• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I will not moan at Chris's untill his team next season goes on pitch,. unfortunately we still got lot brown players ,
We play better two upfront with wide players on wing
I would get rid of loads players keep few players like keeper ,John white ,few others

I've been away this weekend so I've missed all the fun and frolics apart from a secretive peak at SZ now and again on Saturday to check the score. Now I'm back and I've read this lot up to page 4 at which point I lost the will to live, gloom and despondency doesn't even start to describe some of the posts. Fact, we have had problems away from home, nothing new there this season. We had them under PB and they are not disappearing under SCP, but our home form is totally different and we are hard to beat. I therefore fully expect us to stuff MK Dons and put to bed all this 'could we be relegated?' bollocks that is sweeping the Zone at the moment. I agree with Uncle Leo that the doubting of SCP is premature and I'm surprised that it has started this early, but each to their own I suppose. Let's get to season's end and see how the close season goes. Without the new kit thread to sustain us in any depth, worries about our future under CSP can be the subject of choice for those that feel the need. Roll on Saturday, I need a Blues football fix. Woo hoo.

Wordsworth looks like he can’t be arsed every time ive seen him play this season. I think his attitude has a effect on the whole team playing, he has to go IMO.
Phil Brown had 5 years, Chris Powell has had a couple months... let’s give him time to build his Southend United.
UTB
Interesting, under PB, Woody was the court jester. I guess the death of your brother might have a detrimental effect, so please, can we stop being quite so harsh?

I am in two minds on this away day misery; firstly I am annoyed, as others, that we set up as a negative 4 5 1 with just Cox, which as others say looks like a "play for a point"and hope to catch a break system.
Then I think CP needs to look and know his players better, notably those he is uncertain on if to keep or release; Woody must be close to top of this list & this is also, IMO, the correct thing to do in a "dead rubber" game...............yet it doesn't seem right when nearly 700 Shrimpers paid good money................however CP must have hoped for more spirit from those out there.
I hope he puts the strongest line up out against MK, in a game which has meaning for other teams (as the Blackburn game did).
The Oldham game similarly needs to be contested as there are relegation issues involved; and the Bradford/Bristol games are possible experimental test games?
I note there are post regarding dressing room harmony ;- very probable as some will know they are looking at a move and won't be happy or positive maybe unless they want off. and if they want out then they won't be working as hard as maybe a good pro ought to.

Interesting, under PB, Woody was the court jester. I guess the death of your brother might have a detrimental effect, so please, can we stop being quite so harsh?

He really can do no wrong in your eyes, just because he’s a nice guy doesn’t mean we should give him a new deal. Yes the talent is there, but his performances and lack of appearances due to injury are enough to let him go. He will be on of our higher earners and we could really do with spending that wage elsewhere.

He really can do no wrong in your eyes, just because he’s a nice guy doesn’t mean we should give him a new deal. Yes the talent is there, but his performances and lack of appearances due to injury are enough to let him go. He will be on of our higher earners and we could really do with spending that wage elsewhere.

I am with you on this, on his day very good but that is not often enough for the cost. Also players need games to get up to match/team fit and that is disruptive.
Often the teams that do well are those with a settled 11 plus a couple of proven, ready replacements. Having a squad of 20 plus, with 5/6 being "better" players but too often injured/unavailable is often a proven recipe for disruption.

I will not moan at Chris's untill his team next season goes on pitch,. unfortunately we still got lot brown players ,
We play better two upfront with wide players on wing
I would get rid of loads players keep few players like keeper ,John white ,few others

when I first read this I thought Alf Garnett had joined the forum.

Powell has a massive job next season. It worries me that he thinks Wordsworth should have been playing at a much higher level. He would be one of my first players i would show out the door.

Powell had a massive job on this season and he id not fulfilling the hype that many on here were saying that he would fulfill.

He needs to prove himself as a manager with Southend. He did it as a player but he still has a long way to go to do it as a manager.

I’m hoping SCP is learning a lot from these last “dead” games. We’re not going down. I believe he used to favour one up front away from home when at Charlton. We don’t have anyone suited to the lone striker role but Cox is about as close as we’ve got so I guess he wanted to see how others coped with that. You would have hoped that Wordsworth could play just behind him as he’s shown on numerous occasions that he doesn’t have the necessary toughness and willingness to get stuck in to play in a 4 man midfield. I think Powell will have learnt quite a bit about one of our so-called big players and some of the others who don’t seem quite as good away from home.

It’s too early for all these negative judgements on our current manager as he’s got a squad that seemed to have been put together by PB with no real idea of how they would play together. Like others, I’ll make my mind up once he’s had his own pre-season and beyond.

I think many of us are learning a lot from SCP also.....

Think so. We were going down until we appointed him. Plus, this isn't his squad.

His, team selections and his tactics make it his responsibility whether it is his squad or not.... Do you think that is what he says to RM after each defeat... Sorry you can't blame me they are not my squad.

Personally I don't think people on here are critical about Powell.

This is a post match thread, I read it as the posters are more critical of the team performance on the day (and yes, to an extent, the way the manager set up the team).. but in no way do i read these posts as a "Powell Out" comment.

We lost, and were dominated from kick off. I think the the general opinion is, we got well beaten, but should have put in more of a fight regardless of the result.....That's the way I see it anyway.

We had enough opportunities for us not to be dominated :thumbdown:

His, team selections and his tactics make it his responsibility whether it is his squad or not.... Do you think that is what he says to RM after each defeat... Sorry you can't blame me they are not my squad.

I was somebody who did not believe it was in the clubs' short-term interest to let PB go before the end of his contract. However he was removed and whilst we will never know what our fate would have been had he remained, I think it is fair to say that SCP has accumulated (almost) the points we need a good deal quicker than I freely admit PB would have. As I've said elsewhere on the forum, you cannot judge SCP properly until he has reshaped the squad to play the kind of football he wants to. He has almost fulfilled his primary objective to steer us clear of trouble - once he has expect big changes. Nobody is safe or should view themselves indispensable. At this level they aren't.

Spare a thought for the likes of Herman. He has done about 15/16 away days this season and hasn't seen us win. He has to go back to Chesterfield last season for his last away win.

I would suggest (respectfully) that he is dispatched back to The Hermits forthwith!

The lone striker selection policy is baffling. I can see why SCP thinks we might need to cram the midfield a bit after the Plymouth debacle but playing Coxy up there alone and feeding high balls in against two tower block centre-halves is crazy. Meat and drink gobble-ups for the twin pillars. I think Cox would be better off in a withdrawn role feeding someone like Theo who likes to make forward runs instead. We could have sacrificed one of the two ineffective wingers or Wordsworth and still been more creative and penetrating, perhaps playing Timlin on the left and Mantom in the middle with Dru just ahead of him and Cox in the hole.

We had enough opportunities for us not to be dominated :thumbdown:

No we didn't, we had 3 accurate shots on goal in an hour and a half. And imho we should have lost 3-0, not 2-0, as i'm certain their disallowed goal crossed the line. Im just glad the ref didn't give it.

In deference.....their 2nd goal was a country mile offside....but the lino was about 10 yards behind the play at the time....I believe it was ironic that at one stage in the game, both sets of supporters were singing "you don't know what you're doing" to the officials....clearly they had a crap day at the office.:omg:

Anybody know what McGlashan has done wrong? His pace would be useful against teams like Oxford.....

Back