• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I wonder what sort of salary constitutes the best for a keeper in L1. £3k pw? £3.5k? Can't imagine a club our size paying more than that surely?

This was said last Thursday - how long does he need to think about it?

Probably waiting for other offers. Ron was very careful with his words saying is was a very good deal for a league one keeper but that probably means a rubbish offer if a championship side came in for him.

Probably waiting for other offers. Ron was very careful with his words saying is was a very good deal for a league one keeper but that probably means a rubbish offer if a championship side came in for him.

Surely there must be some sort of deadline for acceptance in place? Otherwise he could keep stalling for weeks and then go somewhere else anyway. Then we could really find ourselves up the proverbial without any means of propulsion.

I don't think anyone with any sense would really think Ox is irreplaceable but I for one think it is much better to keep a proven goalkeeper who is settled and knows the club rather than start again and take a punt in the hope you've found the right man. There may be good 'keepers out there but t doesn't mean they'll settle and be the right fit for us. I hope he signs.

hoping he stays but agree we need a deadline in place.

Absolutely.
No offer should ever be 'open ended'.
All he and his agent will do ( and I have no issues with them doing it as it makes commercial sense ) is to use it as leverage in negotiations with others.

....and let us not forget, many of us thought he was utter garbage when we first arrived. What was it, four games before he made a save? Clangers v Gillingham and Port Vale? Out of his depth? Couldn't get in a second level Scottish Team? Give Ted Smith a game!!!

How wrong we were.
So yeah, hindsight is. You can imagine the furore if he'd been signed on a five year contract.

I'd argue at that time we were probably right, Oxley was very poor during much of that first season and when you consider that he'd been second choice to Conrad Logan at Hibs before we signed him his career history backs up that argument. What I would say is it's very likely that Lee Harrison has helped to turn Oxley into a quality keeper for this level. Given that we appear to have youth international goalkeepers at all levels I don't think our keeper coaches are getting enough credit here. Harrison in particular was very highly-rated before he joined and his arrival has coincided with Oxley's improvement - I think that's a telling factor.

I've heard he has signed a 3 year deal.

This may of course just be idle chatter that's grown legs and started running, but maybe one of you knows a bit more?

That would be good news. I do hope the rumours are right. I agree that Oxley started poorly in his first season but he fairly quickly turned that round and then unfortunately got injured. He is mow a good goalkeeper that I am sure will get better still.

Back