long way.....
Timlin 8 - Thought he was our best player before he got (harshly) sent off - (mark is for the 27 mins. he spent on the pitch!)
Spicer 6 - Had hoped for a bit more from him, showed glimpses of what he might be but not match fit yet
Hurst 7 - Looks a decent player, good skill and strong for a wide man too

Ferdinand 8 - Thought Kane played well last night, worked really hard for 90 minutes too.

Tomlin 7 - Again worked really hard on his own up top - just wish he'd be a bit more positive sometimes

Subs:

Assombalonga 7 - Looks to be strong and quick, would like to see more of him
Hall 6 - Could do with shedding some lbs by the look of him. Thought he'd change the game when he came on, he didn't!
Barker 7 - Looked strong and positive when he came on and whipped in one really good cross that could have led to a goal

Overall I was disappointed with the result, thought the ref ruined the game with the sending off (thought the lino missed an offside for their 1st goal too) but not too disheartened...yet!

I wouldn't argue with your ratings except for Hall. I would give him a 0 for attacking and passing capability and a 3 for his defending & blocking. When it became clear that Barker was coming on I crossed my fingers in the hope that Hall was being taken off. Harsh but justified given Hall's inability to keep the ball, go past any Oxford player or provide an attacking threat ..... in fact Barker was better at crossing!

I see nobody has done any ratings yet, and although that is not easy with 10-men I'll give it a go.

Belford 8 - Played really well last night in what is probably his last game (gave his gloves to a fan at the end)

Clohessy 7 - Not the most effective game by Sean but still gave his all
Phillips 7 - Pretty solid at the back
Cresswell 8 - Love this guy, wins everything in the air and reads the game very well.
Straker 6 - Hmmm. early days yet, but I hope he's got better performances in him. Disappointing going forward and passes too often misplaced

Leonard 6 - He can throw the ball a really long way.....
Timlin 8 - Thought he was our best player before he got (harshly) sent off - (mark is for the 27 mins. he spent on the pitch!)
Spicer 6 - Had hoped for a bit more from him, showed glimpses of what he might be but not match fit yet
Hurst 7 - Looks a decent player, good skill and strong for a wide man too

Ferdinand 8 - Thought Kane played well last night, worked really hard for 90 minutes too.

Tomlin 7 - Again worked really hard on his own up top - just wish he'd be a bit more positive sometimes

Subs:

Assombalonga 7 - Looks to be strong and quick, would like to see more of him
Hall 6 - Could do with shedding some lbs by the look of him. Thought he'd change the game when he came on, he didn't!
Barker 7 - Looked strong and positive when he came on and whipped in one really good cross that could have led to a goal

Overall I was disappointed with the result, thought the ref ruined the game with the sending off (thought the lino missed an offside for their 1st goal too) but not too disheartened...yet!

Is it just me, I really don't get it. Last night his passing was woeful. He is so slow and easily passed by the opposition. We haven't the tall man up front to even make use of his long throw. Absolute joke to keep playing him.

Not a fan of long throws and I don't think it is helping the team in that they need to be able to pass and move the ball on the floor - not rely on getting a throw near the box and then pile bodies forward.

Is it just me, I really don't get it. Last night his passing was woeful. He is so slow and easily passed by the opposition. We haven't the tall man up front to even make use of his long throw. Absolute joke to keep playing him.

Definitely not just you - I was implying by my comment that he adds little else to the team!

Harsh comments towards Ryan Leonard.

He was brilliant last year, he is the exact type of player we want to play wide right, as discussed we can't play 2 out and out wingers. He plays maturely. Just cos he's had a few poor games after coming back doesn't make him a bad player.

He's pretty young.

He offers balance, and with him in the side last year we looked very very very well balanced.

Lay off. He is not the problem.

The problem is our best two strikers are injured AND we've only played a few games.

MEDICATION TIME is required for you lot.

Harsh comments towards Ryan Leonard.

He was brilliant last year, he is the exact type of player we want to play wide right, as discussed we can't play 2 out and out wingers. He plays maturely. Just cos he's had a few poor games after coming back doesn't make him a bad player.

He's pretty young.

He offers balance, and with him in the side last year we looked very very very well balanced.

Lay off. He is not the problem.

The problem is our best two strikers are injured AND we've only played a few games.

MEDICATION TIME is required for you lot.

Thats in a 442, we didnt play 442 last night.

Agree that the main thing we need is our main strikers back in the side, and no more stupid sendings off.

Thats in a 442, we didnt play 442 last night.

Fair enough comments I suppose, but I don't think it's that easy to see what the formation is sometimes. I think Hall should play down the middle as an CAM or as a striker. He can be so clinical infront of goal and if he's given a chance or a ball to feet in the box he can turn and shoot.

Fair enough comments I suppose, but I don't think it's that easy to see what the formation is sometimes. I think Hall should play down the middle as an CAM or as a striker. He can be so clinical infront of goal and if he's given a chance or a ball to feet in the box he can turn and shoot.

I still dont know how to class that system, whether its 451 or 433.

With it changing home and away doesnt help either which may be why some people are missing that we have actually changed how we play at home.

With Hall you would miss his crossing if played in the middle, but with no one to really meet crosses not sure how much that would matter.

I still dont know how to class that system, whether its 451 or 433.

With it changing home and away doesnt help either which may be why some people are missing that we have actually changed how we play at home.

With Hall you would miss his crossing if played in the middle, but with no one to really meet crosses not sure how much that would matter.

Tomlin, Timlin (LOL), Clohessy, Leonard, Harris and Hurst all seem to have a good whipping cross on them. I really think we have many a creative player in the squad now.

Hall up top wouldn't stop him from taking set pieces of any kind.

Our midfield players

Timlin Spicer Ferdinand Hurst Leonard etc

Can all play a pass to feet. The crossing can still happen. I just think Hall can be so much more effective (sounds ridiculous) with a free-ish role through the middle.

He played upfront against Daggers last season and I believe he scored two and one was an instinctive toe poke. He's not bad in the air either.

I really think he'll end up playing through the middle or upfront at some point in his career.

Not a fan of long throws and I don't think it is helping the team in that they need to be able to pass and move the ball on the floor - not rely on getting a throw near the box and then pile bodies forward.

They have their uses - but I'd like to see once in each match a plan B where the 'long' throw is actually thrown short.

the first five minutes i thought we were in for a thrashing. but then we settled down and had a few breaks but tomlin seemed to either stutter or just play that last pass too late. having said that he worked bloody hard last night. after the sending off there was almost no point with the ref and lino's getting almost everything wrong.

The sending off made a huge difference & a 90 min 11 a side result will never be known: BUT in the first 1/3 of the game when we had a full side we had 0, nada, nil attempts on goal and that was in a period people are saying we were playing well. We have two injured forwards and four available, if those available aren't up to it (in PS opinion or efforts on goal in the games) then why have we got them?

Back