• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Parking civic centre lower

I have to say I've used the car park a number of times. Especially if I'm meeting in The Spread for a pre-match pint.

I find it easier just going straight there, rather than driving around the back-streets trying to find a space I can just about squeeze my car in.

It's also convenient for away fans, straight town the A127 etc. Hardly the right 'welcome' from our Council to get a parking ticket, you'd think the Council would actually want to encourage visitors and revenue into the town.

At the expense of local residents. It is considerate to park elsewhere and pay a small fee for that, it then doesnt impede on those who live near by

That makes no sense. People who move to any area near a football ground are well aware that Saturday matchday will be busier.

It's like the people moaning about parking and living next to the airport.

I live by a station and parking can be tough. I knew that when I moved in and definately don't complain about it.

It's also convenient for away fans, straight town the A127 etc. Hardly the right 'welcome' from our Council to get a parking ticket, you'd think the Council would actually want to encourage visitors and revenue into the town.
Before I started using it i rang the council and they said that as long as you Pay and display you would be fine and get not ticket. Maybe people didnt pay and display, they do use this Mobon app thing these days so it could be a little confusing

That makes no sense. People who move to any area near a football ground are well aware that Saturday matchday will be busier.

It's like the people moaning about parking and living next to the airport.

I live by a station and parking can be tough. I knew that when I moved in and definately don't complain about it.
All i said was it is considerate to park say 5/10 mins from the ground, and not impeach on those that live near by. To me thats just a common courtesy. I reckon you do complain some times as it would be frustrating, I Know I would, fortunately I don't have too as I take that in to consideration when buying a house, but I also take in into consideration when going to games home and away.

I do know that some local residents in the area are asking for permit parking in the side roads and are willing to pay for it as well.

All i said was it is considerate to park say 5/10 mins from the ground, and not impeach on those that live near by. To me thats just a common courtesy. I reckon you do complain some times as it would be frustrating, I Know I would, fortunately I don't have too as I take that in to consideration when buying a house, but I also take in into consideration when going to games home and away.

I do know that some local residents in the area are asking for permit parking in the side roads and are willing to pay for it as well.

No it really doesn't bother me as I wanted to be close to station and shops etc. I knew parking would be an issue.

At the end of the day if your vehicle is taxed, then you can park where you like.

No it really doesn't bother me as I wanted to be close to station and shops etc. I knew parking would be an issue.

At the end of the day if your vehicle is taxed, then you can park where you like.
I don't disagree, just saying its courteous, if parking for just 3 quid is available to use it. If they get the permit parking approved then it would be more than the 30 quid fine in the civic centre parking i guess.

Each to their own though.

Last edited:
I've never understood why people park so far from the ground or pay for parking when street parking is a doddle for every home game.
I park in club car park.My late uncle being unable to walk too far was reason but I still park there for convenience really.Its not cheap but cash goes to the club and apart from my season ticket its only money I put into club.

I park in club car park.My late uncle being unable to walk too far was reason but I still park there for convenience really.Its not cheap but cash goes to the club and apart from my season ticket its only money I put into club.

It's a good reason but is it convenient though?

I would imagine it must be carnage getting out of there after a game.

It's not too bad to be honest.I usually wait to get out of the gate by north bank and that's pretty quick

It's not too bad to be honest.I usually wait to get out of the gate by north bank and that's pretty quick

Yep, we do this too, though they weren't opened on Saturday - often aren't if there's a big away support.

I park in club car park.Its not cheap but cash goes to the club and apart from my season ticket its only money I put into club.

What??. You mean you dont buy a Burger & a Coffee?. Hmm thinking about it, you haven't missed much!.

It almost was on Saturday after the game as a 4x4 drove just over the white line driving towards the club shop, almost into 4 elderly fans, nudging the one on the end. They gave the driver a mouthful as he got stuck in the car queue, but he kept his window closed and stared ahead as tho nothing had happened. Seen a few people hit over the years, luckily the speed is so slow there are no injuries. But it really is time they kept drivers there until most of the crowd has gone.

A lot of roads that used to be Free Parking within 5 mins walk from Southend High Street (top end of Scratton Road for example) were made ‘Residents Only’ last year. My wife got a ticket even though there we no road markings or yellow lines. There was one small sign, so she missed it. When we drive through now there are more signs put up - all saying residents only. And ALL empty. No wonder the High Street is dying.

Similar to Civic Centre on match days it’s just another penny grabbing tactic of our hopeless crooked council

It almost was on Saturday after the game as a 4x4 drove just over the white line driving towards the club shop, almost into 4 elderly fans, nudging the one on the end. They gave the driver a mouthful as he got stuck in the car queue, but he kept his window closed and stared ahead as tho nothing had happened. Seen a few people hit over the years, luckily the speed is so slow there are no injuries. But it really is time they kept drivers there until most of the crowd has gone.

There are clear lines on the floor for a purpose, plenty of pedestrians do not stick to them in my experience, and spread out across the road bit. There are two lanes exiting the ground, one to go left and one to go right - some people do not realise and sit in the middle which result in what you just described.

Unfortunately, since we stopped having a policeman there to help get traffic out of the car park, this situation has worsened.

I stopped parking in there for a number of reasons, the main one being that the stewards act like little Fuhrers and I can't stand them. I was threatened with having my car clamped because I left a space between my car and the car that had just parked. I tried to explain I was in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for them to get out and close their doors. (It was a 3 generation family with some very slow old and young people). I pointed out I had left enough room for them to fill the space with another car when they were ready. The steward then threatened to clamp my car even if I did move it, at which point I pointed out there was no benefit in me moving. He then called over the security at which point the steward flatly refused to admit that he had threatened to clamp my car even if I did move it.

I've never parked in there since.

Stewards always seem alright to me. On Saturday, I had a good old natter with one of them about the away games. He used to travel years ago.

Back