• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

More to the point would either be good enough for the Championship?

If we get to the Championship then our new manager will decide if he needs a different keeper. As no doubt PB would be off to a bigger club.

I doubt we'll go up this season. If we did we would need to look again. If we don't go up we're settled for next season. I expect Smith especially to be better next season. He is learning but needs time and support. Oxley is decent, improved so much from his early showings.
Smith now has half a season behind him so is steadily improving and gaining experience

Personally I hope we look to sign another keeper this summer. Oxley doesn't instill me with confidence and Ted is still too young and raw for regular League One football IMHO. I'd be looking to let Oxley go and have Ted as No 2 behind an experienced and proven goalkeeper.

I think Oxley started off poorly, but by the time of his injury he was actually playing very well. I have a friend who is a Hibs fan who said he was severely short of confidence when he left them. I think that showed in his early performances, but I also think his performances were improving with his confidence. (A bit of a virtuous circle.)

I also think we've done pretty well of late with a young, raw goalkeeper who isn't ready for regular League One football. However, should we get promoted then we might need to think again.

I think Oxley started off poorly, but by the time of his injury he was actually playing very well. I have a friend who is a Hibs fan who said he was severely short of confidence when he left them. I think that showed in his early performances, but I also think his performances were improving with his confidence. (A bit of a virtuous circle.)

I also think we've done pretty well of late with a young, raw goalkeeper who isn't ready for regular League One football. However, should we get promoted then we might need to think again.

Agree - the original Ox we saw in August would make me want to get a replacement. The Ox we were seeing just before his injury was good enough for this league ................. although some would argue that we really need to be signing players who are capable of making the step up to the division above but that is easier said than done.

If we get to the Championship then our new manager will decide if he needs a different keeper. As no doubt PB would be off to a bigger club.

He submitted his job application on BBC Essex before the game on Saturday.

Ahh, that old chestnut. I'm not so sure. I still think Brown is slightly "tainted" by the Hull episodes and his short time at Preston. Were we to be promoted then Brown will rightly be applauded for taking the club up 2 divisions but then what club would be "in for him"? Either a club in the same division or a top division club - I find the latter option difficult to believe. Or perhaps a 3rd option would be for a club that has been relegated to Division 3 (now rebadged as League One) that is looking to get back up again as soon as possible - Wigan and Blackburn might be options.

Ahh, that old chestnut. I'm not so sure. I still think Brown is slightly "tainted" by the Hull episodes and his short time at Preston. Were we to be promoted then Brown will rightly be applauded for taking the club up 2 divisions but then what club would be "in for him"? Either a club in the same division or a top division club - I find the latter option difficult to believe. Or perhaps a 3rd option would be for a club that has been relegated to Division 3 (now rebadged as League One) that is looking to get back up again as soon as possible - Wigan and Blackburn might be options.

I think your option 3 is a big possibility , given their locations , size of ground , potential support , probable higher budget etc

Back