• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend_aussies

I come from a land down under
As the next game is just over 24 hours away I think it's time to get over the loss to Accrington with a preview of the upcoming match against Oxford on Wednesday morning (Aus time) and Tuesday night your time.

Oxford V Southend United

FORM:

OXFORD:

Last 5:

LEAGUE:
Bristol Rovers 2-0 (W)

LEAGUE CUP:

Bournemouth 0-0 (5-3 Win on Penalties)

FRIENDLIES:

Oxford City 2-0 (W)
Eastleigh 0-2 (L)
Cardiff 1-2 (L)

SOUTHEND:

LEAGUE:

Accrington 0-1 (L)

LEAGUE CUP:

Peterborough 0-4 (L)

FRIENDLIES:

Tottenham Hotspur XI 0-6 (L)
Charlton 2-3 (L)
Millwall 1-2 (L)

HEAD TO HEAD:

Southend 16
Oxford 18
Draw 5

Last Time we met: 28 April 2012 Oxford 0 Southend 2

Last 5 time head to head: Southend 5 Oxford 0 Draw 0

KEY PLAYER FOR OXFORD:

James Constable - Despite not scoring against Bristol Rovers, Constable has been a constant scorer for Oxford United over the last few seasons. After scoring 15 goals in Oxford's first season back in League 2, Constable backed that up last year with 11 goals - the most for his club. When you add the partnership of loanee Jake Forster-Caskey - who scored a goal on his debut last Saturday - Oxford have a very good front two that Southend need to be careful of. If Southend shut down these two players then they have every chance of victory.

KEY PLAYER FOR SOUTHEND:

Paul Smith - Despite only recently signing for Southend, the Shrimpers lack of striking options and lack of clean sheets mean new goalkeeper Smith becomes vital in Southend's quest for maximum points. If Smith can play well and gain a clean sheet - which would be Southend's first in 9 games - then the team will be well on their way to victory.

STATS:

Southend has won their last 6 games against Oxford United spanning over 5 years

Oxford hasn't defeated Southend since 2005

Southend were the best team in League 2 away from home last year gaining 41 points from a maximum 69.

Oxford only lost four times at home last year

Southend haven't kept a clean sheet in their last 8 competitive matches

Oxford have scored in 8 of their last 10 competitive matches

PREDICTION:

Oxford started the season well last week against Bristol Rovers while Southend struggled against Accrington eventually losing at home. Despite this, form went out the window when Southend played away from home because they turned into a completely different outfit. This year though they could struggle and with a few injuries and niggles and knocks to other players, Southend may struggle against an in-form Oxford. I hope I'm wrong but Southend's good run against the U's could come to an end.

MY TIP: 2-0

Very tough game indeed, I feel if we were to loose both our next away games then there would be real pressure on PS.The positive for me is we tend to play better away from home.

1.1 Is my prediction

Same team, same result, 1 0 lose. This midfield got to be toughened up, or imo when we play top sides like Oxford, we will just get steamrollered.

Get Spicer in for Kane or go 4-3-3/4-5-1 with Tomlin, Britt and Hall up top and Kane, Timlin and Spicer in the midfield.

Grant was the reason we won back in April, but he's not here anymore so I'm afraid it'll be a 3-1 loss, if we even manage the 1.

I really don't want to see Kane start, but if Spicer isn't ready then there's not a lot of alternatives. I was surprised that Timlin was deemed fitter having had even less of a pre-season, but he did well Saturday & lasted the 90 which I didn't think he would.

Beating Rovers 2-0 the weekend was the surprise result for me, especially as Bristol are fancied to challenging this season. Going to be tough I think, but I'll take a draw, 1-1.

My prediction 2-1 to them- they get the opening goal then Spicer scoring for us about 60 mins then they score about 85 mins hopefully im wrong and that it will be 2-1 southend

My prediction 2-1 to them- they get the opening goal then Spicer scoring for us about 60 mins then they score about 85 mins hopefully im wrong and that it will be 2-1 southend

You forgot to say the time of their opening goal ?

4 changes from Saturday, 4-3-3.

As much as I really don't rate Ferdinand, I think that in a midfield 3 with Timms and Spicer will let him sit in that defensive role, to which he is much more suited than being the attacking force Sturrock has tried to convert him to.

If Freddy still isn't fit, bring in Harris.

Smith
Clohessy Cresswell Phillips(c) Prosser
Spicer Ferdinand Timlin
Tomlin Eastwood Hall

Back