• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pickledseal

cowboy
I'm intrigued by this for a variety of reasons... I don't have children, but spend all day every day communicating with young people. Texting is a powerful force and so often communication takes place between parents and their children in this way. Indeed, even at 27 often I will text my own mother instead of calling (I'm a bad son, I know).

Is this something you as parents would use?
Would you kids appreciate it?

A 14 year old teenager, Ella Walton, has created an iphone parenting app called ‘parent text’ to help parents send the right text messages to their children and teenagers.

One of the many issues parents are currently facing is how to communicate effectively with their children and teenagers. Increasingly children and young people communicate with each other and their parents through mobiles and smartphones.

The parent text app. helps with this by providing parents with appropriate, timely, safety and lifestyle text messages and quotes which can be adapted and personalised and sent to their child or teenager.

The application contains a bank of over 1000 pre-loaded messages and quotes divided into 50 sub categories of safety and lifestyle for parents to chose from.

For instance, the safety categories include internet safety, mobile phone safety, travelling safety and safety at parties.

Lifestyle categories include encouragement, friendship, confidence, dating, fitness, money management, looking after the environment and dealing with stress.

The app also includes good luck and birthday messages, some great jokes and some famous quotes from well known people. The application gives parents the confidence to know that the advice they are giving is the right advice for the situation a child is facing.

When the application is downloaded the parent enters the child’s details and the app then filters the messages according to the child’s age and gender.

As many parents will know, life is often busy and time to text or talk to your children can become limited. Parent text overcomes this problem by creating a quick and easy way to keep your children safe. A few simple taps and an appropriate message can be sent and received within seconds!

As well as being a simple, slick and sensible way of effectively communicating with your children it also creates and supports a more intimate relationship between parents and children.

Before the message is sent parents can personalize the message and make it more relevant to their child’s situation.

Ella researched the database, designed the app and then worked with developers to create it. It is now available on the apple store.

These are just some of the quotes that the app. has which can be sent:

We cannot do great things, we can only do small things with great love — Mother Theresa'

'if better is possible, good is not enough ...',

'you’ll see your life go up in smoke—say no to cigarettes',

'A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart …'

'Todays preparation determines tomorrows achievements',

'Give yourself three compliments a day and see your confidence grow',

'Gets lots of sleep and friends you’ll keep'

This is a great way for parents to reach their kids and for them to be able to get key messages across to them in a way they understand!

I wondered if it was real to start with, given the budget website, but it is... http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/parent-text/id469405099?mt=8

Back