• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I really think that the away day hoodoo stuff has got into some of their heads. How can we be getting good results at home on our awful pitch but not away on (usually) much better ones?!

Because we are used to it, we play on it every other week. Perhaps the style of football where players can't wait to get rid of the ball as soon as they get it is more suited to our squad than that which is played on a perfect surface.

There is a distinct lack of leadership out there in away games. I really like Ben Coker but he and Anton yesterday fail to inspire the troops away from home. Yesterday was a prime example. Dreadful defending for their first after a passage of play where Oxford thought they had scored.

There is a distinct lack of leadership out there in away games. I really like Ben Coker but he and Anton yesterday fail to inspire the troops away from home. Yesterday was a prime example. Dreadful defending for their first after a passage of play where Oxford thought they had scored.

This was actually something else Lenny was really good at, it's odd how disjointed the squad seem to be after having been quite close last season. A clear sign for me that some are obviously on their way.

Did he? Must have missed that, thought we lost, slightly unfairly, but definitely lost! :unsure:
I never said that we hadn't lost. What I said was he was instrumental in the attacks at the end where we had two good chances to get a point. Or had you left the ground by then?

Whether its Phil Brown or Chris Powell we can't get around the fact that this team just ain't good enough consistently. In fact they are dross away from home and performances at home like that against Walsall show a lack of heart. If they can perform so well at home against Wigan, why should they be so cr*p against Walsall?

It's a funny old game and I know they are for the most part journeymen players approaching the end of their careers or realising that they won't make the step up to greater things, but even so they should be able to do better than they have this season. Most disappointing.

Yesterday was truly dismal compared to last week's impressive performance at Blackburn. We did miss Mantom in the middle and Wordsworth was not the answer, albeit he did have a decent chance in the first half to score.
Dru's shot which hit the post could have changed the game. Oxford were there for the taking and we failed.
Witnessing one away win and two away draws is a very poor return for ten away trips to date.
keep the faith fellow Shrimpers !

I find the attack’s on Powell this early into his tenure laughable, especially when he has turned our season round from facing relegation. We have had some amazing results, beating top sides well. I think the problem lays with the players we have. There is no reason a formation that worked well against a side top of the league suddenly wouldn’t work at all against a side 17th. I think it’s down to players not being up to it and not putting the work in. Wordsworth looks like he can’t be arsed every time ive seen him play this season. I think his attitude has a effect on the whole team playing, he has to go IMO.
Phil Brown had 5 years, Chris Powell has had a couple months... let’s give him time to build his Southend United.
UTB

Think so. We were going down until we appointed him. Plus, this isn't his squad.
There was other options, he is grinding down and killing Simon Cox, a small guy with skill, fighting up front on his own, he will wear him down/out doing this. Most teams see a spark when a new manager comes in.

So much for our poor pitch causing our players problems!
I always said other teams come and pass on RH, and never thought the pitch was the problem, seen passing on sand in the 70/80 before, long ball, small guy, one up front will knacker Simon out, it’s just like Brown is still here.

I find the attack’s on Powell this early into his tenure laughable, especially when he has turned our season round from facing relegation. We have had some amazing results, beating top sides well. I think the problem lays with the players we have. There is no reason a formation that worked well against a side top of the league suddenly wouldn’t work at all against a side 17th. I think it’s down to players not being up to it and not putting the work in. Wordsworth looks like he can’t be arsed every time ive seen him play this season. I think his attitude has a effect on the whole team playing, he has to go IMO.
Phil Brown had 5 years, Chris Powell has had a couple months... let’s give him time to build his Southend United.
UTB

From what I understand all that formation did against Blackburn was nullify them. It was only when we went more attacking we created chances.

Starting with 1 up front against a team that hasn't won in 6 is criminal, and it doesn't matter who the manager is, or how long he's been here, that decision should be criticised; and the poor substitution as well.

I feel starting with a negative formation has a negative impact on players, and playing Cox is that lone role is a complete waste.

I hope CP succeeds (just as I hoped PB would) but why should people on here not have an opinion about CPs decisions.

Personally one of the biggest errors CP has made so far is giving Coker the captaincy.

My first away match this season (Lucky you I hear you all say !)
We were second best all over the pitch right from the off. Both goals were easily avoidable by bothering to tackle or hitting Row Z.
Quite simply they looked up for it and we didn't and lets remember their recent run is awful.

Only real positives:

Oxley - several great saves and quite right to give the ballboy some grief imo - I'm sure they told them to take as much time as possible to get the ball back.
Dru - class and effort, very unlucky not to score.
Elvis - took a couple of hefty challenges and then went past their full back for fun late in the game.
Cox - thankless task and it just wasn't going to go in for him - he's probably knackered from all the donkey work when he does actually get a chance.

Everyone else average to poor.
I've always defended Wordsworth but he was a liability- constantly gave the ball away and missed a sitter when it was 1-0.

If PB had picked such a negative starting line up against a struggling side he'd have been crucified. CP shouldn't be immune to criticism just because he's had a decent start. I can understand one up front against a rampant Blackburn team, but against Oxford? I'm sorry it smacks of a lack of ambition, we got what we deserved.

I've been one of Theo Robinson's critics this season but against Gillingham he was great. What's his reward been? Kick your heels on the bench son. :sad:

Couldn't agree more

I will state that I don't like the seemingly negative line up with one up front, whether it is PB or SCP picking the team. But I will also give SCP the benefit of the doubt, that he is looking at the players with a view to next season and playing various systems and trying to give most a chance to stake a claim.
Just an observation, it seems a bit funny to me that the posters being most critical of SCP have joined the forum since SCP was appointed. Am I a conspiracy theorist or not? :winking:

I will state that I don't like the seemingly negative line up with one up front, whether it is PB or SCP picking the team. But I will also give SCP the benefit of the doubt, that he is looking at the players with a view to next season and playing various systems and trying to give most a chance to stake a claim.
Just an observation, it seems a bit funny to me that the posters being most critical of SCP have joined the forum since SCP was appointed. Am I a conspiracy theorist or not? :winking:

Probably not a lot to do stuck in a hotel near Swindon.

Their first goal scorer,James Henry, was going to sign for us last summer but then decided he didn't want to move to the area and didn't fancy commuting for training. So the we lost interest and it didn't happen.

Their first goal scorer,James Henry, was going to sign for us last summer but then decided he didn't want to move to the area and didn't fancy commuting for training. So the we lost interest and it didn't happen.
So we opted for Nile Ranger instead

Like others, I cannot see why we played one up front against a team who are ordinary at best in this league and must have been low on confidence.
To make it worse, if we must play this system it seems a basic fundamental to me that the wingers and CM have to press high up on the oppo full backs when they have the ball. With a couple of exceptions we didn't do so and the result is that a very average team are able to pass the ball easily out of defence and look like Barcelona in their prime.
It was either poor tactics or (more likely in my opinion) end of season lack of effort.

Back