• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin feels the Shrimpers have offered Mark Oxley the best contract for a goalkeeper in League One.

More...

So they should do! He has done everything he needs to deserve a good contract. I really hope he accepts, if he doesn’t then I wish him the best of luck and am sure we will find a replacement as we did when Bentley left.

Might be an unpopular thing to say, but I don't think Oxley is un-replaceable. I can't help but think he is a good league 1 keeper but nothing amazing. He had a good season and got us points on the point but I also think he cost us a few goals as well.

Might be an unpopular thing to say, but I don't think Oxley is un-replaceable. I can't help but think he is a good league 1 keeper but nothing amazing. He had a good season and got us points on the point but I also think he cost us a few goals as well.

No one is irreplaceable, there are plenty of good goalkeepers out there.

Whilst not irreplaceable, why would we want to have to replace our player of the year - a player who grew in stature as the season progressed.

If any of our senior professionals is worth a 'bumper' contract then in my opinion it is Oxley.

First its all very well saying keepers are replaceable but very good ones who are consistent can give you 10 points a season and aren't.

Although it is perplexing- Liverpool have two keepers on big wages, £m of transfers yet are nowhere close to be as good as Oxley? And if good goalkeepers are easy to find why can't some top premier clubs manage it?

I feat the Ox is the sort of player that you most realise his value when he has gone.

The reality is best we can do is offer him a top L1 wage. If a championship side comes in then we are on shaky ground (especially one who intends playing him). The real mistake here with hindsight won't be around the current contract negotiations but not getting him a longer contract to start with.

i have to disagree, at this level he is excellent. Match after match he is a contender for mom, when we were being spanked away the threads on here suggested he was actually keeping the score down and was often the only player to be given any credit on here. He got player of the year from both the fans and the players and if anything is getting better. He is also smart in both his distribution and speed of distribution, setting up attacks and goals. We should be doing by our best to keep him. If he does go we need the give the next guy a chance and remember it that it took time me for oxley to settle in.

Last edited:
Whether he's irreplaceable or not is a matter of opinion and up for debate but it's preferable to keep as much continuity as possible.

First its all very well saying keepers are replaceable but very good ones who are consistent can give you 10 points a season and aren't.

Although it is perplexing- Liverpool have two keepers on big wages, £m of transfers yet are nowhere close to be as good as Oxley? And if good goalkeepers are easy to find why can't some top premier clubs manage it?

I feat the Ox is the sort of player that you most realise his value when he has gone.

The reality is best we can do is offer him a top L1 wage. If a championship side comes in then we are on shaky ground (especially one who intends playing him). The real mistake here with hindsight won't be around the current contract negotiations but not getting him a longer contract to start with.

Hindsight is is a wonderful thing! If he had been given a long contract and turned out to be rubbish, then some on here would be complaining about the length of that contract.

Hindsight is is a wonderful thing! If he had been given a long contract and turned out to be rubbish, then some on here would be complaining about the length of that contract.

....and let us not forget, many of us thought he was utter garbage when we first arrived. What was it, four games before he made a save? Clangers v Gillingham and Port Vale? Out of his depth? Couldn't get in a second level Scottish Team? Give Ted Smith a game!!!

How wrong we were. So yeah, hindsight is. You can imagine the furore if he'd been signed on a five year contract.

....and let us not forget, many of us thought he was utter garbage when we first arrived. What was it, four games before he made a save? Clangers v Gillingham and Port Vale? Out of his depth? Couldn't get in a second level Scottish Team? Give Ted Smith a game!!!

How wrong we were. So yeah, hindsight is. You can imagine the furore if he'd been signed on a five year contract.

Which of course he never did. But the mob had gathered their pitch forks and lanterns were alight.

I hope he signs, It's all about keeping the positive consistency in key areas of the field in place to build on for next season.
Dru, Ox, Coker, Cox, White, Dimi if possible.

I don't think anyone can argue the fact he had a very shakey start to his time here. I for one felt he didn't look the part but I'm happy to eat humble pie and say he had a very good season. I hope he stays.

Back